Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stupid policy, can it be changed?

God
Grafter

Stupid policy, can it be changed?

Hi Folks
As you might know I am usually a very satisfied plusnet customer and sometimes considered a bit of a fanboy, but today I find myself having to have a rant due to what I consider a ridiculous plusnet policy that needs changing!
I signed up my parents in-law (who are in their eighties) to a plusnet account and am slowly managing to get them half way to computer literate. But today we have a problem and it is plusnets fault.
They were having a problem accessing email (most likely their own doing) so I offered to check it from my computer using web/squirrel mail. The only emails in the inbox were from plusnet advising them that there emails had been archived because they hadn’t accessed their mailbox for a long time, how daft is that?
They are paying their bill every month, they weren’t using much space as they get very few emails and now they have to raise a ticket to get any unread emails reinstated. They are just getting to grips with using a computer; they sure as hell aren’t going to cope with the support system so I will have to try and sort it out.
But the main gripe is that I cannot see the justification for summarily archiving a mailbox (and all the inconvenience that brings) just because it hasn’t been accessed recently, especially and it only contained at most about 20mb. Surely plusnet aren’t that short of server space?
If you are paying your bill your email box should be left alone unless it is hogging masses of disk space. I would like plusnet to un-archive the email without me having to mess about with tech support and for them to change this policy or justify it.
Thanks
32 REPLIES 32
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Stupid policy, can it be changed?

This came up recently - I had thought that archiving was only done for non-subscription accounts. If the damned search on here worked...
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
God
Grafter

They are on Option1.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Found it (by looking through many pages of my recent posts):
It's in a bigger topic, but if you start reading from http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,68532.msg550525.html#msg550525
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
God
Grafter

Yes that is the email that I found. But I can't see any justification for the policy, and as far as the users are concerned they have been accessing it, Now I am not going to push that point because I am not 100% sure they 'actually' managed to access their mail (using outlook express). However I still want to know why plusnet are archiving pensioners bloomin' email accounts to save a handful of megabytes of storage!
It's crazy, unless they somehow managed to accumulate a zillion spam messages in a very short time. Please will a member of plusnet staff look in to this and comment for me?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi God,
That doesn't sound right at all. Can you PM me a username so I can take a look at the account and investigate further please?
Thanks,
Matt
God
Grafter

Cheers Matt I have PM'd the details.
God
Grafter

This is just plain daft. I have checked my records and on the 9th of September I logged in to their computer remotely using ‘logmein’ accessed there outlook program and forwarded one of their emails to myself. So their email was definitely accessed in the last 90 days.
So do I now need to raise a ticket, get on the phone or is something already in hand?
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

I've just prodded Orbrey.  Embarrassed
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
God
Grafter

Quote from: Kelly
I've just prodded Orbrey.   Embarrassed

Peace be with you Kelly  Smiley
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Just to be clear:
In the last 90 days you have:
1) logged into their mailbox
2) forwarded an email that had been received into their mailbox (sent from an external sender) to your address.
3) you have then logged into their mailbox and that email you forwarded had been archived?
If so, I sense a problem.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
God
Grafter

Hah! Ok I have worked out part of the problem. The mail account that I forwarded from is an added mailbox, the default account is the one that has been archived. That may well not have been used, but I still think it's crazy to archive it if the user account is active. I still need it unarchiving to find out what might have been missed.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've unarchived the mailbox for you, any mails that were archived will be restored in around 30 minutes.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
God
Grafter

Cheers Chris, is it likely to get archived again if it isnt used or is there a way of setting a don't archive flag?
Cheers again, it is now available, it contains changes to terms and conditions and notices of direct debits, surely that doesn't make sense to archive the account that you are communicating important items to your customers through?
God
Grafter

Sorry to bump this but I would like an answer. So if the account users are using an added mailbox rather than the main account mailbox will the main mailbox get archived after 90 days including all the service emails about direct debits, terms of service changes etc?
Thanks