cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck with this for another year.

hermit
Dabbler

Stuck with this for another year.

Having problems with a wireless connection to my wifes laptop which is never situated more than 30 feet away from my own neatgear router. Decided to have a go a BT broadband hub so decided to ring for a MAC key. Advised that a Thompson  TG 585 v 7 would do the job and as my usage was low I could get my monthly bill reduced by half. After 2 months the new router is no better and when I informed them and asked where I stand having been with them for over a year, they tell I am now on a further years contract and to terminate it I will have to pay up front. This weekend I was in the process of referring someone from AOL, I have just stopped this. 
19 REPLIES 19
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Stuck with this for another year.

You don't believe that BT advertising do you? The ASA made them change their adverts from a claim that they were the best to nobody does it better.
If you are getting similar results from a Netgear and a Thompson the BT isn't going to be very different (if at all).
Have you tried using different channels?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
scootie
Grafter

i use a program called <a href="http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider">inSSIDer</a> to check for blank spots in signal and also to see what channels other routers are using in the street.
also some of the ideas in this thread may increase your coverage of wireless around your home.http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,77852.0.html
also remember that on bt's low cost package they now restrict iplayer speeds
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Why not just buy a 30 foot ethernet cable?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Or use homeplugs.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

@ hermit,
which is never situated more than 30 feet away from my own

30 ft is Ok in the open air, even 100 ft, But if you are indoors and you have walls in the way that are more than paper thin,you will be lucky to get a signal off any router
Have you checked if any other person is on the channel that you are using, there are 11 and it is often seen that in a busy area more thaqn one on the same channel.
dont discard the suggstions of the other posters, Cable to cat5 is the best, and homeplugs also work well
mal0z
Grafter

My Thomson TG585_7 works throughout the bungalow, 50 feet radius or more include stud partician walls - the signal is "excellent" a at the far end of the place.
Router is on a table and has clear view into the hallway - but keep it as high as you can in the room.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

An internal brick wall (one brick thick)  will severely limit your signal.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

mal0z
Grafter

Good point - it depends on construction of the house. Very many new houses - maybe from 20 or more years ago just have wooden frame and plaster - mine has - and with a wooden door, I get the signal - and PC says "excellent" signal strength 40 feet from router.
mrmarkus1981
Grafter

My old house was built in the 30's, every wall is brick and i get 'excellent' connection everywhere including the end of the garden. With the same router none the less  Cheesy
mal0z
Grafter

This thread set me thinking - so I did the tests I describe here:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,77935.0.html
petejackson
Grafter

Have you considered the laptop as being the problem and tried a different wireless device to check the strength of signal?  Generally the Thomson routers put out an excellent signal.. Would agree with the posters here and try a different channel before doing anything else.
Also consider devices that may be between the router and your laptop.  Handsfree phones and microwave ovens especially are bad.  Anything metal (fridges, bannisters, bedframes) will also interrupt your signal.
Santiago
Grafter

I think the hermit has gone
Maybe he is trying his router in the cave next door?
Diamond
Grafter

It's always something else at fault,  although I have to say my ST585v6 sits in the bedroom of my 1950 Bricks & Mortar Bungalow. I have excellent WI-Fi throughout and through many brick interior walls, signal is good even including inside the caravan at the top of the 100 metre garden.
James
Grafter

Wireless at mine is dreadful.  I struggle getting a signal about 20 feet away in my room (which is up one floor).
It's a Thomson Router, but not a 585.  It's one of the ones with two VoIP ports, but I can never remember the model number.  I'm also far too lazy to change the wireless channel and so on, I just run a 30 foot CAT5E cable up to my room.