cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Streaming

mickfitz

Streaming

I do not use streaming very much but my monthly usage is more than any other data usage. How can I check this?  Smiley
3 REPLIES 3
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Streaming

What do you want to check exactly? Why streaming is so much of your data usage?
Cruise85
Grafter

Hi mickfitz
First of all, the Usage Breakdown graph is made to be used as a guide only, and is in no way 100% accurate.
This is due to how the data is monitored. Our system looks for what 'shape' usage is when it goes through our system and ties that to a particular protocol. For example, the majority of time, when you are watching a video online this will be shaped as 'streaming' when it comes through our network and therefore will be placed under streaming on the graph.
However, sometimes data is not classed as what it actually is. This can be for many different reasons, some highly technical, some as mundane as a reporting error in our system, however this means that some data may not be classed as you would expect. For example there is a piece of software, called Spotify, which allows you to listen to music via your internet connection. This would be normally classed as streaming, but in some circumstances, this can be classed as Peer to Peer.
Hope this helps
Regards
Matt
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

It's also worth noting that streaming can use a lot of bandwidth quite quickly, a few minutes of HD video streaming will likely give more usage than several hours of browsing.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.