cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop the call-waiting music

mchjukes

Stop the call-waiting music

Hello,
Please can you stop the call waiting music. If you have to wait 30 minutes to get an answer it drives you mad. I don't mind waiting. I can just put the phone down and get on with some work. But not if I'm listening to a crackly version of 'Addicted to Love'.
I experimented with a different option - playing along on the piano to the music on call waiting. It was fun for a while. Tom Jones' 'show me the way to amarillo' was playing when I tried it. I was really getting into it and finding the right chords. 'Show me the way to Amarillo' he was crooning, 'Every night I've been hugging my pillow'. But then... the reminder voice comes back in 'sorry to keep you waiting' and when he's done, the song has moved on. No way of finding the right chords again.
So, I think the only option is to quit the music. Please.
Come to think of it, wasn't it Tony Christie who sang 'show me the way to Amarillo'? Or was it Neil Sedaka? Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Matthew
7 REPLIES 7
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Stop the call-waiting music

Classic first post  Grin
I only remember the Tony Christie version but if it sounded like Tom Jones then you may have a fault on your line (possibly some Welsh interference somewhere !)
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I've suggested Metallica but it fell on deaf ears.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
avatastic
Grafter

One could ease the repeat music stress by just having
Bat Out Of Hell [9:47]
Objects In The Rear View Mirror (may appear closer than they are) [10:15]
Tubular Bells [48:57]
That's a good 70 minutes of music with no repeats!
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
dgolubev

+1 to author
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi Matthew,
I do appreciate the creativity, however I'm disappointed that Tom Jones has been even associated with the song Amarillo....
We are working on reducing the queue times as much as possible, which we see as a more sensible option rather than turning the music off. I'm sure that the music wouldn't be half as frustrating if you didn't have to wait for half an hour to speak to us.
Did you get your issue resolved in the end?
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
mchjukes

Thanks for all the responses. I actually would prefer music be turned off even for a 5 minute wait. As I said, the wait isn't a problem. I really don't mind waiting 30 minutes if I can do something else when I am waiting AND I know how long the wait is in advance (you do give average wait times at the beginning but they are not updated throughout).
Do you think people enjoy the music? Do you get enthusiastic responses from people saying 'I had to wait a long time but BOY was I entertained by your music collection in the interim?' I think the aim is just to let you know that you are still connected, but you can do that with the repeated statements that you are on hold.
Anyway, thanks for listening to my thoughts.
amcclean
Rising Star

There are a number of comments on the music, repeats, quality of play back etc. Nothing changes.
A long time ago I think pn  did have you are "n" in the que and time count downs but they disappeared or maybe I have been in the forums so long ago I have mixed dream with reality. Watching The Matrix on itv2 as I type so maybe I have mixed up reality with dreams.
Podman