cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standard Broadband Installation Poll

mushy
Grafter

Standard Broadband Installation Poll

Since we seem to be getting a few missed or incomplete installations at the first attempt i thought it would be interesting to get an idea of the % that had a good and bad experience for those of us that are thinking of joining PN or waiting to upgrade
12 REPLIES 12
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Standard Broadband Installation Poll

This seems a bit pointless, as there are rarely any engineer visits required for a standard ADSL installation.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Agree with jaggies, I didn't have any engineer visits for any of my ADSL installs or changes.
Might better as a phone line install.. but not many people have those done.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Where's the option for 'None'?
When you say 'standard' did you mean 'fibre'?  Undecided
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
mushy
Grafter

Jaggies – You say rarely so it does happen then ?
4C – there is a separate poll for fibre installation
As for the comments
A) It doesn’t mean to say the installation/changeover  completes as expected on the due date and time
B) You still need an engineers visit to the cabinet / exchange in the event of being changed over from an LLU supplier
C) No one mentioned specifically having a home visit for the installation/changeover , it was meant to see how smoothly things progressed during the initial process
Besides it gives everyone scouring the forums that is thinking of joining PN or adding broadband if they already have line rental / phone package in place an idea of performance and what to expect but if you think it is pointless you don’t have to vote or indeed take any notice or reply with negative comments. Obviously some have voted and so thought it was worth while.
Maybe it is more pointless me being on the forum wasting my time if this is all the comments one can expect when trying to give people an idea of how easy the installations/changeovers go and trying to help them make a more informed judgement.
If it is possible I will remove this poll / post after the weekend if that is the way most of you feel about it.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

The problem is most people aren't aware of a visit to an exchange for an ADSL move, a visit would imply that it would be someone entering the premises.
Maybe the question should be rephrased, did your ADSL installation go smoothly and on time or did it require an engineer visit - rather than throwing your toys out of the pram.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
mushy
Grafter

Hi dvorak
Yes i suppose it could have been worded better but was just trying to keep it more or less inline with the fibre installation poll
but No i didn't consider it to be throwing my toys out of the pram, not got to that stage yet, and since members are still voting on it it doesn't seem pointless to me but i guess everyone has their own opinions.
newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

The correct option, for me is not listed - none.
So in answer to this " How many visits did it take to complete your installtion "
None. There was no installation other than me disconnecting an old router and connecting Plusnet's. There would have been no work at the exchange because I just changed from Madasafish ADSL2+ to Plusnet ADSL2+ - same company with a different name. Smiley
And
"Maybe it is more pointless me being on the forum wasting my time if this is all the comments one can expect when trying to give people an idea of how easy the installations/changeovers go and trying to help them make a more informed judgement.
If it is possible I will remove this poll / post after the weekend if that is the way most of you feel about it."
Is spitting your dummy out, in my opinion.
prichardson
Grafter

For a standard ADSL activation these days, there are only rare instances that will trigger a need for an engineer to attend externally from the exchange, only a few of these also ever need a visit to the customers property.
Common delays are listed in the following support document.
http://www.plus.net/support/customer_service/orders/order_problems.shtml
For system problems, capacity issues and markers, this will only be a delay if broadband is possible and not involve a visit.
For incompatible products, these may involve a visit organised by a phone provider if you convert your line for broadband use. Plusnet do not supply phone services that are incompatible, as such no visit would be organised by us for this (minor exceptions occur when you are moving your phone to us, but this response is in the spirit of the original post talking about broadband activation).
DACS line share devices may need a visit to the property, depending on the location of the DACS unit as some may be internal. On other occasions the engineer may also want to perform a "test and demo" after external changes to verify any work was fit for purpose. Generally, DACS will either mean a variable delay (upto several months in some cases), to declaring the removal out of limits which means ADSL would not be possible.
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Another vote for zero. I've voted one on the FTTC poll.
elkieluca
Grafter

Just one word  "None".
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

mushy, I wouldn't get too excited about some of the comments.
You can edit your own posts, I don't know about Polls though. If you can, I guess you could add something along the following lines if you wanted -
to "First Visit" add "or went smoothly on promised date"
to "Second Visit" add "or 2nd promised date"
to "Third Visit" add "or 3rd promised date"
to "More than 3 Visits add "or promised dates".
HTH.
mushy
Grafter

Hi Anotherone
Everyone is entitled to there opinions, thats the way of the world and not everyones is going to be the same.
I have already said i could of worded it better and it didn't come across as i would have hoped but did it in what i thought was in the best interests of members and potential customers of PN.
Having said that i don't think there is much point in just answers like zero and none when that wasn't one of the options so maybe i will rephrase the question to be more appropriate
Maybe there will be an choice for everyone now but i'm sure some one will still find it to be pointless never the less  Wink
Thanks for all the suggestions