Did you mean: 

Spam from Plusnet - received by email

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Spam from Plusnet - received by email

Experience quality gaming and homeworking with Plusnet Pro
Hello.
Here at Plusnet we all know how frustrating it can be to get stuck in a traffic jam, especially when it's preventing you enjoying the best online experience you can. If you work from home or are big on gaming and rely on time sensitive applications, Plusnet Pro provides an ideal solution to keeping your Internet up to speed, even at the busiest times.1 Simply add Pro to your account now, and put an end to the online rush hour.
I am on Value for goodness sake so why would I be interested in quality gaming and homeworking
13 REPLIES 13
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Spam from Plusnet - received by email

Cheesy lol , to be honest i dont think pro add on is any better than just plain extra
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

It's far better when you consider the differences between the rate limits that are applied.
adie:quote

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

pierre_pierre
Grafter

I prefer the rate limits there on Value, it stops the family going mad and busting to 10G
bobboulby
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
It's far better when you consider the differences between the rate limits that are applied.

I'm confused by this. Bob's link suggests that on Extra, gaming and streaming are both at line speed. This link http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/traffic_management.shtml suggests that gaming is "managed" and streaming is "slowed down".
Which is right?
Bob
Edit - or to put it another way, is there any advantage in having the pro add-on for streaming (iPlayer, ITV Player etc.)?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Only if the game isn't correctly identified  is Pro better
For the others - no advantage whatsoever
bobboulby
Grafter

Then this page http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/traffic_management.shtml is surely wrong?
Bob
Edit - for streaming anyway.
bobboulby
Grafter

And for console gaming, am I right in saying that there is no advantage either?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Was discussed earlier - streaming includes YouTube which is rate limited
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml
bobboulby
Grafter

The point I'm trying to make Jim is that if my assumptions are correct, the two web pages are confusing and/or contradictory and that the e-mail is misleading.
This isn't an academic debate by the way. We watch quite a lot of streamed content in our house and my two sons are in to PS3 gaming. If there was an advantage in the pro add-on, I might consider it.
Bob
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: bobboulby
Quote from: Bob

I'm confused by this. Bob's link suggests that on Extra, gaming and streaming are both at line speed. This link http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/traffic_management.shtml suggests that gaming is "managed" and streaming is "slowed down".
Which is right?

Both. The rate limiting is completely separate to the ToS markings the Ellacoya apply (Titanium, Gold, Bronze etc.)
Anything in the Gold queue or below needs to be stated as 'Managed' as a minimum on the page here (Ofcom requirement). The reason Streaming is 'Slowed down' for Extra on that page is due to the YouTube rate limiting as per the page here.
Edit - or to put it another way, is there any advantage in having the pro add-on for streaming (iPlayer, ITV Player etc.)

YouTube is the only noticeable difference really (rate limited to 2.5Mbps for two hours of the day on Extra). Other than that, no I don't think there is any advantage.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobboulby
Grafter

Thanks for clarifying Bob, and what about the gaming question?
And for console gaming, am I right in saying that there is no advantage either?

Bob
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Little advantage.
The only time there would be is where our traffic management platform isn't classifying a game correctly. With Extra, the traffic would get lumped in a queue where it's likely to affect the performance of the game, whereas with Pro it wouldn't.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Officerdribble
Grafter

I'm not so much interested in line speed, but the idea of a VPN sourced from my own ISP intrigues me. Can it be set up on a tablet computer and used for secure connections when travelling abroad?
Thanks.
Sorry, just realised that it isn't an addition of a VPN server to the pro offer, but merely the guarantee of speed when using a third party VPN.  Embarrassed
Scratch the enquiry.