cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So far so bad...

DominicM
Grafter

So far so bad...

well have been with you 14days so far.. and the email I got this morning sums it up..
Now that your service has now been active for 14 days, we thought we'd let you know the speed as it stands today, by way of comparison.
Estimated line speed: 3.5Mbps
Current line speed: 0.35Mbps
You can keep a track of your line speed through our website:

I have been waiting over 60 hours for a reply in the member centre.#37834834 Status: Awaiting Support Team answer 
The lowest speed I have with other ISP's in 3 years is 2mb - this is not a good start...
Am Seriously Frustrated - have 4gb to download before new year, at this rate, it may finish by 2012.. maybe,,,
57 REPLIES 57
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: So far so bad...

Hi DominicM,
If you raise this to us as an intermittent fault at http://faults.plus.net we'll be able to get this investigated for you. Post back here once the ticket is raised and I'll make sure I chase it through for you.
DominicM
Grafter

#38057606 - I wont hold my breath, but thanks for at least acknowledging I exist...  Grin
but I wouldnt call it intermittent, I would call it systemic, or catastrophic..
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for that - I'll get on it now and be back with an update for you I hope by early afternoon, but definitely today.
DominicM
Grafter

Yet another broken promise from Plusnet  Angry Angry - No call - No update on tickets,,
I thought you  were meant to be a professional company, this is my 3rd broken promise so far in the first 14 days... ...am beginning to think you are a bunch of cowboys who dont have a clue, at least when I contact Hyderabad for support I normally get a resolution, so much for a british call centre..
DominicM
Grafter

This is getting rediculous...
on 11th Dec I was told: "May I just confirm a few details and i will get this raised as a fault for you."
I have just had a response today finally to that help request to say:
"I apologise for the delay in replying to you, I can see you have raised a fault to us, I have passed the faults ticket to the correct team to investigate, once they have an update on the work they have done they will update you.  Please allow 72 hrs for the team's work, and to contact you back."
So I have to wait  up to further 72 hrs for a issue which I was promised would have been raised a week ago...
They have to go a long way to restore any good will towards them, If you are reading this and ask, would I reccomend Plusnet, the answer so far is a resounding NO!!!
infact I think I will just post that on facebook to stop others experiencin such rubbish service ( the word I wanna use gets censored)

mikko
Grafter

Maybe Matt was abducted by aliens?  Huh
He's usually pretty well on the ball.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi DominicM,
I'm sorry I haven't got back to you before now, there's an order placed at the moment to apply interleaving to your line which is due to complete tomorrow. It looks like that might have taken effect as your later connections have been lasting around 24 hours rather than the shorter connections previously.
It could be the case though that the DLM system has dropped your line speed and that's what's stabilised things - are you still seeing dropping connections and/or slow speeds when using the broadband?
DominicM
Grafter

yes the speed id truly awful..  worst choice I have ever made moving to plusnet, especially as being Part of BT your service should be superior..
I understand about the speed resrtictions during the day. but over night expect my full bandwidth of up to 3.5mb for downloads like you promised, as I said, before the move the lowest speed I have had in 3 years is a stable 2mb minimum.. I will not be happy with less than this..
Sadly a 400kbps download speed over night, just isnt acceptable...
Could it be the DLM thats screwing things up? Or maybe the line from echange has developed a fault, either way it need sorted..
I know its not you Matt, having worked in a callcentre, I know you pass it on, and some other colleague makes the error, hence why I am being restraind, but I am fast losing my patience with your organisation, as I said, if if wasnt for the fact its too late to stop the phone move would tell your organisation where to stick it
I am really not happy, maybe I should only pay you a pro-rata payment based on my connection speed, maybe someone then would decide to fix the problem
DominicM
Grafter

http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ message has not changed for a week.
Download speedachieved during the test was - 235 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 100-500 Kbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 350 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 12.53:27.01:60.46 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.
The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You've omitted the current sync speed part from the test results, in any case the full router stats (sync speed, attenuation and noise margin) would be useful.
How long has your current connection been up?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
DominicM
Grafter

Thx jelv, this time about 36 hrs so far - longest since connecting
If I was using my belkin/netgear I could tell you..
But i am using  supplied Thompson 585v8 I was sent.. I get the login at http://192.168.1.254 but my username and password are not working, is there a special one?
Ok We have an improvement, I just reconnected my netgear, but its still 1/3 of what I was geting with my previous ISP
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1152 kbps 443 kbps
Line Attenuation 46.5 db 25.6 db
Noise Margin 26.5 db 25.3 db
DominicM
Grafter

Quote from: Matt
Hi DominicM,
I'm sorry I haven't got back to you before now, there's an order placed at the moment to apply interleaving to your line which is due to complete tomorrow. It looks like that might have taken effect as your later connections have been lasting around 24 hours rather than the shorter connections previously.
It could be the case though that the DLM system has dropped your line speed and that's what's stabilised things - are you still seeing dropping connections and/or slow speeds when using the broadband?

matt,
was just reading on your website: https://portal.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/broadband_terminology.shtml#Sync
8. Interleaving
Interleaving is a form of error correction that can help reduce the number of 'errors' on a line. This will be activated by default on new broadband services and where a fault has previously been reported. It helps to stabilise a line that might otherwise suffer frequent disconnections. One drawback of interleaving is that it can increase ping times, which may cause problems for people that play online games. Whilst we'd recommend against it, if it is switched on, interleaving can be turned off if you ask us.

so does this mean my broadband has not been setup correclty, according to this the default is to have interleaving on.
if this has been messed up what else has.?Huh
DominicM
Grafter

LOL - I had an email off CSC
We are pleased to be able to inform you that a member of our Customer Support Centre has now closed Question number [ 38130227 ].

Its not even one of my open question numbers... ;D.  the words: party arrange couldn't brewery in spring to mind but not in that order.. Wink
DominicM
Grafter

well - I finally got my phonecall - Thank you Ben..
Looks like it needs a BT engineer in to check the line...  at least we seem finally to be making progress..