Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I join Plusnet

FIXED
Ricky45
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Should I join Plusnet

Hi, should I join plusnet, reasons why I ask this.

I took the plunge into fibre with Vodafone 38Mb package in November, everything seemed OK for the first four months then peak time speeds started to drop to 1-4 Mps, speeds became extremely erratic also, long story short, after weeks of test and lies they finally admitted the line had a fault and was over subscribed and they couldn't do anything about it or when it would be resolved and said I was free to leave with out penalty.

So if I join Plusnet will this problem just carry over, I just don't want to sign up for an 18 month contract only to have the same issues, thanks.

53 REPLIES 53
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: Should I join Plusnet

which is it? a line fault or oversubsribed? they are two different things.
if it's a line fault then it doesn't matter which ISP as it'll still be there unless you get it fixed.

over subscribed - they would need to clarify that a bit more. which part is oversubsribed?
the cabinet? the exchange? their own backhaul?
Ricky45
Grafter

Hi, thanks, for the response, it was finally admitted to me that there was a "fault and the line was over subscribed", these are the words they used, I think the word fault was the apology part due to the months of telling me there was nothing wrong.

But I will ring and ask them today, they also said a lot of people where effected but they did not now when or even if it was going to be fixed, they just didn't seem to care.

They don't have any technical people at hand, it took me two months just to get it looked into and one call from a Scottish engineer confirming the above, so it could be hard to find out what is oversubscribed.

My outdoor copper line and socket where installed about four years ago by open reach, I would say it is just over subscribed because it is the same times, peak time afternoon and evenings when my speed would drop drastically and then at 1am my speeds would rocket straight back up to normal until either midday the next day or around 4pm to 5pm.

I expect, like everyone, that peak time speeds are going to be lower, just not 95% lower, my minimum guaranteed speed was 20Mbp apparently, not 1Mps to 4Mps, thanks.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter

Gythral8PNC
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

It maybe Vodafone's cabinet that is oversubscribed - moving would solve this

or it maybe the BT Openreach Fibre cabinet - moving to Plusnet will not solve this

The fault (which is likely a copper cable fault) is Openreach and will follow you until Openreach fix it, unless it is a cable fault in your home, you can test this & if it is your cable you need to fix it

Ricky45
Grafter

Thanks for reply, I will need to change soon anyway as my daytime speeds seem to average 15Mps, I use every available broadband tests to determine speed, including test downloads from https://www.thinkbroadband.com/download.

But when Netflix and amazon video will only stream in SD at certain times a know it is below a certain speed, off peak it streams in full 1080p. Will ring them when I get home to see if they can clarify the problem, thanks again.

SGTE
Dabbler

I have been with Plusnet since 2000 - and am happy with their service an support.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

From the speeds you mention as normal it looks like you are a long way from your cabinet. What speeds does the BT checker at https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ give if you enter your phone number?

Did you have ADSL before upgrading to fibre?

David
Ricky45
Grafter

Hi, had to enter post code and address into BT test, but my speeds use to reach 38Mbps at certain times of day and would normally stay above 20 to 25 Mbps, but then they suddenly dropped off about four months ago, then weeks of calls to vodafone, testing and then they finally told me about the line being over subscribed etc.

Yes had ADSL before, speeds 3 to 4Mbps, local cabinet about 500 meters away. My average speed now off peak about 1am is 15Mbps instead of over 35Mbps. So 15Mbps seems the fastest speed I can get now off peak.

VDSL Range A Clean Downstream line rate Mbps high 76 low 55.8, Upstream line rate Mbps high 20 low 18.5

Downstream Handback Threshold Mbps Clean 49.1 Impacted 35

Avaible yes

VDSL Range B impacted Downstream line rate Mbps high 68.3 low 42, Upstream line rate Mbps high 20 low 11

Available yes

FTTP on Demand, Downstream line rate Mbps 330 Upstream line rate Mbps 30,

WBC FTTP date available 

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The DSL checker not recognising your phone number should imply your phone line terminates in the exchange on an LLU frame. That means migrating to Plusnet would involve re patching it in the exchange onto a BT frame  I'm not sure whether any of the FTTC circuits would have to be changed - they would if Vodafone don't use BT network infrastructure. Possibly they don't and that is where overcapacity comes in.

Whilst postcode and address checks can be imprecise it does seem even your off-peak speeds are considerably below what they should be, which is presumably the result of the fault. If you pick up your phone and dial a digit to cancel dial tone is there any noticeable noise on the line? (I'm guessing the normal BT quiet line test - 17070 option 2 - won't work on an LLU line.)

David
chenks76
All Star

vodafone have their own network.
Ricky45
Grafter

Thanks for all your help and replies, I think I will take a chance with plusnet, it can't be any worse then my current provider, who seem to have no control of there network or care.

I´m sure it uses the bt network, thanks again.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

If I read your DSL results correctly then they have "WBC FTTP date available ". This means Fibre to the Premises is available (or soon will be as I'm not certain about the "date" bit).

If so, then PlusNet have a trial FTTP product available for existing customers - based on FTTC products / prices.

Brian

chenks76
All Star

no vodafone have their own network.
the only part of the BT network they use is from your house to the exchange, which is the same for every ISP.

from the exchange they have their own backhaul network.

bare in mind that if it's a line fault from the house to the exchange then the fault will still be there no matter which ISP you choose.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I see so they have their own kit from the exchange onwards?

Problem is for the OP is changing to an 18 month contract and finding it doesn't fix the problem. I am not sure what the best solution is for that.

Ricky45
Grafter

Thanks for replies, I´m pretty sure it´s not a line fault my end, that would have been an relatively easy fix, had no problems with previous ISP speed on ADSL, constant 3.1Mbps, the only technical person who actually did call me back said a lot of people where affected, the line had been over subscribed and they didn't know when or if it would be fixed.

But a line fault from exchange?  

Sorry I thought bt justed leasedd out the network to other companies, sounds like an internal vodafone problem?

Does WBC FTTP mean fibre to my house.