cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Self install Fibre due at end of the month, you ready for it?

hillyfields123
Grafter

Re: Self install Fibre due at end of the month, you ready for it?

I know that every day thousands of engineer visit go ahead as planned with great service and a solution.
However this is as it should be for the ONLY company able to maintain & install telephone lines - Network Rail get a ridiculous fine every time they don't do something right, why do BTOR get away with it?
If there was competition for telephone line maintenance then perhaps OR would be spurred on to do a better job than they currently do so?
Paul
kitz
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: ejs
There is now a 589vac model with ac wireless.

Nice.. and it actually has GbE ports! 
Thanks Id not spotted that...  although a quick google doesnt pull up any UK retailers yet so no idea of the price.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The 589vac only had 100Mb LAN ports in the v1.0 datasheet, but I see the v2.0 datasheet does indeed say Gb LAN ports and added a 1Gb WAN port.
x47c
Grafter

Quote from: hillyfields123
However this is as it should be for the ONLY company able to maintain & install telephone lines - Network Rail get a ridiculous fine every time they don't do something right, why do BTOR get away with it?

Ah, but if N.Rail have a line which is uneconomic they close it down
BTOR cannot by law close down/abandon phone lines if they simply cost too much to maintain - its part of the universal service obligation.
I'm sure if they could abandon all the expensive nightmare rural lines they would.
So they are stuck being forced to maintain stuff which is frankly dire.
It is dire because in many cases it is aluminum which corrodes and lest we forget was installed when BT was in public ownership and called the GPO.  So much for the oft quoted claim that if it was nationalised it would all be done properly: yeah right.
But fundamentally the problem is that no one wants to pay the real cost of getting it done properly and fast.
Those customers that do and ARE prepared to pay go and buy a BT business line at considerable expense and do get faults fixed fast, do get BTOR turning up when they say, do get UK call centres, do get the call centre phones answered after a few rings.

kitz
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: ejs
The 589vac only had 100Mb LAN ports in the v1.0 datasheet, but I see the v2.0 datasheet does indeed say Gb LAN ports and added a 1Gb WAN port.

Yep..  so it could well be one to watch. The lack of GbE for me has always been a bone of contention.
I shall be interested to see what price this comes in at... or whether the AC wireless pushes the cost up a lot.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Today is the day, so any update plusnet?
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You are putting the cart before the horse
Until Plusnet offer an all in one router they can't offer self install and I can't imagine that they would jump in with self install until they have proved it in a lot of assisted installs
Of course I could be wrong but I wouldn't bet on it
AndyH
Grafter

I read somewhere that Openreach are due to withdraw the managed install option with the Openreach modem this time next year, leaving just wires only - so anytime between now and then narrows it down a bit.
RJM
Rising Star

It seems it is available with BT with this proviso "* Engineer installation may be required to help optimise your speed. We'll let you know when you're placing your order if this applies to you. "

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband/getting-ready-for-bt-infinity
ejs
Aspiring Hero

You might want or need an engineer to install a modern master socket if you don't currently have one, and remove any star wiring. The WBC FTTC handbook does seem to allow for no Service Specific Front Plate and having a plug-in filter at each socket instead, but I don't think that set-up will be optimal.
AndyH
Grafter

Confirmed by the AAISP boss: Openreach to no longer supply modems from late 2015 - http://www.revk.uk/2014/10/bt-losing-plot-on-fttc.html
chrcoluk
Grafter

shame.
Finding a good alternative to the trusty hg612 that looks like it costs a fiver to make Smiley is not that easy.
Today I tried a zyxel VMG8324V B10A in brudge modem and the newer BCM chipset with newer drivers is pretty good, about 4mbit attainable higher sync speed and about 2mbit higher actual sync speed with comparable error rates, the one issue is it seems buggy, and check mytbb graph for today you see massive packetloss whilst it was in use, and in real use, downloads cut out after 1-3 seconds, web pages need multiple retries to load etc.  I sent a email to zyxel and will see if they can make a fix.  I also have a billion 8800nl on order which has same dsl chipset as the zyxel.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

more here http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2014/10/aaisp-angered-bt-openreachs-self-install-fttc-broadband...
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Nasty
Does that mean that Plusnet may have to piggyback on a BT Router as it is fairly clear that Technicolor won't get theirs approved within any sensible timescale
ejs
Aspiring Hero

But customers are still allowed to use their own VDSL2 modem/routers. So couldn't an ISP just set up some "entirely independent" separate company to supply the modem/router?