cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Self install Fibre due at end of the month, you ready for it?

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Self install Fibre due at end of the month, you ready for it?

Possibly if it is a clear fault but not if it is a speed fault
Even where Plusnet testing indicates a fault external to the property on ADSL BT Openreach are still capable of claiming that it is the users equipment and if the equipment isn't approved that is a clear excuse and they can then charge
AndyH
Grafter

Varying speed issues during the day shouldn't generally require an engineer appointment, although in a lot of cases they still come out.  It's not uncommon for an engineer to blame the ISP or end user equipment when he can't find a fault. Whether that ends up on the ISP's monthly bill, I have no idea.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Quote from: AndyH
Quote from: dave
We don't offer an option in our fibre signup journey to provide your own router for 2 reasons, first 99.99% of people signing up won't have a suitable VDSL router and secondly even if they did the router probably wouldn't have gone through the Openreach testing.

So it would look like it's not a necessity to go through the Openreach testing.

I think dave was talking about the router the end user already had, not one supplied by an ISP.
AndyH
Grafter

I was referring to this bit though (think he means VDSL modem/router)- While a router doesn't need to go through the Openreach testing
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

What it says on page 28 of the WBC FTTC handbook is:
Where Customers who wish to order the Self Install product variant, they must supply a
device that combines a VDSL Modem with the Router. It is critical that customers
understand that such devices must conform to SIN 498 and must have been tested
against that standard.