cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rubbish e mail client

paulac123
Dabbler

Rubbish e mail client

Web Mail is rubbish! I have only just joined PN and what they have done now to 'secure' e mails is doing my head in, you have to click twice to read the damned things,this  doesn't happen with other web sites. Unfortunately I have just let my contacts know my new e mail address and there are too many to go through the whole process again of setting up a new e mail client.GRRR.
9 REPLIES 9
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Rubbish e mail client

Hi there,
Sorry to hear you feel that way, but you don't need to use webmail to use our email service if you don't want to - you can use any regular mail client, whichever you're used to. Details on how to set up various email programs for accessing our servers can be found on our website: http://www.plus.net/support/email/setup/
Hope that helps,
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Hi there,
Can you perhaps elaborate on what you mean by:
[quote author="paulac123"]... you have to click twice to read the damned things...
I can view emails by single clicking the hyperlink in the message list? Huh
You may also be interested that we're in the process of making a new Webmail solution available. Drop me a private message if you'd like a bit more info (although please be aware I've a bit of a backlog of messages to get through at the moment so it may take me a day or two to get round to replying).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Bob, I suspect it's probably the extra click needed to display the linked images.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Bob

Can you perhaps elaborate on what you mean by:

@Bob,
I think what he means is that one needs to click again on "View Images" tab as the images are NOT displayed for security reasons.
Chandu.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Ah, thanks guys - that would make sense! Roll_eyes

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

David_W
Rising Star

Not sure it would be that?  Gmail does it by default so does any webmail client as well as software solutions like Outlook.  The reason being (dredging my memory up from long ago...).  Spammers would put a white image file 1px by 1px in a spam email so you can't see it, if your client automatically downloaded images it would download the 1px by 1px file which would validate your email address to the spammers.  There was also I believe an issue with, I think it was a virus or some sort of malware which could be loaded into an image so when it was automatically loaded you'd get, ahem "pwnd" as it were.  Before that, Outlooks default setting was to display images, these exploits caused the change.
moreofthesame
Grafter

squirrel mail is poo. Yes nice and simple but always throws me out and doesn't delete spam properly, I believe it's a firewall issue, I'm not going to switch that on/off every time I want to access my squirrel messages.
However, I have just set up other email clients as per:-
Quote from: Matt
Details on how to set up various email programs for accessing our servers can be found on our website: http://www.plus.net/support/email/setup/

which seems to be the solution. It worked for me.
TheIslander
Grafter

Try Mail2Web it may help. I have inserted a link below.
http://mail2web.com/
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: Bob
You may also be interested that we're in the process of making a new Webmail solution available.

Shouldn't be too long now folks! Cool

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team