cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router hasn't arrived

Bookman
Grafter

Router hasn't arrived

Hello,  I agreed to a switch to fibre and we agreed for the BT engineer's visit to be this coming Friday (30th October). I was told a router would be sent to me in advance rather than it coming with the engineer. That was 11 days ago but I still haven't received the router. I don't know how you send it but please don't leave it until the last minute - post doesn't arrive here until the afternoon and first class post often takes two days.
Thanks,
Peter
12 REPLIES 12
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Router hasn't arrived

It looks like the agent didn't add it to your account.
I've fed this back and ordered it for you now.
It should be there by Friday.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Bookman
Grafter

Matthew, it's a good job I asked then! I imagine the BT man would have had some choice words for the agent if he'd arrived to find no router. Perhaps Plusnet shouldn't rely on the agent getting it right (whoever the agent is) and needs to set up an automated check a fixed number of days before the BT appointment?
Thanks for the quick response,
Peter    Smiley
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

the openreach engineer doesn't need the router to complete his/her work.
they simply ensure there is a connection at the OR modem.
Bookman
Grafter

Matthew, another point. I was promised a written copy, presumably email, of the full details and features of the account that we agreed but I haven't had that either.
Chenks76, my friends have had the router set up for them by the BT engineer. When I agreed my fibre deal with Plusnet I was told "it would be up and running at 40GB when the engineer left".
chenks76
All Star

the openreach may have indeed done that, but it is not a requirement for them to do so.
the openreach engineer installed the OR modem and completes the line tests using that, the router is not required to do that.
also, if they said you have be "running at 40GB" then they misled you.
they have no way of telling what speed you will actually get until the install has been completed.
Bookman
Grafter

Quote from: chenks76
Also, if they said you have be "running at 40GB" then they misled you.
they have no way of telling what speed you will actually get until the install has been completed.

Now that's interesting. When told it would be an 18-month contract for unlimited fibre and 40GB connection I asked the Plusnet employee what happens if I don't get the promised 40GB. He specifically stated that 40GB was guaranteed, plus or minus 1GB. I assumed that he was telling the truth because when I entered my post code and phone number on the BT checker it said something like 68GB would be potentially available.
Are Plusnet staff telling lies to get orders?  Shocked
chenks76
All Star

you keep saying "40GB", but i will assume you are making the same typo and actually mean 40MB.
it's an "up to" 40Mbps connection.
any speed "promise" given out before the installation has actually taken place is simply a educated guess based on what openreach think you may get.
chances are you may get extremely close to 40Mbps, but it's impossible to tell until the installation has taken place.
if they actually used the word "guaranteed" (which i doubt) then they have made a mistake.
also the "plus or minus 1GB" (again i will assume a typo). it's impossible for it to be plus 1Mbps as they profile is capped at a max of 40Mbps. it can never be 41Mbps.
also, it's advertised as "up to" 38Mbps anyway, never 40.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Just a warning. If you have indeed signed up for the 38 Mbps product, your upload will be restricted to 2 Mbps which you may find to be very limiting.
Bookman
Grafter

chenks76, thanks for correcting my typos, it should indeed be Mbps, not GB! I accept what you say about not knowing the speed until after installation, but I was definitely told `guaranteed' 40Mbps plus or minus...something which I think I heard as 1 or 2Mbps. I'm not in any doubt about the word `guaranteed' being used. Plusnet should be able to check back on their `recorded for training purposes' tapes. I still haven't had any details in writing. I was warned I might not get that speed in the first 10 days but definitely afterwards. Anyway, we'll see what happens in a couple of days time.
tijara33, thanks for your comment. I don't have much to upload so that shouldn't be a problem.
chenks76
All Star

ahh.. the old 10 day training myth for FTTC.
there is no 10 day training for FTTC (that's just for ADSL).
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

yes its getting regular for PN staff to sell Fiber with a 10 day training  Cheesy
About time PN Trained their Staff not to say this
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Bookman
Grafter

And perhaps  its getting regular for PN staff to sell fibre with `guaranteed' 40Mbps as they did with me, as I described above. Perhaps PN could check back on their recordings of phone conversations, it was between 12.30 and 1.00pm on 16th October shortly after Matthew Wheeler had told me in the forums that the waiting time for the COT team was currently 2 minutes. Time to set up `mystery shoppers'!