cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Returning to Plusnet for FTTC

shadow4dog
Grafter

Returning to Plusnet for FTTC

I left Plusnet way back in 2005 ish for Be.
I had an ADSL Max line which BT said should reach about 2Mb but within 3 months of being on Plusnet it dropped to less than 250k. I eventually traced the problem to a faulty part in our central heating boiler. Once that had been fixed I still experienced really slow speeds, I think the BT DLM had decided that 250k was all my line could support and to be honest Plus.net just didn't seem that bothered to address it saying it was a long line etc. To be honest I think this was more to do with BT's systems that Plus.net but I was fed up and moved broadband supplier. Once the line was transferred to Be the sync went up to about 3Mb and after buying the Billion 7800N has been syncing very happily at 4.6Mb!!! I was happy.
Now it's 2012 and FTTC has just arrived in my area. In fact I think I'll be the first one connected on my CAB! The choice, for me, was between BT Infinity and Plusnet Fibre Extra. I've had family experience Sky and Talktalk LLU but not Fibre and though they've had few problems they experience awful congestion. Plusnet won because of its UK based call center. My installation appointment is confirmed for the 22nd November and I really can't wait. I just hope things go better for me than for many I've read in this forum!
Thanks
Tim
15 REPLIES 15
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Returning to Plusnet for FTTC

Hi there,
I've noticed a number of similar posts of late so as per my reply to those just let me know if there's any issues at all with the order and I'll get on the case. Otherwise I don't mind keeping an eye on the progress of the order in the early stages too if you'd find that more reassuring.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mushy
Grafter

Adam kept an eye on my installation and it all went through fine despite me having reservations, you will hear more about the ones that don't go ok but there are many that do work ok first time, hopefully yours will go ok as well.
shadow4dog
Grafter

I'm like you mushy... I have reservations but I'm also being optimistic. I feel that most of the problems I've seen are with BT Openreach who are stretched at the best of times. So I'll be unlucky if it doesn't go according to plan. Thanks for helping Adam and mushy.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

No worries, I've just had a look at your account shadow4dog and can see fibre has been activated now so let me know if there's any issues at all.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
shadow4dog
Grafter

Well not a good start from BT. They turned up just after 4pm. Found they didn't have the keys to the CAB and didn't have time to wait for someone with keys to attend. Now been told I have to re-book and make sure the engineer attends has keys for the CAB.
Called Plusnet and Ben tells me that the BT man has found the keys and will install it today!
This isn't good because my line will get switched off soon!
shadow4dog
Grafter

Well it's 7pm and no engineer has installed anything but at least I have still got broadband and phone from my previous supplier.
I can't believe that BT send an engineer who isn't able to access their own CAB! Unbelievable!
My line gets cut off on the 6th December so that's going to be interesting.
prettyflyguy
Grafter

Quote from: shadow4dog
Well it's 7pm and no engineer has installed anything....
My line gets cut off on the 6th December so that's going to be interesting.

I really hope they can get an engineer out to complete your install sooner than they could for me,  my next visit is 4 weeks after the first partial install.
Engineers supposed to come Tomorrow, We'll see if goes to plan this time  Grin
shadow4dog
Grafter

I hope your appointment went to plan. I'm still waiting for communications between Openreach and Plusnet. Hopefully today or tomorrow I'm told by Plusnet support.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there, looks like our team have been able to expedite your order and get you a replacement appointment? Hope everything goes ahead on that date, sorry for the hassle.
shadow4dog
Grafter

Hi Matt,
Thank you for updating me. Hopefully my second install attempt will be successful. Fingers crossed.
Thanks
Tim
shadow4dog
Grafter

Second attempt at FTTC installation failed. BT failed to keep their promised appointment.
New appointment provisionally booked. Hopefully Plusnets Ben will be able to keep a better eye on it than has been done in the past.
Third time lucky?
Thanks
Tim
shadow4dog
Grafter

Success!
An excellent BT Openreach engineer came and installed FTTC this morning. He was really excellent and did way more than I expected him to do. I got the impression that FTTC installs are putting quite a strain on BT right now.
The sync for him was very quick. 80Mb but Plusnet's DLM seems to have capped me at 35Mb/s but as I'm still in the first period and I'm sure it'll find it's level eventually. 35Mb is very fast!
Thanks Plusnet. It worked out in the end.
Tim
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Looks like that's been matched to the BT side at 77400 for you - that should have improved the speed further for you, please let us know if not?
shadow4dog
Grafter

Hi Matt,
Thanks very much for your help setting up my new Plusnet FTTC connection it really is fantastic. Ben in provisioning was absolutely brilliant as was the BT engineer who installed it...
Thanks
Tim