cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query

Oddquine

Query

(posted this in both this forum and the feedback one, because I didn't know which one the support staff read. Fell free to delete whichever one is in the more inappropriate place)
I started the connection check..then realised there was no point........because if I could check........then I was connected.  Embarrassed
Before Christmas 2009, the internet in my area (Lybster) went down completely due to a fault in the line because of the weather between us and Inverness, and had not been repaired before I went to the offspring for Christmas and the New Year.
I did not get back home until the beginning of January...and ever since my return, my connection has dropped intermittently......sometimes reconnecting within seconds...sometimes taking longer.....and sometimes taking hours.
Having been with Plusnet with no/very few problems since 2006 in two places in the same area, I can't find out who I should be screaming at.....Plusnet or BT..because neither show problems with the line....but I have been having problems since the beginning of January..
Wondering if the fact that my router gets red hot within a short time of going online has anything to do with it.  I don't run it 24/7......but I do run it  from the time I go online, until I go to bed, because I wander back and forth to the PC......and the longer it is on, the more often it appears to cut out.
So am I looking at a Plusnet problem, a BT problem or a duff router?
2 REPLIES 2
artificer
Grafter

Re: Query

my netgear dg834g has been going non-stop (pretty much) for about five years and is warm to the touch over the lights.  apart from that it is cool.  i would suggest your diagnosis is spot on, but to alleviate its condition while you source a new router, hoist it up on blocks to allow greater airflow.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Query

It might be worth trying a different version of the firmware but as artificer says it does sound like the router's overheating for some reason. Let us know if not though and we'll look further into it for you.