Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Qriocity Video on Demand

glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Qriocity Video on Demand

I've been trying to watch  movies on Sonys Qriocity video streaming service but I can't watch more than ten seconds on HD or SD videos without it stopping to re buffer. I've tried this over several days and at different times of the day with the same results. My sinc speed is well high enough at 14 meg so I'm wondering if the problem is with PlusNet traffic management. Any thoughts please because I've wasted nearly £15 so far.
29 REPLIES 29
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Qriocity Video on Demand

Have you tried running Wireshark to see what it is seen as
glloyd
Rising Star

It's running into a Sony Blue Ray player so can't run Wireshark.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

You need to raise a ticket and ask if the Sonys Qriocity video streaming service is in gold or treated as normal traffic (i.e. throttled).
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: glloyd
It's running into a Sony Blue Ray player so can't run Wireshark.

Not true, but it's not so easy. You need to get hold of a HUB, not a switch. You need a PC and the Blue Ray player plugged in to the hub and the hub uplinked to your router. A hub echos all traffic to all ports so you can now use wireshark on the PC to monitor the traffic from the Blue Ray player.
Where you get a hub from might be another matter. You need to be careful as a lot of posting on eBay called hubs are in fact switches. I think you will find hubs will generally only be 10BASE-T (not 100mbps) - slower than your internet connection but fine for the purposes of investigating your problem. Netgear EN104TP or 3COM OfficeConnect are examples of such a boxes.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
glloyd
Rising Star

It definately traffic shaping as it was fine after midnight but I aint going to stop up all night to watch films.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Just dug out the hub I have used in the past for a similar problem (Wireshark couldn't see all the VPN traffic), it's a Linksys 5-port Workgroup Hub.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

glloyd,
I've just checked your account and can see that you've been asked to run Qriocity on your PC, apologies I know this isn't possible. I've passed the ticket back internally to the right team. We'll check our traffic management system and let you know how this is currently prioritised and if we can see a need to change the priority.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
glloyd
Rising Star

Thanks Adam, what would we do without you. Now you understand why customers get frustrated.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Now you understand why customers get frustrated.

I certainly can when things like this happen. I've given the agents who dealt with the ticket some feedback on how it could have been handled better.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
glloyd
Rising Star

Seems to be going back and forth again withone agent wanting me to download a film beween 8.30am and 5.30pm, no problem I can do that. But that was followed by another reply saying it's been passed to the correct department for a reply. Crazy Roll_eyes
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi glloyd,
Sorry about the delay on this, I'll make sure I chase it for you first thing tomorrow when everyone's back in the office.
glloyd
Rising Star

What a bloody shambles C/S is these days. I asked a simple question which has resulted in no end of replies some from agents asking the same question as I asked. If they can't sort out a minor problem like this god help those with more serious problems.
godsell4
Rising Star

If the BR player is wireless, then you stand some hope of using a wireless laptop running Wireshark to capture the data from the BR player too. I used this method some years back to debug some traffic shaping issue with a PS2 game which had problems due to the PN traffic management,
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If you use a Thomson router you can mirror network traffic from one port to another, basically meaning that if the Blu-ray player is on port 3 then you can wireshark the traffic using a PC on port 4. Log in to the CLI (via telnet) on the Thomson and run the following:

:eth switch mirror capture port 3
:eth switch mirror ingress port 4 state enabled
:eth switch mirror egress port 4 state enabled

To disable it again afterwards just run the same commands with "state=disabled" after each:

:eth switch mirror capture port 3 state disabled
:eth switch mirror ingress port 4 state disabled
:eth switch mirror egress port 4 state disabled

Though I believe you may have been offered an alternative option on the ticket, please let us know which you'd prefer.