cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New order confusion and frustration

brandj

New order confusion and frustration

Hi all,
Was hoping somebody might be able to help me out with my situation. I placed a new order for broadband and home phone on the 12/01/2011. I have recently moved to a new property which has a bt phone socket (T logo one) and was originally told this was inactive by Plusnet before placing my order and would they would be able to activate it remotely.
So, I placed my order and shortly after I received this message on the member centre under the home phone section:
"Our records indicate that your telephone number may already be in use for Home Phone. This is a possible inconsistency with our records. If you wish to add Home Phone to your service please raise a question to our support centre and we will be happy to progress this for you."
I contacted Plusnet to ask what this was about. I also checked the line and dialled 017070 - I have a dial tone and found out the phone number (cannot ring in/out) and provided plusnet with this info.
I was told I had a "ceased line" and would need an engineer's visit. Fair enough... I was told on the 13/01/2011 that this would take place on the 15th (quick I thought) - so after waiting for 5 hours on the Saturday the 15th I checked my emails from my phone to see it was actually the 15th of February!!! I wasn't told which month the visit would take place!
I would like to know if an engineer's visit is actually needed? If I am receiving a dial tone then can the line be "ceased"? Plusnet have been helpful but I really don't want to wait that long unless really necessary as I am only going to be in this property for a short period of time.
I hope someone can clarify the situation,
Thanks, James.
9 REPLIES 9
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: New order confusion and frustration

Hi brandj,
I'll take a look into this now for you and see if I'm able to shed any more light on the subject.
Thanks.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
brandj

Many thanks Adam, it is appreciated!
Also - do you need any of my account info/reference numbers for this?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

brandj,
After looking into this I can see that when you signed up BT's records identified a possibility of us performing something called a 'start of a stopped line order'  this basically refers to activating the line remotely without the need for an engineer visit. Unfortunately the records were inaccurate and a new line actually needs to be install and that necessitates an engineer visit. The delay on the visit is because our suppliers have a backlog of orders to work through which in some cases is leading to some orders with even longer lead times.
Usually new installs come at a cost but we are able to waive that given the circumstances, I'm just sorry that there's nothing we can do re the lead time but I hope this explains things in more detail.
Do let me know if you have any further questions or concerns you want to raise about this.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
brandj

Hi Adam,
Thanks for your swift reply.
I am curious as to why a new line needs to be installed if I have an existing one with a dial tone?
Also, could you tell me anything about what the installation involves - will they use the existing cable/sockets? I am just a bit concerned as I am renting the property and have to be careful with what I am allowed to do.
I appreciate that their may be a waiting period for engineers to visit. Thanks for your advice.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Not a problem Smiley
I am curious as to why a new line needs to be installed if I have an existing one with a dial tone?

The line is recorded as ceased which is why the engineer visit is needed. I'm guessing the line is still in an unusable state at the moment?
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
brandj

Hi Adam,
I believe the line is in a usable state as I receive a dial tone and was able to phone 017070 (BT line test). If the line was ceased surely this would not be possible as it would be a dead line?
I cannot receive/make calls but I believe this is because I don't have line rental.
Thanks, James
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi brandj,
I've double checked this for you a ceased line does not necessarily mean no dial tone. The line is unhampered at the exchange but is left connected to the quiet line test equipment on 17070.
Just to clarify re usable I meant being able to make or receive calls.
Adam.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
brandj

Hi Adam,
Thanks for getting back to me on this. It is starting to make sense and the line is not usable as you described.
I shall wait for the engineer to come out then.
Cheers, James.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

OK, no problem. Just let me know if you have any other questions Smiley
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team