cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem after problem

skuffdj
Grafter

Problem after problem

Well i had to switch to the pro package, as on unlimited i was only getting one red bar on cod6.. After i switched, the first few days were heaven, 4 green bars, no lag etc.. Then about a week later, i started getting 3 bars all the time, but ive been so busy with work and christmas i havnt had time to test.. I have just ran a speed test, and im only getting 2mb with 200+ms!!! WTF!!! Last time i checked i was getting 5.5mb and only 36ms.. Whats going on plusnet?? As im seriously thinking about paying the money to come out of my contract
131 REPLIES 131
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Problem after problem

Run the BT speed test to see what it says your IP Profile is.
Then go to see what https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed says is you current line speed - it should be the same.
If it isn't ring Plusnet and ask for your current line speed to be set to match your IP Profile (they can do that immediately). Any problems post the results here and one of the Comms team will do it for you.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
skuffdj
Grafter

Bt test
Download speedachieved during the test was - 2300 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :5152 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2500 Kbps
plusnet portal is only saying 4000
Like i said i was getting 5.5mb even on unlimited, switched to pro and was getting the same.. Why has it now dropped by so much
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

It's dropped because BT has set an IP profile of 2500.
If this is due to a one-off event it should revert to somewhere at or above 4000 in a few days.
Keep your router turned on all the time for now and check all those figures every day, maybe twice a day.
skuffdj
Grafter

Hope it does, but why is my plusnet profile only 4000? (is that 4mb?)
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

4000kbps (kilobits per second) is equivalent to 4Mbps (megabits per second).
That Plusnet profile implies it was set when the sync speed was in the range 4544-5088kbps, and will probably have dropped to match BT's IP Profile of 2500kbps now. That profile implies you previously synced in the range 2848-3392kbps. Sync speed is set by the connection to your exchange, and Plusnet have no control over that.
However having a high ping implies a fault somewhere in the system, and possibly interleaving has been turned on by the DLM due to perceived line instability.
David
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

As the others have said, your profile will have dropped due to a lower sync with the exchange. If your line continues to sync higher, you'll see the profile increase again after 72 hours.
I wouldn't expect pings that high even with a low profile, can you run a wireshark capture and attach it to a ticket so we can make sure your gaming is prioritised correctly?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
skuffdj
Grafter

Im on pro, so shouldn't i get maximum priority on all my traffic?
Ping is slightly better today, but no where near what i was getting
This is a brand new house, that i have lived in for 3 months, and since i arrived ive been getting between 5.2 and 5.5mb for the whole time, so why now has it dropped? Im less than half a mile from my exchange as well..
And tbh i dont have time to do the whole wireshark thing
I also refuse to phone and pay for more help as this is the 3rd problem ive had with plusnet in around 7 months
pierre_pierre
Grafter

suit your self, if you dont want help dont complain
jelv
Seasoned Hero

2.33 is spot on the correct speed for an IP Profile of 2500 and proves that your traffic is being managed correctly (Plusnet are giving you the full speed your line is currently to by BT). You therefore don't need to do any wiresharking.
You need to identify why your router synced at a lower speed causing your IP Profile to be reduced.
Is there ever any background noise when you use the phone? If your router works with RouterStats or RouterStats Lite I'd recommend you run that to keep an eye on the noise margin.
skuffdj
Grafter

Why should i have to phone to pay for more help for the 3rd/4th time in 7 months??? Ive now had problems at 2 addresses now.. I obviously want help, but i dont want to pay again.. And i dont need to wireshark as its overall line speed, and not traffic shaping
BT test 2
Download speedachieved during the test was - 2308 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :5152 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2500 Kbps
skuffdj
Grafter

Havn't noticed any noise on the phone at all.. router stats are
Link Information

Uptime: 1 day, 2:21:59
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 5,152
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 10.5 / 22.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 20.0 / 12.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 15 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 8 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 29 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 12,620
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 92
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 68
jelv
Seasoned Hero

If you've had problems at two addresses it is distinctly possible that there's something wrong with the way you have things set up or with your equipment. There's a number of fellow users on these forums who will help you identify what's causing your problems if you just keep your cool and co-operate with working through what we ask you to do.
The BT speed test you've posted proves that everything is working exactly as it should on the Plusnet side - 2308 is a good speed for someone with an IP profile of 2500.
If you want us to help please describe your setup with regards to all the phone sockets (what's in where), where you have filters, your router. Also if you could answer my question about background noise on the line.
Edit: Just found your last post after I'd typed this.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Looking at those stats it appears that your target noise margin has been pushed up to 12, so the router is currently syncing slower than it might. BT push the noise margin up to try and stabilise the line is you either are getting disconnections or there are a significant number of errors - and your stats are showing more errors than I would like.
If you could describe your setup we'll set about trying to discover why those are happening - running routerstats if your router is one that is supported would be good.
Edit: Your attenuation suggests you should be able to sync at the full 8MB.
skuffdj
Grafter

Nothing has changed in my set up in the new house for 3 months which i was getting 5mb to 5.5mb the whole time
After i made a complaint in the old house, the problem was sorted almost by magic overnight, with no change to the set up
Phone socket  -  filter - router supplied phone cable - router
I appreciate the help, but i dont think it has anything to do with my set up, unless its a router problem