cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem after problem

skuffdj
Grafter

Re: Problem after problem

Yes, but coupling the ok ping, with the pretty terrible download speed = not great for gaming
Like the reasons i gave above... For the 2 weeks i was getting 4.5mb and 20ms ping, it was heaven.. As soon as it dropped to 59+ms and 3mb it was back to being no good for gaming.
Having my line tested, and being told it can handle 9.7+mb made me think, that for the ammount PN charge for the service, the service is not good enough
Its not a one off, i had problems at my last house too.. And what ever happened to the line shapped 5.5mb i used to get before i switched to pro? Only PN know for sure..
Thanks for all your help though Chris, i will def keep you informed with the move, and see if i get more than the max 4mb PN say i can
Edit: Well the speed seems to have gone up slightly (prob due to the router staying online for once in its life) But ping is getting worse

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi skuffdj,
As Chris says there's really not anything wrong with the figures you're showing us. 80ms is not a high ping time, and the pings on speedtest.net aren't necessarily related to any gaming performance - you'd need to ping the server directly to get some idea of what your gaming experience will be like.
Try using:
ping jolt.co.uk -n 100

This will give you a decent number of results, and jolt provide a large number of gaming servers so this should give us a good idea.
As regards speed, by far the majority of online games will run fine on a 512k connection so I don't see how that's affecting it. What kind of gaming issues are you getting? If you're dropping connection and you know it's not the server then we could look at a wireshark capture to make sure the game is classified correctly if you like?
skuffdj
Grafter

1. When i had an snr of 6.0 with 4.5mb and 20 ping, things were quality.. I was getting 4 green bars for connection, 9 outa 10 games The other 1 game would be 3 bars..
2. now its switched back to an snr of 11, im getting 2 yellow bars for connection half the time, and 3 bars the other half..
I have had enough, my new broadband should be up in 5/6 days, and tbh i cant wait..
Main troubles ive had with plusnet
1st was a faulty router in my old house
2nd was speed issues at my last house
3rd was speed issues at my new house after a good start
4th is now back to slow speed issues
Like i have said, if i was using my internet just for surfing, i would prob stick with it.. But i use it for gaming, and for me its not good enough..
skuffdj
Grafter

I know compared to some people, my speeds and ping is a lot lot better.. But call of duty seems to require a really strong connection, which i just dont seem to be getting with PN..
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: skuffdj
now its switched back to an snr of 11, im getting 2 yellow bars for connection half the time, and 3 bars the other half..

And presumably that's having an adverse affect on your in-game performance? I really would be interested to know whether or not your migration resolves things, as your problems don't sound to me like something that would be caused by our network.
The increase in SNR should have absolutely no affect on your gaming at all as it's latency-dependent and not speed dependent (not when considering your speeds anyway). The only thing I can imagine is that it's errors on your line that are causing the difficulties (and your SNR to rise). On a non-interleaved line these errors can cause problems. My line is *very* temperamental with interleaving switched off and gaming actually seems to be better for me with it switched on.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

skuffdj
Grafter

Tried both.. Actually turned interleaving off just before the SNR reset, so i had better results with it off..
And it had a bad effect on my gaming experience!! 2 yellow bars = jumpy laggy games!
And after the SNR reset, it made gaming perfect!! 4 bars, very strong connection and host 65% of the time for 2 weeks, also no matter who had host i had 4 green bars..
Now i have 2 yellow bars half the time, and the rest i get 3 bars.. 3 bars i can live with (although i dont see why i should put up with it) But 2 yellow bars is silly.. Im playing with the same people, playing off there host (which i was getting 4 bars for 2 weeks) now when they host i have 2 yellows..
My live date with my new ISP is the 3rd, and i have a good feeling that even though they say i can get 10mb+ ill get more than 6-7 which is double what i get with PN
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Sorry to hear that, if there is anything we can do please let us know.
Good luck with your new ISP.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
skuffdj
Grafter

Well i have gone live with my new ISP, and for the price of £6.99 its a lot better overall.. Currently getting 2mb more speedwise atm, but they say it will increase a lot more after the 14 day cooling off period, and should expect speeds of around 14.5mb

Ping is slightly worse, but gaming was top notch again, with a solid connection in every game.. Just looks like PN wasn't the best option for me... I will say though, that the forum staff here are top notch, and have given me the best support possible.. I will keep you updated with my journey

Better ping results from here
Mand
Grafter

Glad to hear things are better for you now.
That's an LLU connection right? They sometimes cope better with temperamental lines.
skuffdj
Grafter

Hi, yes is an LLU connection.. Overall though, i am much happier now.. For some reason im not getting the speeds that i should (they are looking into it) But still getting 3mb more than i was with PN..

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

What's your line synchronising at? With LLU providers, your actual throughout tends to be closer to your sync rate when compared to BT Wholesale circuits. This is because they're not subject to the same IP Profile/bRAS rate limiting.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

skuffdj
Grafter

Here are the stats from the new d-link router

Downstream Rate (Kbps): 8306 kbps Upstream 1016 kbps

SNR Margin (dB): down 1.5 up 6.5
Attenuation (dB): down 24.0 up 10.8
Output Power (dBm): down 0.0 up 12.3