cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Price increases Plusnet are lying to us

paul55

Price increases Plusnet are lying to us

I moved lines from BT to Plusnet via crummy Virgin because of their high prices and poor service.
BT took over Plusnet in 2006.  Now the spotlight is off them it would seem BT are making Plusnet charge more for their lines as a way of clawing back money.
According to Plusnet help desk they have to pay more to their wholesalers. BT in otherwords. This is a Lie
Plusnet Pay BT wholesale regulated prices for the line rental and BT wholesale charge the same price to everyone. BT retail, Sky, Plusnet, virgin,etc
The prices per annum are:    2014    £93.32 or £7.78 per month
                                                    2015    £91.05 or £7.58 per month
these prices are available on the Offcom website  http://media.ofcom.org.uk/analysts/regulated-prices/
In otherwords inflation -3% so with the 6.5% rise to us and the -3% they are paying to BT wholesale they are actually receiving 9.5% more! This is on top of the extra 6.5% they charged us last year.
I actually believe that this is anti-competetive behaviour and against the spirit of why these things were privatised by Thatcher in the first place.
This second year of above inflation rise of 6.5% and no visible increase in sevice levels or speeds (mine has actually fallen) stinks!
I suggest all those that are unhappy email their MP asking them wether they think BT taking over smaller competitors and making them less efficient on price or service is a good thing for competition?
This is despite Plusnet's CE saying that the takeover would allow Plusnet to benefit from economies of scale.  Ha!
Plusnet you were great in the begining but BT has taken your shine.
10 REPLIES 10
blahblah
Grafter

Re: Price increases Plusnet are lying to us

Thanks for this, looking forward to PN's reply.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'm sorry he was incorrect on the chat, I've fed this back as this is not what we should be advising.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

It's not all bad news, at least one person in PN will be getting a good bonus this year for implementing these changes.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
backtofront

I've never used this Forum before, although I have been with PlusNet for about 10 years.  I don't have any complaints in the actual service, and recommend to other people.  HOWEVER, since signing up for the Phone service about 4 years ago I have seen yearly increases, and these have been way above the level of inflation.  It's basically a 'cash cow' for PlusNet (err BT) and has no basis in financial costings and expenses on their behalf.  I shall pay this increase, but if the same thing happens next year then I shall be OFF to another supplier.  It's a shame, but PlusNet are no longer an independent supplier.  My other wish is that they get rid of their stupid TV advertising which looks like its an advert for some weird northern milk.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi backtofront,
A warm welcome to the forums.
I think that sometimes we do not look at the sum of the parts.  Yes "phone" line costs are going up, but broadband costs have remained fairly static, if not come down for what we get.
If this price change leads to a substantial loss of phone line revenue to PN, I expect that we will see marked increases in BB charges.  May be that will be a start of clearer, fairer pricing policies?  It is evident that the charge for "voice" is subsidising the selling price of broadband.  One only has to look at the recent bb promotions around here - 12 month contracts with £100 cash back which is more than the BB revenue for the duration of the contract.  The only revenue from those subscribers coming from the phone line service.
A proper price for broadband access and usage is the only route to abating the increase year on year price increase for the phone (service access) line.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

picbits
Rising Star

For the first time since I joined PN, I've been seriously looking around at other providers ........
h_milsom
Grafter

DomS - if you find a good ISP do tell! ATM I'm looking at BT ...
Hugh
picbits
Rising Star

Unfortunately BT don't offer a static IP unless you go on a business package.
I've not been impressed in the slightest in the past by BT's customer service either.
I may consider AAISP or one of the smaller ISP's but with a teenager in the house who sucks bandwidth at the moment, I'd either have to kick him out or find a package with a decent unlimited download.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I've just started a new thread to discuss the pros and cons of other ISPs
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,141146.0.html
I sense I have similar thougthts as DomS...
chrcoluk
Grafter

for the interested sky did credit me £60 to basically buy out my 6 months plusnet LRS unused.
I was offered on 40/10, £180 prepaid tesco card, waived setup fee and half price 12 months.
But they expensive for 80/20 no offers on that at all.