Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potental new customer - phones not answered

pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Potental new customer - phones not answered

If the engineer won't connect it up, it's easy to do after he/she has left.  Make sure there's power available on a mains extension lead when they arrive so the modem can be tested at the master socket and then connect the cable you've run in to terminal B on the interstitial plate.
Pictures here:
http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/faceplate/
Grafter

Quote from: pwatson
Ah, that clarification possibly changes things!  If the cable you've run in just feeds the router and does not have a phone connected then you'll probably be OK.  The BT engineer may need tea and biscuits to encourage him to connect it up as a data extension Smiley

It does have a phone connected. There is no phone connected (or any other hardware) to the master socket because of its inconvenient location.
pwatson
Rising Star

OK - You'll need a bit more re-jigging when BT leave then.  Either
a) Connect your cable to point B and plug the modem in via a microfilter (as you do for ADSL
b) Rewire and use one pair of the cable you've put for the phone connection and another pair for the unfiltered VDSL.  You'll need to terminate this in two boxes (BT socket for the phone, RJ11 for the modem)
Option b is more sanitary but option a will at least get you up and running
Grafter

I'm afraid all this is getting too technical for me. What started out as something apparently quite straightforward is far from it, and I certainly don't want to start bodging around with my phone line. I'm still keen to get some definitive "official" answers, so if anyone from PN wants to get in touch, please do so. Many thanks to all those who contributed suggestions etc.
Cruise85
Grafter

Hi
In regards to the engineer, he/she should connect up the modem and router for you in a place that is most suitable for yourself.
The modem does need to be located in the master socket, however we do request that a data extension kit is provided to allow this to happen.
Regards
Matt
Grafter

Thanks Matt. Running such a cable internally is not possible. Can they use external grade around the outside walls (exactly as I have done with the extension already in place)?
And I'm still unclear about the conflicting information from PN regarding typical download speeds.
From earlier in this thread:

Just had an interesting conversation with sales. The new modem does not need to be plugged into the master socket- any socket will do, which helps me. Slightly more puzzling was the answer to the typical download speed which I would see using the 40MBPS service. I was told that because of the code of conduct, figures needed to be realistic, so I would see within 1MBPS of the quoted speed, i.e. 39MBPS.
dick:quote
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

I would say that your chances of getting BT Openreach "engineer" to run the data extension cable (cat 5 type not telephone extension cable)externally, are between zero and none!! as it would require a drill to allow the cable to be passed thru external walls then the ends would have to be remade to connect master socket to modem at the new location.
As has been commented on already, the contractors employed frequently deny the existence of any such kit and will only fit the modem by the existing master socket. I have just seen such a set up left after a friend foolishly allowed the BT contractor to depart having set up the modem on the end of a long power extension cable in his hall !! Can't even close his lounge door now! Roll_eyes
Grafter

That was my concern. Running inside would, if unchecked, end up as big a mess as your friends install - there is no power supply anywhere near the master socket, and I'm certainly not have a maoins cable trailing across a hallway and a cat 5 cable running up a staircase and across a landing!
Assuming I can get cat 5 in external form and run it myself, but leave  connection to the master socket and modem to the "expert", is it likely I will still be up against a jobsworth mentality?
At the risk of repetition, any chance I could have a comment from PN about the wildly contradictory information on typical speeds please?
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi,
Quote from: davidj60
I would say that your chances of getting BT Openreach "engineer" to run the data extension cable (cat 5 type not telephone extension cable)externally, are between zero and none!!

Unfortunately, this is the closest answer to what I'd have said regarding an external feed.
Regarding the typical speeds, I'm not sure why the sales agent said that. If you managed to catch his/her name, could you please pop me a PM? Unless you have a line fault or anything along those line, you should receive up to 40mb.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

I think the OP may have been referring to the person in sales who apparently said the speed would be within 1Mbps of the quoted 40Mbps. This is complete rubbish as the speed depends on the line length to the cab and even with a full 40Mb sync the BT (and PlusNet ) profiles reduce actual download speeds to around 36/37 Mbps at best.
Grafter

Quote from: MattyC
Hi, regarding the typical speeds, I'm not sure why the sales agent said that. If you managed to catch his/her name, could you please pop me a PM? Unless you have a line fault or anything along those line, you should receive up to 40mb.
Matty

Hi Matty, I'm more confused than ever. Earlier in this thread you said:  " If you choose to take out the 40mbps package, your upload speeds will be limited to 10mb you should be able to get 20mbps based on your line. However, I am presuming you live at the same address as you did a few years ago."
To clarify, I am at the same address as previously, and I think I've been careful to ask what typical speeds I can expect. Clearly there's a big difference between the estimated 20 and the estimated 40 for the same price. Any chance that you could explain please?
As far as cabling is concerned, I gather that you can buy external grade Cat5, so I will consider running that myself, with just the connections at each end to be made by the engineer. Will this work?
pwatson
Rising Star

You've consistently asked about upload speed (which will be up to 20Mb) whereas it seems you thought you were asking about download speed? The service is 40 down and 20 up
Hope this clears things up?
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Sorry for the confusion. I should probably have clarified better.
The service should be 40mb down, 20mb up.
Quote from: 430
As far as cabling is concerned, I gather that you can buy external grade Cat5, so I will consider running that myself, with just the connections at each end to be made by the engineer. Will this work?

Yes. This will be fine.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Grafter

Thanks Matty and all - at least I have a way forward now, although the MAC will have expired by the time I get the wiring sorted. Apologies for the up and down nonsense - I am a tech numpty, and frankly, couldn't care what the lower speed is.