cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potental new customer - phones not answered

Grafter

Potental new customer - phones not answered

I've decided to change my ISP from Sky, and have my MAC code. As a previous customer of PlusNet from 2005-2010, I thought I'd check them out again. Having looked at the packages for broadband and phone, there is one which seems to fit my needs, but I have several questions before I commit, so tried phoning. Gave up after 10 minutes hold yesterday evening, and gave up after a further 10 minutes holding this morning. Now much as I like the Human League and Robert Palmer, I do have better things to do with my time, so I'm now slightly concerned that if the opportunity to get a new customer on board is not seized, what are things like for existing customers needing support?
Anyway, the questions I had were:
There is no fibre laid to my house, yet it seems I can get a fibre service. How come?
I use my own 6 month old Netgear D6200 router. Will this be compatible?
What is the typical real upload speed I am likely to see with the 40MBPS service?
It appears that for fibre, an engineer is required. Will they need access to the property?
Given that I have been a customer in the past, do I still need to create a new account?
28 REPLIES 28
All4One
Grafter

Re: Potental new customer - phones not answered

There is no fibre laid to my house, yet it seems I can get a fibre service. How come?
If it's offered on your phone line (http://dslchecker.bt.com/) it only utilises fibre to the cabinet (green box) the rest to your property is your copper phone line as normal.
I use my own 6 month old Netgear D6200 router. Will this be compatible?
Probably as a router, but you would still need to use the Openreach Modem.
What is the typical real upload speed I am likely to see with the 40MBPS service?
Up to 20Mbps (check DSL checker link above for estimates on your line)
It appears that for fibre, an engineer is required. Will they need access to the property?
Yes
Given that I have been a customer in the past, do I still need to create a new account?
I would imagine you would but you could check with Sales.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Answering your questions:
1.  FTTC isn't fibre to the home - The VDSL signal is delivered over your standard phoneline.
2.  The Netgear D6200 appears to have an ethernet WAN port as well as a DSL port so should be compatible.  The BT modem supplied for VDSL plus into the ethernet WAN port.
3.  How long's your piece of string?  Generally speaking the download speed suffers with cable length before upload.
4.  Properrty access is required as BT may need to change your master socket faceplate and they bring (and install) the FTTC modem.
5.  One for PN
HTH
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi 430,
Welcome back to the forums Smiley sorry that you've had to queue for our sales department. There's no queue at the moment.
All4One got the answers 1, 3, and 4 pretty spot on.
If you choose to take out the 40mbps package, your upload speeds will be limited to 10mb you should be able to get 20mbps based on your line. However, I am presuming you live at the same address as you did a few years ago.
I would recommend setting up a new account so that you can get the fresh new customer discounts. Feel free to have a word with Sales on 0800 432 0080
Hope this helps.
Matty
EDIT: Thanks pwatson  Roll_eyes
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
pwatson
Rising Star

Quote from: MattyC
If you choose to take out the 40mbps package, your upload speeds will be limited to 10mb which you are more than capable of if you live at the same address as you did a few years ago.

Really?  I thought the product was now 40/20?  Wink
Grafter

Thanks all. Had a look a the BT link, but way too many acronyms for my understanding.
If it really would be a typical 20mbps, that I can live with. What does concern me though is having to use an additional box. Does this modem need to plug into the master socket, because if so, that's a problem as there is no convenient power supply. The router I have is on another floor in the house, so could it plug in at that location?
All4One
Grafter

It would rarely be 20Mbps as that's probably impossibly, above 19Mbps probably achievable.
Modem into master socket then ethernet to router. Or purchase your own all in one unit.
Could do modem at master socket then power line adapters to connect router upstairs, possibly.
Edit: I have my modem downstairs at master and long ethernet cable up to office where router is.
Grafter

Thanks All4one - it's looking less likely that this migration is feasible for me, and I still don't get the additional box thing. I'll call sales and see if there is a way round it.
Grafter

Just had an interesting conversation with sales. The new modem does not need to be plugged into the master socket- any socket will do, which helps me. Slightly more puzzling was the answer to the typical download speed which I would see using the 40MBPS service. I was told that because of the code of conduct, figures needed to be realistic, so I would see within 1MBPS of the quoted speed, i.e. 39MBPS.
Anyone from PN like to comment please?
All4One
Grafter

Essentially, the 2 boxes for PN's FTTC is...
1. Openreach's Modem - Let's say this computes the line information.
2. PN's (or your own wireless router) - Routing the modem's information wirelessly/ethernet
The other option is using your own modem/router which will sort the connection and route it.
I've not heard of having fibre in another socket as it's installed to the master (which the engineer upgrades the faceplate)
Unsure on the speed comment, if it's up to 40Mbps, your modem might sync close to this, but you're passing it through multiple devices and hardware and it's going to slightly decrease. I'd expect above 35Mbps.
Grafter

My Netgear is described as a modem router, hence my confusion about needing an additional modem box. That aside though, if I need to have something plugged into the master socket to get a fibre connection, that's a non-starter. as there is no mains plug anywhere near, and I'm not about to start trailing cables across an entrance hallway for safety and aesthetic reasons.
pwatson
Rising Star

Quote from: 430
Just had an interesting conversation with sales. The new modem does not need to be plugged into the master socket- any socket will do,

Unfortunately this isn't the case so Sales need to be re-educated.
The modem can only plug into the master socket, either directly or via a 'data extension kit' (if this is specified at the time or order)  The latter is simply a Cat5 cable connected to the master socket and then run to a point that is more convenient.  Depending on the layout of your house this may or may not be an option... 
The filtered faceplate installed at the master socket means that the broadband signal terminates there and does not carry on to any extension sockets.
It is technically possible to make use of spare ways in cables between the existing master socket and an extension to effectively swap them over (so called 'back wiring') but I believe this is officially frowned on.
Quote from: 430
My Netgear is described as a modem router,

The Netgear unit is an ADSL modem/router but you need equipment compatible with VDSL.  The Openreach modem is supplied as part of the install and will work with your Netgear router.  VDSL modem/routers are now becoming available but they still need both power and access to the master socket.
Grafter

As I'm sure you can tell, whilst I can (just) set up a router, the rest of the tech stuff is beyond me. I recently renewed the extension cable from the master socket around the external walls of the house to the room in which the router is (proper external cable, but I guess may not have been cat 5 - not sure how to tell).
Due to my confusion, just had a chat with BT as well about these points, and after much discussion and referral, it appears that I could indeed plug their router (if I actually need to use it, which may or may not be the case according to them) into this extension, rather than the master socket.
More confused than ever now.
pwatson
Rising Star

Ah, that clarification possibly changes things!  If the cable you've run in just feeds the router and does not have a phone connected then you'll probably be OK.  The BT engineer may need tea and biscuits to encourage him to connect it up as a data extension Smiley
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

The BT engineer may need tea and biscuits to encourage him to connect it up as a data extension
Which is fine if you get a 'real' BT engineer, the contractors don't so susceptible to the delights of tea & bickies by all accounts. Smiley Some even seem reluctant to acknowledge the existence of data extensions Roll_eyes

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.