Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor customer service from Plusnet and deadlock between SKY and Plusnet

gphancock
Grafter

Re: Poor customer service from Plusnet and deadlock between SKY and Plusnet

Quote from: HPsauce
Sadly, it does sound like you've been dropped "in a hole" by whoever (BT combined with PlusNet apparently) and the only practical way out is to totally exit and start again.
That unfortunately (due largely to OFCOM rules?), WILL mean being without a service, but surely the "guilty parties" can pay for you to have a 3G dongle or similar (if that helps) while they sort out the mess they have created?
And hopefully they can expedite the new service to keep this to a minimum.  Lips_are_sealed

Sadly it does seem that way and there is no way to avoid a cession of broadband service.
I hadn't thought of that. That would be most helpful if they could arrange a temporary service. Unfortunately, we have barely got past the claim and counter arguments and the reality of the situation for the consumer (me) hasn't been considered. I was thinking I would have to make daily 5 mile trips to the library to check e-mail.
If this is the option, I hope Plusnet will expedite the service, as they stated but with no promises with regard to the length of downtime.
I forgot to add in my update that Plusnet once again offered the option of a new telephone number. We have had this number at this property for 35+ years and broadband downtime would be preferable to that change.
gtowen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Take a chance on this quote not been deleted by mods........ it's only a partial Tongue
Thank you for you kind words and I too hope that something can be resolved without too many toys thrown out of prams. (That include me btw!) Wink I

At the moment I would be rather surprised you have any toys left to throw, but no one would blame you Smiley
My best wishes for a quick resolution Smiley
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I'm not in the office at the moment, however;
Your broadband order will be expedited and I'll do everything I possibly can to get the same phone number for you.
I'm not in the office until Monday now, but if your connection goes down, if you could PM me via a mobile connection or something similar, I should be able to pick up out of hours for you without an issue.
To reiterate, I'm really sorry for how things have turned out, I completely appreciate that failings have hit you hard as a customer and it's not right - I agree with that. My offer stands though, if you need anything, please do PM me at your earliest convenience.
Aside from the above, this is exactly what the community is for, when things like this do happen, not only is it a learning curve for us, but it gives the community an insight and allows everyone to have their say, which is really important.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Just as an FYI as to why we haven't "sorted this", the tool we use for placing orders will not let us submit the order without a valid MAC code due to the tag, and because the systems think the tag is Sky, it's a 'computer says no' moment.  It's a really rubbish situation.  Sad
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
gphancock
Grafter

Quote from: gtowen
Take a chance on this quote not been deleted by mods........ it's only a partial Tongue
Thank you for you kind words and I too hope that something can be resolved without too many toys thrown out of prams. (That include me btw!) Wink I

At the moment I would be rather surprised you have any toys left to throw, but no one would blame you Smiley
My best wishes for a quick resolution Smiley

LOL
Oh I have a few toys to throw out still.  :)Thankfully for the community, I am unlikely to have broadband when this happens!
Thank you again for your good wishes.
gtowen
Rising Star

@ Kelly 
the tool we use for placing orders will not let us submit the order

The "tool" is the right word but I'm sure stronger words come to mind..........
But in all truth, the problem here is 3 supposedly professional companies refusing to sit down and talk.....
1) A customer decides to leave company A .............. no dispute on that fact, he applies for and receives a MAC code and gives it to company B
2) Company B fumbles the ball and the MAC is in limbo
3) Company B can't proceed cos  Company C says the line is still with company A, who denies it
Without dispute the customer wants to leave company a for company b, so can we climb out of the playground, stop the "if you're not in my gang I won't let you join another gang" attitude and just solve the problem ?
gphancock
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
I'm not in the office at the moment, however;
Your broadband order will be expedited and I'll do everything I possibly can to get the same phone number for you.
I'm not in the office until Monday now, but if your connection goes down, if you could PM me via a mobile connection or something similar, I should be able to pick up out of hours for you without an issue.
To reiterate, I'm really sorry for how things have turned out, I completely appreciate that failings have hit you hard as a customer and it's not right - I agree with that. My offer stands though, if you need anything, please do PM me at your earliest convenience.
Aside from the above, this is exactly what the community is for, when things like this do happen, not only is it a learning curve for us, but it gives the community an insight and allows everyone to have their say, which is really important.

Thank you for the clarification on the expedition issue. I hope this can be actioned.
I am afraid to say that the same telephone number change is non-negotiable. I do not want you proceed with any order if this is part of the conditions. I discussed this at length with Ian this evening on the telephone.  I think under the circumstances retaining my telephone number is the least I can expect from Plusnet, BT wholesale and SKY. We have had the same telephone number for 35+ years and we are not willing to change that telephone number. For the record,  BT is the landline/line rental provider and not SKY.
To reiterate what Ofcom informed me, number changing would be a commercial decision by Plusnet. Technically, it should not be necessary to change my telephone number.
I will post a message via PM this evening and thank you in advance for your assistance. I know you are personally trying your best within a difficult remit.
Plusnet are very brave or slightly insane for having such a community, that is all I am saying  Wink More seriously, I have learnt a lot about the telecommunications industry in recent days and reading this forum.  
gphancock
Grafter

Quote from: Kelly
Just as an FYI as to why we haven't "sorted this", the tool we use for placing orders will not let us submit the order without a valid MAC code due to the tag, and because the systems think the tag is Sky, it's a 'computer says no' moment.   It's a really rubbish situation.  Sad

I appreciate the explanation. Isn't there are manual way of overriding the system? Have you encountered other similar cases? I meant to add is this a Plusnet tool or a BT wholesale tool? SKY and Ofcom seem to think you can avoid the MAC code situation.
gphancock
Grafter

Quote from: gtowen
@ Kelly 
the tool we use for placing orders will not let us submit the order

The "tool" is the right word but I'm sure stronger words come to mind..........
But in all truth, the problem here is 3 supposedly professional companies refusing to sit down and talk.....
1) A customer decides to leave company A .............. no dispute on that fact, he applies for and receives a MAC code and gives it to company B
2) Company B fumbles the ball and the MAC is in limbo
3) Company B can't proceed cos  Company C says the line is still with company A, who denies it
Without dispute the customer wants to leave company a for company b, so can we climb out of the playground, stop the "if you're not in my gang I won't let you join another gang" attitude and just solve the problem ?

Your comments and assessment of the situation makes me smile. In a good way btw Smiley
This does indeed sum it up. As mentioned by gtowen, why is there no informal mechanism to resolve the situation between the various parties or override the system? Or is it the case that SKY don't really want to resolve the situation and can hide under the shadow of the Ofcom Code of Practice?
From my understanding, BT wholesale provide both SKY and Plusnet with some sort of service. Surely with these rights BT wholesale can override the system or is that too simplistic and codes of practice take precedence? 
jim:green quote fixed to differentiate the quote from the posted text mod:end
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

I've not heard of it before 😕   I'm not particularly close to provisioning though!
I suspect actually Sky aren't entirely innocent here.  If there is still a Sky tag on the line in Wholesale's systems, they should be able to generate a mac code which we can process.  Feels like their system also schedules a cancellation, which prevents a new Mac code being generated.    I've absolutely no evidence of this, I'm just rolling it around in my head, because frankly, it's a ridiculous situation.
I don't understand why OFCOM are telling you that it is our job to sort though.  If we were able to, what would be to stop Sky phoning up and "sorting out" Jelv's connection and slamming him.....
The whole process is planned to change to be "gaining provider led" as part of their new recommendations over the next few years.  Right now though, you need a valid mac code from the losing provider Sad
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You could have added that if Plusnet attempted to contact Sky direct they would refuse to talk to them, probably (quite rightly) citing DPA.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
HPsauce
Pro

No, not rightly at all. DPA has perfectly sensible provisions to allow data access in performance of a contract and related activities.
Won't stop them quoting it as an excuse though.  Angry
gtowen
Rising Star

@Kelly my apologies for directing @ you, wasn't meant personally
But at the moment, keeping with my simple analogy, it seems we have 3 alpha males in the playground playing a game of "he said/she said but maybe they said" and nothing is being done Sad
In the end the customer has asked to leave Sky, there is no dispute in that.......
I can understand the idea of the MAC code to protect against customers getting moved when they haven't requested such but that is not the case here......... so......
1) BT should be able to just cease the line so that Plusnet can take over............ ample proof the customer desires this
2) Sky should suck it up and help by supplying whatever is needed for this to happen
3) The customer should not be so stressed as it seems to be clearly not his fault

a simple view point Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: HPsauce
No, not rightly at all. DPA has perfectly sensible provisions to allow data access in performance of a contract and related activities.
Won't stop them quoting it as an excuse though.  Angry

You're wrong. Sky MUST refuse to talk to Plusnet about the account the user holds with them. Likewise Plusnet would be totally wrong to divulge anything to do with his account to Sky.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

@gphancock - Thank you for your PM.