cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet, you really are poor

dustymil59
Grafter

Plusnet, you really are poor

I've now had enough, bar a period of about 2 weeks, since I joined in early february you have not managed to give me anywhere near the service I pay for and it's getting worse.
On Monday morning I will get my MAC code and soon be rid of Plusnet and their incredibly frustrating "my questions" system, in which you go around and around and around and around, over and over again. The only way anything ever gets done is if one of their staff on these forums take up your issue. To me, this is not the correct way in which support should work, however, I thank them for their efforts on my issues.
It is also interesting the the old "rants and raves" forum has disappeared, presumably over run with rants that are never sorted out.
My plusnet broadband connection has frustrated me for the last time and I cannot take anymore of it. So it's goodbye plusnet world, I wanted this to be such a pleasant experience, but I leave with heavy  :'(.
Good luck to you all, I hope your experience is better than my own.
14 REPLIES 14
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Plusnet, you really are poor

just had a read through you 20 posting and not once have you said what you problem is, you never know, it might transfer with you to another supplier
dustymil59
Grafter

Hi Pierre pierre,
To be honest,usual I only post when I want Mand or another of PN staff to take ownership of my issue, I find the whole "my questions" thing a waste of time. Mand, to her credit, has in the past got my service working, but only for a short while, then I'm back to my usual intermittent service and billing problems.
This time, I don't want their help and just want to leave.
I'm far from being an expert, all I can say is that, when I was with TalkTalk, with exactly the same router and set up, I never had the problem and got download speeds of 8 Mbps regularly. I've not had a stable connection since switching to PN, that's after having no BB or phone for 2 weeks when first joining them, another of their "provisions" problems.
I have had, plenty of "free" credits put on my account, not solicited by me, when all I really wanted was a stable fast service, no more than I pay for.
I think it fair to warn anyone considering joining PN of the potential hazards.
From the tone of your reply, you seem offended in some way, can I ask why, and also what your relationship is to PN. It is not my intention to alienate anyone here.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

no relationship at all, just that on this forum, al lot of people are helped with their problems by lay people.
With TalkTalk you were probably on LLU, which is where TT have their own equipment in the exchange  which can give you near to ADSL2 speeds.
A lot of people who have moved over from the TT  set up had their lines cut off by TT before they actually migrated, so unfortunately PN cant be blamed for that
dustymil59
Grafter

Thanks Pierre,
I agree, forums of any kind are fantastic places to share knowledge, where would we be without them. You are correct that TT have their own equipment within my local exchange and I had hoped that with PN being owned by BT that their equipment would be also advanced. Having said that, PN have confirmed that my service "Pro" is ADSL2, which makes the whole thing even more frustrating.
I'm not saying that PN are any better or worse than TT, in fact, TT are still sending me bills for a service, that even they confirm,  have not been connected to since January !!. Just reminds me of the reasons I left them.
Is it too much to ask for the service for which I am only too willing to pay for. I'm not after some cheap deal, just a reliable and consistent service.
Thanks for taking time to reply.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

without the stats cant say, but it is possible that your line has been capped by BT, I am not the forum expert on Line stats, but if possible past your here and see what others say, if you are not sure how, see here http://kitz.co.uk/routers/routerstats.htm
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and for your info, BT is a big family
PN are owned by BT retail
The lines and Exchanges are looked after by BT Openreach
PN get there broadband service by BT Wholesale
Roberto0151
Grafter

Oddly enough my experience has been the opposite of Dustymil's.

With TT/Tiscali I had a moderate but consistent  speed but with less than good reliability. Their helpline and online help were good for me and the reason I left was that I disliked TT's attitude towards Tiscali members after the takeover.
With Plusnet, I  found their service very good during the switchover period and the only gripe I have had has been with wild variations in download speed. This may have been my own fault for not realising the different behaviour of LLU and other lines, and I think/hope this might now  have been sorted by members of this forum. (Pierre, Penfold, Jelv and Whistler  - many thanks)    The connection has been rock solid since day one.

I wish Dustymil luck in your future efforts to find service that satisfies you.
dustymil59
Grafter

Pierre/Roberto
I think that both your kind concern and helpful advice underline my current attitude towards PN perfectly, whilst I appreciate the value of forums, why should it be that fellow customers or forum monitoring staff are the only ones who offer any worthwhile help or advice, surely, we pay, and PN have, a whole department set up for this very function?.
Each time I've raised the fault, I go through the same checks and procedures, which eventually get referred to BT, who carry out some checks, then it all fizzles out, the question is closed, without resolution. I then contact by telephone, the operator who  is very understanding and polite, then opens another question, stating that all the checks and queries have been carried out, yet still PN support guys require more of the same procedures from me, carry out more of same checks etc etc
Mand Beckett is the only person to date who has managed to assist me in getting my connection right. On 8h April 2010, she confirmed that  my profile was at 11Mbps and for a very short period of time my download speeds were at around 9Mbps. alas I'm back down at 3-5Mbps, with a very erratic connection once again. It just does not last long and has become very very tiresome.
My contract is with PN and not BT, in any guise. It is PN who make wild claims of up to 20Mbps, a service I pay for, not that I ever expected to get more than 14Mbps at best. So it PN who need to sort the problem and deal with BT, who through all their different divisions, are still BT and own PN.
Thanks for your concerns.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

as you said it is up to 20 M not is 20 M, but you seem to be definitely on ADSL2 as you have had more that 8M, a few people who live less than 800 Mtre  from the exchange have managed to get 20 M, but not many, still doesnt explain why you have only 3M now.
As I said in my first post, if you leave with a lousy connection, you will, unless you go to LLU, take that lousy connection with you.  The choice is yours, swallow your pride and ask for help from some of the forum  or suffer again
dustymil59
Grafter

I think that I may have misled you somehow, I've done nothing but ask for help from PN for the last 5 months and been continually frustrated with my service, their help system and the whole episode.
I'm at the "enough is enough" stage and don't want to repeat the experience in the future, even if, one of you kind souls help get my connection where it should be
Thanks anyway.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

no I fully understood, just warning you about taking the fault elswhere
artificer
Grafter

dustymil59, i started with plus.net about five years ago on an unlimited package, until the snotty email arrived informing me that i had exceeded my allowance.  research revealed that i had been forewarned, but not read that email.  as i could appreciate the logic and still liked the package, i have remained.
i was dismayed when they sold themselves to bt and mentally prepared for the day i might have to look for another supplier.  since that time, the customer help has been 'outsourced' at a time when we have so many people yearning for work here and the number of complaints i see on the forum has multiplied noticeably.
i am moderately tech-savvy and make a point to figure out where the fault lies whenever anything goes amiss.  more often than not, it cannot be laid at plus.net's door.  a website falls over, my router hiccups, even my own os occasionally suffers a glitch.  it all runs on software and there is no such thing as bug-free software, ask any programmer.  it doesn't help that bt is in the middle and can mess things up bigtime.
plus.net staff, both on the forum and in the office, have been unfailingly polite and as helpful as they can be.  on that count alone, i am reluctant to take myself elsewhere.  courtesy is priceless in goodwill.
should a problem arise, i would explore all possibilities exhaustively before reluctantly quitting plus.net.  i understand your pain and frustration.  whatever you decide, bon chance and bon voyage.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Articifer, its not strictly true what you said about the CS department.
PN took over the John Lewis account, which had their call centre in Durban, so PN inherited it, they still have the call centre here in Sheffield which can be reached at 0114 296 5183, the 0845 number might take you to either location
artificer
Grafter

'some then', pikky