cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet - worth a second chance???

simon7685
Grafter

Plusnet - worth a second chance???

I used to be with Plusnet until 2010 when I left to go to Sky.  This was prompted by a nightmare and complete failure of Plusnet and their ability to supply my broadband.  To summarise, Plusnet disconnected my broadband after 18 months trouble free custom, they could not explain why, just that for some reason my broadband was disconnected at the exchange.  They expedited an order and I got my service back after 5 days or so.  I then suffered a number of other disconnections over the next couple of months and had engineer visits cancelled without my knowledge or me being informed and the whole service just seemed to disappear, from my point of view the customer service I got was shoddy to say the least.
My exchange became enabled for Sky and I moved everything accross and got a better deal as well.  Anyway nearly 3 years on I am considering switching from Sky, not because of bad service or connection problems but because I am moving my TV from Sky to Freesat.  I figure that with the money I save I can give fibre a go and still be in pocket.
So in the time I have been away have Plusnet improved their customer service and are they any better from a service point of view?
I like the sound of their fibre bb and phone packages and believe everyone deserves a second chance but what I don't want to happen is to get tied into a deal to then find I suffer loss of service problems or anything else.  I have read a lot of reviews online in the last couple of days and as always they are very mixed, so I thought some peoples experiences on here might be more useful in helping make my mind up.
8 REPLIES 8
markm9
Grafter

Re: Plusnet - worth a second chance???

Hi Simon, i moved across from sky, back in Jan., and i took up the phone calls, and fibre unlimited, like yourself when with sky, i had years of trouble free phone, and bband, so i made the move with some trepadation, but since the move ive had no issues at all with service i have received, PN kept me informed every step of the way by either text or e-mail, prior to installation, downtime on bband was minimal ( approx. 30mins), speed i was quoted 50mbps down, 16 up,is the speed i have always had, with no downtime, or disconnections, plus if you want to use your own router PN dont mind.
Personally i havent been dissapointed on both bband, and phone line, also if you do migrate across i believe if yourefer friends etc.., you qualify for discount off your bill, try looking at topcashback site also they usually have some kind of deal if you go through them as well Smiley
simon7685
Grafter

That is certainly a reassuring story and good to hear.  Did you need to obtain a MAC code for the move?  When I looked at BT it said I needed a new line installed at no extra cost, PN doesn't mention that at all but it isn't clear whether or not I need to get a MAC code either?  I assume the new line thing that BT mention is something to do with moving to Sky, I seem to remember something at the time that to move from Sky would require a new BT line being installed.
NedLudd
Grafter

I moved across last October for the same reasons - cancelled Sky and went FreeSat. Switchover went like a dream and no problems since.
BTOR guy was in and out in a little over an hour and left me with fibre up and running. The landline phone followed a couple of hours later.
If you do have problems then this forum is the place to visit. The Digital Care Team pick up problems here and stick with them until solved!
Geoff,
York.
markm9
Grafter

I had to obtain a MAC code for my migration, i moved from ADSL to fibre, when i asked sky for my MAC it was e-mailed to me almost immediately, as for a new line, i didnt need this, i would certainly ask a PN advisor, i asked at time of sign up and was told that a new line was not required, i also got to keep my phone number.
NedLudd
Grafter

No MAC code needed for me (ADSL to Fibre), PN salesperson took care of everything!
Geoff,
York.
simon7685
Grafter

It only seems to say I need a new line installed when enquiring about BT broadband, Plusnet are not indicating it.  When I went to Sky after our exchange was enabled, it did say something about sky taking over the phone and line and if I wanted to leave, I may need to have a new BT line installed.  I didn't really understand it at the time and don't know if I am honest.
The only thing I can think of is if the new supplier has to buy the line back off sky or something like that.  I can't imagine for one minute that they would need to put a new line in, after all this line has had tesco BB, Orange BB, Plusnet BB and then Sky BB all going through it, so it can't be anything to do with the line, must be to do with Sky wanting the new supplier to buy it back I think.
I am encouraged by some of the experiences you guys have had, though I have also read that some people still seem to be suffering these disconnections for no reason, which worries me a bit.  I rely on my bb heavily and can't afford to be without it if it goes wrong.  Being disabled it is a connection to the outside world sometimes and a means to getting shopping delivered.  so if I did lose it for a week or more like happened last time, it causes a lot of problems.
I will keep reading and hope some other people can post some more positive switching stories.
Another thing I was wondering about;
If I do move to Fibre, it will be the essentials fibre package, if I then find it is not enough, can I just upgrade to the unlimited fibre without any charges and would that then reset the contract clock back to the start of the 18 months again?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

no charge but it will reset the contract clock to 18 months and, unless you can get a special deal, will remove any discounts
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi simon7685,
It looks like you've had your initial questions answered, if there's anything else please let me know and I'll be happy to help.
Chris