cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet will give your personal details to ACS Law with not informing you!!

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Plusnet will give your personal details to ACS Law with not informing you!!

The poor customer isn't given any chance to defend themselves against the initial accusation.
I would get more justice if I was accused of speeding.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

davethir
Grafter

Whilst we wait for the Wheels of PlusNet Legal team to grind slowly, you all may be interested in the following article on Torrentfreak website from Nov 2009, regarding the NPO in question. http://torrentfreak.com/30000-internet-users-to-receive-file-sharing-cash-demands-091125/. in the article it quotes Chief Master Winegarten (the Judge who granted the NPO) (CMW) who expresses concerns about the practice and states
"that “[this is] not a moral crusade” and that in his opinion, ACS:Law and DigiProtect were doing this “…because you want the money.”
he also asked ACS Law about the practice of using NPO's to get the names and addresses of people.
"CMW asked Crossley how long the scheme would continue for, who replied “…for as long as P2P file-sharing continues Master.
What more proof do you need when the Judge who passed the Court order says it is all about the money.
Also the court order states that PlusNet can charge ACS Law for all the reasonable costs for complying with the court order. I hope PlusNet has sent a bill to ACS Law for their costs rather than using our subscriptions to pay for the work that must have been carried out to give the details to ACS LAW.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I'd like ACS Law to pay for a full test of Plusnet's systems regarding the recording of ip addresses.
Does anyone in the organisation actually have any proof that the system works?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

mrmarkus1981
Grafter

Quote from: A
I'd like ACS Law to pay for a full test of Plusnet's systems regarding the recording of ip addresses.
Does anyone in the organisation actually have any proof that the system works?

From what i have read the methods of harvesting IP addresses has been quashed by courts already in a few countries.
Britains public gets shafted.....again  Lips_are_sealed

EDIT : Actually if 1 case did go to court in this country, the methods would be found out and ACS:Law could not exist, therefor its not in their best interests to take anyone to court and jsut keep intimidating people into paying up guilty or not!
MakeTeaNotWar
Grafter

Im shocked our courts didn't see the bullying and scamming coming and actually effectively paved the way for the prosecution of over 30,000 British subjects.  Roll_eyes
They should have at least said you either procecute or you don't contact them, evidence is either enough to prosecuted or it isn't... clearly in this case it isn't.
To Plusnet i'd say when you start handing out peoples details, and after 6 months you know nobodies been prosecuted and you start to realise you've been party to a scam that's abused the system you have to take a bit of ownership here and start talking to your customers, perhaps offering some reassurance that in future you'll be a bit more responsible with what you hand out and who you hand it out too.
scootie
Grafter

have acs not been reported to the likes off watchdog ect ? maybe if we flood there reporting contact address, one from each member of this thread might get watchdog to see its a upcoming consumer issue.
davethir
Grafter

2 JULY 2010. 2 days since the deadline
Yes ACS Law have been reported to WatchDog, The BBC One Show, The Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA), It has been condemmed in the house of Lords for its practice of "Legal Blackmail"
>
. There are a couple of really active forums regarding this issue Slyck.com http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=44092&sid=b4c2e4a2ff2366bd971055f235b7f6ae&start=89...
and the Consumer Forums http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/acs-law/198192-acs-law-149.html
All Condem the practice. ACS Law is currently under investgation by the SRA, and the results of this should be known soon.
PlusNet, this is your chance to protect your Paying Customers (After all what sort of business would you have without them) from this BLACKMAIL and Extortion. If you publish the fact that ACS Law sent you a report saying
"thanks for the thousands of CUSTOMERS PERSONAL DETAILS, we sent xx thousand letters DEMANDING PAYMENT and have currently taken NONE TO COURT. we would appreciate it if you would keep quiet about this fact so we can SEND MORE LETTERS to your PAYING CUSTOMERS"
yours failfully ACS LAW

If you publish on this forum then Other people from these other Forums will see that PLUSNET CARES ABOUT ITS CUSTOMERS. this may even give you more paying subscribers and may encourage other ISPs from "Rolling over and not Contesting the Court Order"
avatastic
Grafter

If I whack a tenner via paypal can I make this an FOI request?
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
davethir
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
Hi all,
We're still keeping tabs on this thread and are aware that the 30th June is tomorrow. If I'm honest I'm not sure how much, if any, information we will be able to share with you on top of the discussions we've already had on this but we'll keep asking.
Thanks

PLUSNET,
I will not accept this as an answer, I have contacted my MP and told him that my ISP is in receipt of information which could put an end to all this Heartache and stress and they say they are not going to publish it. I have asked him to demand you publish, I have also told him that the information is also available to BT, BE Unlimited, and O2. so hopefully he will contact them as well.
WE, YOUR PAYING SUBSRIBERS WILL NOT LET THIS DROP !!
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi,
I haven't stated that we definitely won't share this information as far as I'm aware. We're still chasing this up and will let you know what we can when we can.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
MakeTeaNotWar
Grafter

Quote from: avatastic
If I whack a tenner via paypal can I make this an FOI request?

Technically I would imagine you could... What ACS law have to feed back isn't strictly private and the public do have a legit reason for knowing what was said.
It gives you the right to ask any public body for all the information they have on any subject you choose.  And unless there’s a good reason, they have to give it you within a month. You can also ask for all the personal information they hold on you.
If you're in the public sector you'll be under scrutiny as never before.
If you're in the private sector your public contracts, and much else, are open to all. You can also unearth valuable intelligence on your competitors and clients.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

We discussed this briefly back on page 2. The FOI would have to be directed to the courts as that is the only public body involved.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Tidgy
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
Hi,
I haven't stated that we definitely won't share this information as far as I'm aware. We're still chasing this up and will let you know what we can when we can.

Please clarify. Are you chasing for the results from ACS Law still or are you chasing the PN legal department?
davethir
Grafter

D Day + 6,
Plusnet, Please provide the answers, as It is about to come to a head, as the "One Show" wants to bring the matter of ACS Law sending letters to members of the public to the TV. If you can show that not one person has been taken to court who provided any defence, then this could be used by the One Show to show that ACS Law is just about the money. You owe it to the paying public to show that ACS Law are just using NPO's to create a "Speculative Invoicing Scheme", to extort money from the public.
If on the other hand i am wrong and they have taken many people to court then I will stop this thread and leave it at that.
I am sure most of the 4400 people who have viewed this thread will agree, and would want this "LEGAL BLACKMAIL" to come to an end. remember by not publishing the information you are "Aiding and abetting" this scheme, which is in everyones interest to stop.
Toolbox
Grafter

Keep up the good work Dave.
I would also like to know what Plusnet has to say regarding ACS filling their part of the court order.
I would like to know the figures but we may not get that but I would at least like to know the court order has been filled in full from both sides and not just Plusnets.
Is it possible to ask the Judge if this has been provided?
I wonder if the One show would invite Plusnet to the show?