Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet website is offline - Sunday 29 May 2022

Anonymous
Not applicable

Plusnet website is offline - Sunday 29 May 2022

Browsing to www.plus.net is currently showing this -

Screenshot 2022-05-29 at 13-57-08 Sorry - we're having a few technical issues Plusnet.png

13 REPLIES 13
djcjuk
Rising Star
Fixes: 5

Re: Plusnet website is offline - Sunday 29 May 2022

I have just checked it at 3-45pm it appears to be working OK. I used an android tablet to check it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The problem I reported in the original post did disappear yesterday evening.

However I thought I would check again to see whether it was resolved, but now something slightly different is happening.  Previously browsing to plus.net went straight to the image shown in my original post, no page reloads, just that screen as shown.

Now if I browse to plus.net  I get a fast flickering of what looks like three pages loading in fast succession, only to end up on the "we've hit a problem" page.

As far as I can tell, first this momentarily displays -

Screenshot 2022-05-30 at 11-51-43 Plusnet Multi-award winning UK broadband provider page 1.png

then immediately vanishes and is replaced by this -

Screenshot 2022-05-30 at 11-52-14 Plusnet Multi-award winning UK broadband provider page 2.png

which instantly disappears and finally settles on -

Screenshot 2022-05-30 at 11-52-54 Sorry - we're having a few technical issues Plusnet page 3.png

I've got this on three different PCs running different recent versions of Firefox, so it's not a local cache or cookie issue.

I'm not going to waste my time trying different browsers, because if this is happening to me on Firefox then chances are other customers visiting the Plusnet website are seeing the same thing.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

I'm seeing a stable image (number 2 in your sequence).

When I tried yesterday 37 minutes after your OP all was well too.

Edit:  Using Chrome, but not logged in to the PN site if that's relevant.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

I get the flickering - too fast to read, and then end up with picture 1 in @Anonymous 's post this morning. Using Firefox 100.0.2 on Zorin 16.1(Ubuntu with different clothes).

John
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Following your report @jab1 I tried again (several times!).

Whereas I didn't notice the image changing before because it was fast, closer inspection shows the first image appearing for a very brief time before showing the second.  I don't see the third.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for the feedback @Anonymous

I suspect the website's recognising you're a customer, so it's showing you a different version of our homepage.

If you could try a different browser, that would be handy. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gandalf wrote:

I suspect the website's recognising you're a customer, so it's showing you ...

an error page ?  🙄

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gandalf wrote:

I suspect the website's recognising you're a customer, so it's showing you ...

... that it's time to migrate somewhere else ?   LOL  😉

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sorry for the confusion.

The redirect from what's shown in your 1st screenshot to your 2nd would be due to the site recognising you are a customer.

Regarding the error in the 3rd screenshot would be why I've asked you to try another browser. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gandalf wrote:

The redirect from what's shown in your 1st screenshot to your 2nd would be due to the site recognising you are a customer.

If that is the case, wouldn't it be better to first load a plain Plusnet purple background and then redirect to the correct page, rather than causing awful looking flickering by having a content heavy first page be loaded, rendered, redirected, and then immediately overwritten ?

For what it's worth, right now the page is currently displaying correctly with image #2, using the same tab in Firefox that I've had open all morning, but half an hour ago refreshing the same page was randomly sometimes ending on image #2 and other times on image #3, whereas an hour earlier the page loading sequence always went to image #3.

Next time it gets stuck on ending on the error page #3, then I'll try another browser - although I don't know what that would prove when I've seen this on three different PCs with different versions of Firefox

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Totally get what you're saying, but as it seems no-one else is experiencing this strange behaviour, I'm asking you questions as part of troubleshooting to try to narrow down the cause for the problem and get to the bottom of the issue. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Anonymous
Not applicable

Firefox (on all PCs) is at this moment working correctly and ends loading on image #2

Chromium flickers badly then displays image #1

Chrome took tens of seconds to load completely and seemed to render image #1 about five times in succession

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cheers for the testing. At least you aren't getting a broken error page, which is the main thing. 

I can't say why the redirect isn't working for Chromium, but it's a relatively niche browser and even if you were to solely use Chromium, you could find links to the account page at the top of the website. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet