Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet unlimited - great start!

Spunge

Plusnet unlimited - great start!

Good afternoon
I would just like to add my thoughts on the Plusnet ISP
I was very dubious when I was looking for a new ISP as I am a gamer (World of Warcraft, Everquest, Counter strike source etc) and I also download a lot of stuff from newsgroups.
I had been with AOL for about 7 years, previously I never really had much of a problem until the last few months. Peak times my internet was dramatically throttles. In WoW I was having a constant 600ms (If I’m lucky!) and in ventrilo I was getting up to 20k ping – This all settled just fine after 10 o clock
So I searched for a while to find an ISP that would suit my needs – and I found it so far!
I picked plusnet because of these kinds of comments gave me the confidence to use them. I chose the unlimited package because of my downloading and in my first week I’ve had no problems whatsoever (And they say the first week can be slow!)
My games play great (no high latency/ping), I am able to get 40 ping constantly in ventrilo and counter strike source ping is never high at all (never above 40) , and this is all in peak times
I’ve never tried downloading from newsgroups during peak times but I’d imagine that it’d be just as fast!
So to anyone reading this who has their doubts, don’t! it’s a great package
And to plusnet, thanks! Its good to be able to play the games I love the times I want to!
Regards
Spunge
5 REPLIES 5
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Plusnet unlimited - great start!

Hi welcome to the forums Smiley
Glad you are finding it all good so far.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
scootie
Grafter

your usenet may be thottled during peak times but that so plusnet can keep your gaming pings ect running sweet Wink
if you missed the fact that PN thottle then heres the expected speeds page for things that are capped http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/quality_broadband/speed.shtml
i switched from an old product BBYW3 30gb to unlimited and have found the traffic managment to be much the same Wink
and my xbox runs tip top to on unlimited (waits for adeiwoo to say an xbox never runs tip top  Grin )
welcome to PN and the forum
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I also moved "in" 2 months ago, switched to unlimited 2 weeks ago, so far  Cheesy Grin
My Usenet downloads have now spread to 7 days instead of w/e (before plusnet), the speed is good "off peak" and follows the limits when on peak, I don't games online so can't comment on that.
Even in a "degraded" state  :o, they have provided a better service than Enta (my previous supplier) managed over the last few months before I jumped, the speed has been good and the "problems" raised have been dealt with quickly.
However I would say that you are more likely to get a better answer here than by a ticket  Tongue Smiley
scootie
Grafter

also you could try raising a ticket to have interleaving turned off to improve on the all ready great ping times your getting Wink
it can cause your line to become unstable as error correction is turned off. it only takes 24 hours for each request on/off to complete so if it did become unstable not a big job to get back to where you are now.
3000kbps profile line and run with interleaving off fine.
Pinging bbc.co.uk [212.58.224.138] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 212.58.224.138: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=122
Reply from 212.58.224.138: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=122
dusty222

I joined Plusnet 2 weeks ago and from day 1 the speed was exactly what I was told it would be,6mb,compared to my last provider in Spain it was 15 times the speed faster. Once I placed the order everything went as I was told,the router arrived on time,I was connected on the day and since then it's been a wonderful service.
Paul