Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet password visible to call centre staff

Tulner
Dabbler

Re: Plusnet password visible to call centre staff

Quote from: Chris
Quote from: avatastic
Every access to your password is logged by the system, so there is always a record of when a CSC Agent has had to look at it.
Additionally the passwords are probably stored encrypted but in a way that can be decrypted (rather than being stored as a one-way hash).
I believe it has also been said in the past the the systems used to store the passwords/retreive them are only accessible from an internal VPN and aren't directly connected to the internet.
This pops up from time to time, so I hope I've remembered everything!
Cheers,
A.

Pretty much nail on head there.
I understand peoples concerns with this, but we do monitor who is looking at passwords (the CSC actually should only ask for 2 random characters that are decrypted and displayed to them).

Ok so when my amazon account or similar gets hacked by one of your employees and they spend £100s on my card.
How do I know it was on of your employees?
If I have my suspicipions that is was one of your employees and report it to you without any evidence you will just ignore it of course.
So basically your employees will have ZERO repercussions from harvesting passwords, because NO ONE would suspect it was them and NO ONE would have the slightest bit of evidence to prove it was them even if they did suspect it.
Your policys are ridiculous and I am right now ringing to cancel my installation, you have lost me as a customer and I paid for a years line rental in advance because I was so certain I would be staying, not now now ever.
I will be ringing the ICO some time thi sweek because I do not believe you told them the whole story on what you are doing, because I can not believe they would say what you are doing is fine, especially without ANY warnings on sign up.
I find it utterly appalling you can sit here and defend this ridiculous policy and do nothing about it when you are right now loosing a customer over it. a Fibre customer who was going to pay a years subscription in advance.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@'Tulner' -
You have left it too late for tonight to cancel, as the cancellations team are only available until 8pm

As it says "You'll need you username and password handyCrazy
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: Tulner
when my amazon account or similar gets hacked by one of your employees and they spend £100s on my card.
How do I know it was on of your employees?
If I have my suspicipions that is was one of your employees and report it to you without any evidence you will just ignore it of course.

Out of interest, how would Plusnet support staff know what your Amazon Username and Password are ?  Huh
Tulner
Dabbler

Quote from: purleigh
@'Tulner' -
You have left it too late for tonight to cancel, as the cancellations team are only available until 8pm

As it says "You'll need you username and password handy"   Crazy

Too bad when you tell them to shove the password they tell you they can get in with just your address huh?
going to add it is not just the password making me cancel it is the utterly appalling attitude of the staff, the pretend staff ( moderators) and the troll customers who obviously spend all day on these forums acting all high and mighty.
And I arranged my cancellation just fine thanks, going to get a call back tomorrow to complete it.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Out of interest, how would Plusnet support staff know what your Amazon Username and Password are ?  Huh

Because somebody uses the same password and email address for all sites.. very secure that.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone who has the same password for their ISP and Amazon accounts,
must have been reading the chapter about "Online Safety" from this book -
Wulfy
Grafter

To be honest you were going to cancel regardless of how much you was being mocked. If you use a password i.e your cats name or the goldfish for only one site, what damage will plusnet knowing your goldfishs name do?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do people really name their goldfish ?  Shocked
Wulfy
Grafter

My kids had an argument on the very subject of what to name the 3 goldfish Smiley Got quiet heated!
Anonymous
Not applicable

In this instance, "Beavis" seems an appropriate goldfish name  Grin
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Could we please return to topic?  Smiley
Quote from: dvorak
Because somebody uses the same password and email address for all sites.. very secure that.

It's a valid point that, whenever you sign up online with an email address or username and password, you don't really know who might have access to these.
Using different passwords (and usernames where possible) on every site where a compromise of that information would be detrimental is essential to your own security.
[OT] @Tulner, please note that your posts have not been deleted - this might not be the case on many staff moderated forums, that's one of the differences here - the moderators only apply forum rules and are generally acknowledged as being very impartial.  You will also not that you are able (if you wish - as can any forum member) to report any posts that you believe break forum rules.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Wulfy
Grafter

How did you guess my plusnet password.... better go change my ebay amazon outlook ann summers and tennor lady accounts!
In this instance, "Beavis" seems an appropriate goldfish name  Grin
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Ok guys time to get back on topic and cut the comedy.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't remember any comedy ...

... but then again I'm Beavis the goldfish,  and goldfish don't remember anything !

Now what was I saying ?

Quote from: w23
Using different passwords (and usernames where possible) on every site where a compromise of that information would be detrimental is essential to your own security.

In addition to unique Usernames and Passwords, I use a different email address for every service I sign up to.  Not only does in increase security, but it is MUCH easier to block rogue SPAM when you can filter email using the "To:" field in the message header.  
It is also sometimes interesting to see when you start getting unwanted emails from unrelated sources, just who is passing on your email address because only you know that the email address you supplied is unique, but the person using it doesn't.
For example, I started getting emails apparently from Barclaycard, with the email address that I had used once to contact Planet Rock.
I also regularly change my email address on my eBay accounts, as I find that business sellers continue to send marketing messages, long after you made a one off purchase and you have no further interest.  The previous email addresses, I just redirect to the email TRASH folder.
mrcasa

Can't help but noticed this post was 2013 & Plus Net continue to ask me for my password over the phone & online chat in 2018. As I am are continusly remindered by online services never to share password with anyone, this does seem very concerning practice for an internet service provider.