Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet not fit for purpose!

FIXED
itwashimnotme
Rising Star

Plusnet not fit for purpose!

Hi folks,

Every time i see the Plusnet ad on TV these days i begin to retch.

How stupid i was to sign up to this cowboy company i say to myself nearly every day.

Why oh why did i not do some online searches to see what kind of feedback there was prior to signing up.

My issue: Appalling  broadband speeds!

Plusnet's response has been to blame everyone and anyone other than themselves of course.

10mbps is the speed that i have according to their checks yet in the real world 4 mbps is what i actually receive.

15yrs ago 4mbps would have been the norm for most people but IN 2017 it is absolutely NOT ACCEPTABLE!

I have changed BB supplier every year for the previous 6 years and every single previous supplier has given me just over 10mbps until that is Plusnet came along)

They duped me into signing up to their home phone & broadband package with promises of up to 17mbps.

In my previous thread on this subject one of the Plusnet staffers concluded that i should go out and buy a better router for myself in the hope that it may improve my speeds.  REALLY Huh

Plusnet want me to waste my hard earned money to replace their naff equipment - it's not going to happen!

What did i do ? well, i cancelled my direct debit was the 1st thing and as my next payment is due soon i fully expect Plusnet billing dept to be contacting me demanding to know why my bank has refused to pay them lol

They are soooooooh not going to like my answer when they call.

28 REPLIES 28
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Plusnet not fit for purpose!

neither will you when you get cut off and when it gets sent to a debt collection agency

itwashimnotme
Rising Star

Up to 17mbps was the headline rate that they used to con me into signing up.

Once signed up what speed did they actually give me ?

Just under 17mbps? err NO!

Half of 17mbps? err NO!

A quarter err YES!

The telecoms regulator must surely investigate this gutter company!

I'm going to finish on a plusnet plus point:

I also signed up to Plusnet's mobile service and i have to say that two months in i couldn't be happier!

Excellent 4g signal, In fact it is far faster than my dedicated home broadband from Plusnet.

itwashimnotme
Rising Star

Thanks for your input oldjim Be a good lad and toddle off somewhere.....

itwashimnotme
Rising Star

Chippin in with a single derogatory sentence oldjim shows you for what you are - a plusnet apologist;

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you're having problems with your connection speed.

Just to clarify, up to 17Mb/s is the advertised product. This is based on the speeds achievable on the service overall. However when you sign up, we do provide a tailored estimate for your line, for yours this is:

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 7 -- 6 to 8.5 Available -- -- -- --

I've also tested your line and it's in sync at 11396, which is well above the estimates for the line.

Are the speedtests you're getting over a wired or wireless connection? If wifi, do you experience issues on a wired connection too?

Looking over your account I can't see that a fault has fully been reported to us for investigation, so if you're getting the same speeds on a wired connection please report this at https://faults.plus.net

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
itwashimnotme
Rising Star

Where have you gone oldjim?

If you want to have a bit of word play with me then i'm happy to oblige...

itwashimnotme
Rising Star

Hi Chris,

Frankly i don't give two hoots what speed Plusnet are saying my line supports because the reality of the situation is that i am consistently receiving between 4 & 5 mbps!

WIFI is how i connect. A hard connection is not feasable because the signal would be corrupted as the master socket is located next to my TV.

itwashimnotme
Rising Star

I'd also like to add that all of my previous suppliers have given me just over 10mbps speed.

Nothing has changed other that my supplier - YOU!

itwashimnotme
Rising Star

Hey Chris, i do appreciate you taking the time to respond however i am signing out as i need to let my anger toward Plusnet subside a bit.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@itwashimnotme wrote:
A hard connection is not feasable because the signal would be corrupted as the master socket is located next to my TV.

Please help us help you.

We're not suggesting it as a long term solution, we're simply requesting you test using a wired connection to try and rule out the problems being specific to wireless.

If a wired connection is going to be corrupted due to location, it's likely a wireless signal will also experience interference if it's coming from the same place. Is your router connected to the master socket?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

In the current clime changing annually is the only way to get the best offers and avoid subsidising new customers.

alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

@itwashimnotme wrote:

15yrs ago 4mbps would have been the norm for most people but IN 2017 it is absolutely NOT ACCEPTABLE!

I must have been abnormal then. BT offered just  a nominally "up to 512kbs" when I got my first internet connection in 2004.  A nominally "up to 2Mbps service"  became available a couple of years later and a nominally "up to 8Mbps service" only began to be rolled out about 10 years ago. It would have been at least another couple of years before it became "the norm".

itwashimnotme
Rising Star

Hi,

A couple of days ago Plusnet took it upon themselves to move this thread from the dedicated broadband forum to the backwater of the feedback forum. As i'm the OP it would have been polite of them to at least ask me my view on their decision to bury it in feedback - my answer would have been no of course because this thread is specifically in relation to a broadband issue and has nothing to do with feedback.

My data speeds are still dire sadly however my mood lifted a little yesterday because yesterday was my plusnet direct debit date (broadband & landline) and i am happy to confirm that plusnet did not get a penny from my bank due of course to me cancelling the direct debit some days ago.

What now?

Plusnet are presumably not happy because they are not receiving payment.

Similarly i am also not happy because plusnet have not been giving me an adequate product therefore in my view they do not deserve and will not get payment.

I suspect that the next thing to happen will be that they disconnect my service entirely and quickly thereafter will start to send debt collector letters to me.

Hey, it will not alter the fact that regardless of how many nasty letters the send to me THEY WILL NOT GET A PENNY!

I've been getting some good advice from one or two of the debt / money forums including Martin Lewis) and i have also written to ofcom detailing my situation.

I will try and update this thread on any developments although that may be problematic if or when plusnet disconnect my service.

Graeme