cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet & newsgroups suck

keefy
Dabbler

Plusnet & newsgroups suck

Just migrated to pusnet from a proper isp ....what a really bad mistake its 7.30pm and the best speed i can get off the newsgroups is a max of 16kbs
It reminds me of dial up speed does anyone know how i can leave plusnet straight away cos this is a very very unfunny joke of a service, funny how it was never mentioned in the sign up much you restrict access to the newsgroups.
60 REPLIES 60
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Plusnet & newsgroups suck

Which ISP did you migrate from keefy.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
keefy
Dabbler

zen ....and my god after seeing the pathetic speeds i wish i hadnt  Cry
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

How long ago did you migrate as it can take a few days for your connection to stabilise.
Can you do a speed test at www.speedtester.bt.com and post the results here.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
keefy
Dabbler

lol... really its been synched at 8mb for 3 years with zen and connected to plusnet at 8128kbps.....a speed test with adslguide rated it at 3300 kbps yet it can only manage 16kbps on the newsgroups so i aint totally sure you are right bud !!
Emma
Grafter

which package are you on?Huh
Have a look at http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/quality_broadband/speed.shtml#valuespeeds which gives you the speeds expected for each package.
keefy
Dabbler

Thanks for the replies but i think that the BT speedtest clearly show that Plusnet are blatantly manipulating my (maybe other peoples) speeds regarding newsgroups and downloading from them, the speed i am getting is not even anywhere close to what they publish on the website.
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  832 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 7150 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 5606 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

To be honest if you want good speeds on Usenet at peak times you would need to be on the Pro package.
Note that the tables Emma referred to are entitled Maximum Expected Speeds
keefy
Dabbler

Oldjim  ....do you remember dial up bcos i can get those sort of speeds on a modem.
Plusnet have manipulated/managed or whatever you want to call to such a point that they have shot temselves in the foot . In this day and age you cannot offer a servce that only gives you 10% of the speed that the company themselves say you should expect to get OR do you really believe that 16kbps on an 8mb line is acceptable.
Heres an analogy for you
BMW say that their new car is capable of 800mph but during rush hour traffic you should only expect it to be capable of reaching around the 128mph mark, however when you buy it no matter how hard you put your foot down it will ONLY manage 16mph and you Oldjim say ?  Thats ok i am quite happy with that ...i don't think so
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

keefy,
why are you picking on me - I am only the messenger  Grin
I suspect that the problem is because of the latest Windows update - mine was 40MB this evening and this is hitting the available capacity such that the non time critical protocols (Plusnet wording) are getting severely squeezed. This is why I made my comment about the Pro package where everything is in the gold queue
keefy
Dabbler

Oldjim ...if the pro package was suitable i would of had it HOWEVER this kinda lets pro down (15GB usage allowance) i wouldnt be able to even download the new headers from the newsgroups let alone a few films
As for the windoze update, if Plusnet's backbone is creaking at that that, they need to either stop selling capacity they clearly don't have, or increase it and stop blurting about unlimited, one day Oftel/DTi is gonna kick companies like Plusnet's backside and it won't be before time.
I am on the unlimited package and it is unlimited but only if you dont mind downloading a 4 gig film in about 4 days ....ooops sorry is this 2009 or 1989 and i am on dial up  Shocked
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Keefy:  These are the expected speeds of the various protocols on unlimited.
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/quality_broadband/speed.shtml
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi keefy,
I understand that your frustrated about the usenet speeds, however we are completely open that we prioritise interactive traffic (browsing, VoIP, gaming etc) and have limits on some of the more bandwidth hungry applications. This is advertised across the product pages here found on the more info link of our website homepage.
Midnight until midday will give you the best performance on usenet binaries as we don't rate limit during those hours.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
keefy
Dabbler

Yes i have read them and it says Expected speeds...............it says i could expect 128kbps not the 16kbps that i am getting and in case you have have any problem with the maths thats not far off 10% of what would be reasonable to expect....andthat is regardless of the fact that my line could support over 8000kbps.
Best thing to do is stop selling and promoting something you as a company clearly can't support  Huh
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'm downloading from usenet at the moment and getting very close to the unlimited advertised speeds. Are you download at 16kbps or 16kB?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.