cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Protect (McAfee Anti Virus)

KDPN2015

Plusnet Protect (McAfee Anti Virus)

Was using this for a while after my subscription to Norton Internet Security expired. And computer was becoming slower so I started to suspect that it had been compromised. Rebuilt the software on the machine after first returning it to it's factory condition. Then tried to download and install the Plusnet Protect suite from the Plusnet site. Downloaded the McAfee file OK but it refused to install. Said there was a problem with my internet connection or that the McAfee server was down. Advised to try again in a few seconds. No joy after 12 hours so contacted Plusnet support. They could not help and suggested it was a McAfee problem. 24 hours after that called Plusnet support again and they gave a number to contact McAfee. On hold with McAfee for 30 mins until got through to somebody who could put me though to 'Home User Support'. No indication how long  would have to hold for and line appeared to go dead. At that point I gave up and have decided to go out and but a copy of Norton Internet Security. Not impressed by the 'support' for Plusnet Protect.
10 REPLIES 10
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Plusnet Protect (McAfee Anti Virus)

TBH you would be better off without PN protect  Shocked
But Norton itself most likely slow your PC down  Lips_are_sealed
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Not correct - at least no longer - https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/ but don't let facts get in the way of opinions  Grin
KDPN2015

Thanks for the replies.
TBH, it was my impression that Plusnet Protect was slowing things down, or else something else was. Was generally happy with Norton Internet Security but decided not to renew as Plusnet Protect was included as part of my broadband and phone package. And NIS comes with a registry cleaner also, if I remember correctly, so think I prefer that. Just my view, but if Plusnet Protect is included as a 'selling point' of Plusnet broadband, perhaps some support should be provided for it?
Pretty frustrated as have had no AV for a few hours but been restricting my internet browsing to 'safe sites' like this one. ( :D)
Have included screenshot of the installation message.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

a quick question - which operating system are you using
KDPN2015

Don't laugh but I have an aging Toshiba laptop which I have looked after. So Vista Home Basic. And allowed the system to download around 114 updates before trying to install Plusnet Protect. In fact, I have rebuilt the machine twice in the past 36 hours. On the first try of installing Plusnet Protect, SP1 had been installed. Also tried after SP2 had been installed.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I won't - the question was more in case you were running XP which the latest version doesn't support
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

When PN introduced this AV software I think without exception we all said what a very bad choice - very few if any liked it.
I think its a good idea for ISP's to promote a AV suit like this to encourage use of a good package - but it has to be one of the better ones
KDPN2015

Many thanks for the replies. Am now just more determined to go back to Norton Internet Security.
Have now installed NIS and it seems fine.
gordonb27
Dabbler

Quote from: KDPN2015
Don't laugh but I have an aging Toshiba laptop which I have looked after. So Vista Home Basic. And allowed the system to download around 114 updates before trying to install Plusnet Protect. In fact, I have rebuilt the machine twice in the past 36 hours. On the first try of installing Plusnet Protect, SP1 had been installed. Also tried after SP2 had been installed.

Tell me please how do you rebuild your Laptop and why ?
As a PC tech Ido such things as replace various components, re-install the operating system etc.
Rebuilding like stripping completely and reassembling is a no no due to time/cost considerations.
Norton and McNaffie are both hogs, regardless of what sponsored reviews say, opinion of experienced users is of much more value.
For most people, who don't frequent questionable content sites, Microsoft's in built Defender is more than adequate, the best firewall is the one built into your router but it does take a bit of time and effort to utilise.
If you must subscribe to a premium AV package use the absolute best; Kaspersky.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

gordonb27 ,,, Agree 100% so called unbiased review sites are all Suspect  Undecided
McNaffie  Cool  cool name Norton was the biggest system hog going  but it getting better .
i still use windows built it AV and firewall ,, NEVER had any infections over the past 7 years since i gave up on AVG 
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .