Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Pro, we need more GB per month

matt_2k34
Grafter

Re: Plusnet Pro, we need more GB per month

@nibor
exactly.
That means anyone who plays any "obscure" games doesnt get its traffic lumbered with p2p et al.
Means you should get good service regardless of the game your playing (hence the 'geared for gaming')
Dom
Grafter

Quote from: Matt_2k34
That means anyone who plays any "obscure" games doesnt get its traffic lumbered with p2p et al.

I'm not sure what you mean there. Do some games get their traffic "lumped together" with other non-gaming traffic?
matt_2k34
Grafter

It depends,
if the game is not in the defined games list, this COULD happen.
Not all games require a definition though, as some share definitions (because they work on the same ports)
Dom
Grafter

Oh. That's slightly worrying, although I guess it wouldn't make a huge amount of difference if a game's traffic was classed as something other than gaming traffic. Still, I'm glad I asked for Star Trek Online to be added to the list.
/nerd
matt_2k34
Grafter

Not particularly, if theres a major issue with the latency in a game if you give the network guys a nudge it normally only takes a few days for a definition to be sorted  Wink
Once its done its done Smiley - but by being on pro, you wouldnt get a shoddy latency at all - (or shouldnt)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

We genuinely get very very few complaints about latency on pro. With regards to bandwidth offered on this package and given the other threads about the same subject in relation to our other account types I'm starting to thing that a more flexible account type could be offered. For example you could pick between different allocations to start off with which could have a different base price e.g 10, 20, 40, 60 or 80gb then choose a profile which suits you best, gaming, streaming, p2p for example again these could be charged accordingly. What do people think?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
matt_2k34
Grafter

as far as im concerned, if you do that Adam you'll screw your userbase.
Non-tech people already get confused over the questions over usage and shaping. and unfortunately this is what PN seems to have geared itself around.
You could however, add a fourth package with PRO shaping and 60gb of usage, although it would have to be reasonable in terms of cost - as i dont think people will pay more than the high £20s... (Elite package? :))
I personally love the idea of picking the amount, and then picking the profile... but would your userbase "Get it" ?
Also, would Plusnets traffic management system understand so many variations on products - and would the Billing system manage? ...
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

as far as im concerned, if you do that Adam you'll screw your userbase.

Very true and hence why I raised the evocative question really
I personally love the idea of picking the amount, and then picking the profile... but would your userbase "Get it" ?

I think some would and some wouldn't, maybe some level of being able to 'create your own' account type along with some pre-configured options would be best.
Also, would Plusnets traffic management system understand so many variations on products - and would the Billing system manage?

I don't want to jump the gun here but given the problems we've experienced of late I'm sure we will go a long way to focus on resiliency for the billing system if new account types are created.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
David_W
Rising Star

How about instead of focussing just on Pro you introduce extra bandwidth for say £10 to add 20Gb which can be added to any current account, Pro, Value or Premium.  This extra 20Gb is by default throttled from 8am-midnight using Premium throttling to prevent abuse of the service by people on Pro having 40Gb to P2P during peak hours.  If however people want the ability to remove restrictions they can pay extra for unrestricted Gb, with the unrestricted being used first in the case of Premium/Value.
So you start off with Pro 20Gb, then they add 20Gb for £10 but want unrestricted P2P on their 20Gb so that costs an extra £5 (of course, these are figures that are made up) so they can choose to have 20Gb totally unrestricted then 20Gb restricted on all but surfing/email/gaming/voip/streaming for £29.99/month or pay £34.99 to have 40Gb of totally unrestricted traffic.
People on Premium can also choose to add 20Gb for £10 to their 60Gb and if they want they can also add the 20Gb in unrestricted form letting them have Pro speeds for 20Gb at an extra cost of £15, or whatever cost PN feel justified.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks David W, that's a great idea.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
nibor
Grafter

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
Thanks David W, that's a great idea.

Not at those prices, would move to BT inifty.
matt_2k34
Grafter

Reasonable idea or not, its still difficult to explain clearly (it took me several read-throughs to get that)
and nibor, that was just a "concept" the pricing ofc would be much more competative then that.
id expect it to be pence per gb to be competative.
zubel
Community Veteran

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
maybe some level of being able to 'create your own' account type along with some pre-configured options would be best.

I've got the perfect name for it:  "Broadband Your Way"..
</sarcasm mode off>
This was originally what the BBYW packages were going to be, but then we had another product refresh to "simplify" them.
I'd still like to see three basic levels of packages with various payable addons.

Anyhooo..
B.
magnetism2772
Grafter

what is it with speed that makes it so popular?
when electricity can travel at the speed of light
but its  not much good  while it can and  after
you've paid for it
(in your telephone bill and network, after all, its just a remote Ethernet connection like your home local network)
your only allowed to use it for a 10Watts or 20Watts usage
this greedy attitude is very british
must  everybody support  materialistic  faganism ?
matt_2k34
Grafter

@ barry
Perfect, exactly hit the nail on the head here.. and the reason BBYW wasnt popular was because... (i believe PN cited the packages were confusing??)
@giro
The difference is your "Paying as you go" with your electricity. the former PAYG account let you do the same with your broadband. However with how much bandwidth many new applications use, PAYG doesnt pay for a good % of PNs customer base i'd expect. Bandwidth back from outside PNs network is very expensive. You pay for what you use. Its not really "Materialistic faganism" more "Good business sense"

Also when it comes to diagnosing faults? your going to make things very difficult ...
What package are you on? "Plusnet Custom"
With what shaping? "Pro"
What Allowance? "60gb"
So now people who help on the forums need to ask at least 3 questions to find out what package a customer is using.
my 2p... If people want a "custom" package, they'd go to AAISP. What WOULD be nice is sensible charges for more bandwidth. that way people could still have the bog basic packages, with the dependant shaping, and still add a chunk of more bandwidth.