cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Pro? Satisfactory GB Or Not Enough? Poll

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Plusnet Pro? Satisfactory GB Or Not Enough? Poll

Thought Id start a poll on this subject as It always crops up, And you never know If we all vote then Plusnet might listen to their gaming customers. This poll runs for 30 days. Vote now
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
122 REPLIES 122
Spider
Grafter

Re: Plusnet Pro? Satisfactory GB Or Not Enough? Poll

As this is the replacement poll for the one in the locked thread I thought it was best to move my comments across to this thread.
To answer the questions asked...
Is 20 GB Enough for gaming?
Yes, currently, although online gaming everynight and hosting a gaming server over the connection total usage is rarely over 10Gb per month. Extra allowance is never to be sniffed at as my orginal 15Gb Pro package was upgraded to 20Gb although I never have reached the previous 15Gb amount.
For people who game, but struggle with the allowance I am curious how much of the actual usage is made up from gaming rather than other web activities?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Going back to a suggestion made a year or so ago and modifying it as bit.
How about letting a user switch between profiles - Extra and Pro with separate allowances on each. Even if the marginal cost for Extra was added to the Pro subscription.
I think the original idea was to let users go onto the Pro priority for a limited period by paying a premium for that time
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I thought you were allowed to changes between the current packages once a month
Oldjim
Resting Legend

You are but the suggestion was within a month as needed
magnetism2772
Grafter

I think this poll is a good idea
however its not in plusnet's financial interest to increase its internet byte by byte usage
and from what I've read this month from staff posts nothing is going to  change
and I would like to see a minimum  of 60 GB on all plusnet's products
I wouldn't pay more than an extra £5 though whatever was  offered
the internet ISP(s) are regressive as I got far more then , than I do now for just £5 more each month
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Well giro It's maybe time Plusnet listened to the gamers for once after all they claim to cater for the gamer. So let this poll be a voice to Plusnet and where from a gamers point of view Its all going terribly wrong.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: Spider
For people who game, but struggle with the allowance I am curious how much of the actual usage is made up from gaming rather than other web activities?
Very good point and I also am curious? Come on Gamer's get posting screenshots of your usage allowance Wink
BrianE
Grafter

The Pro package is only suitable if (and ONLY if) you use it solely for games. Even then, with a lot of Steam updates using close to 500mb each, and new games often being in the region of 2-5GB, I can understand why a lot of gamers are struggling.
Why isn't the Pro package just an extra £5 or £10 ontop of the Extra package? £10 seems reasonable to be free of the traffic shaping
However, as it is currently, I can testify that the 20GB usage limit is the single reason I'm not upgrading to Pro. How many other customers are staying on Extra for the same reason?
I'm not an extremely heavy user, I don't download massive amounts of data during the day yet my usage seems to wander between 20-40GB a month. I think it's very unreasonable to charge extra to give people less, regardless of whether they can use it faster or not
It's like paying to use a fast lane on a motorway, but then only being allowed to travel 5 miles before you can't go any further - not even using the regular lanes - without paying an extra £5 per mile
Sounds like a very bad deal to me  Undecided
BrianE
Grafter

If I could suggest a solution, why not go for something like Pro users always go at line speed for the first 20GB, but then complete the rest of their usage (40GB, making up 60GB like the Extra package) at the speed everyone else goes at? That would be far more fair, meaning the extra cost of Pro means you can go faster for the first 20GB.
That sounds like a better deal for customers, and a far better package overall, IMO  Huh
David_W
Rising Star

Gaming is not shaped at all, it always runs priority/linespeed so 20Gb or 100Tb makes no difference to actual gameplay.
Is 20Gb enough? I dunno, I get 13Gb and find that perfectly adequate and yes, I have been known to download a lot each month.  What you are asking for is unrestricted allowance to download lots of files, it has nothing to do with gaming (except maybe downloading updates, patches, games from steam - not gaming relating, downloads).  If 20Gb isn't enough for you, switch to the 60Gb package, your actual gaming won't suffer (priority/linespeed remember).
So, from a gaming point of view, who cares about download allowance, it's ping that matters.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: BrianE
Why isn't the Pro package just an extra £5 or £10 ontop of the Extra package? £10 seems reasonable to be free of the traffic shaping

Pro is available for £26.49 an month with a 30GB allowance if you are on a market 3 exchange (and if one month you use less than 25GB they'll give you a £5 discount!).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Just a thought and I'm not eluding to anything here but would you think a 4th residential account type with usage somewhere between pro and extra would be a popular introduction?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Oldjim
Resting Legend

depends on the profile it has
nibor
Grafter

I need more than 20gb to download my games from steam, I cant stay up till midnight to start as im at work for 6.30am, one game ive bought is 15gb download.