Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet, BBC Watchdog

chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: Plusnet, BBC Watchdog

yes and the point i was making had nothing to do with CLIENTS.
the point i was making was that it is insane to use a mail service from an ISP.
TESSANN
Hooked

I too have emailed Watchdog

DW1

Well done, the more the better. I think the general service we get from Plusnet is very poor. The wait times for tech support is far too long. How impaired people manage I don't know.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@rrose614 wrote:
......but I can only configure Outlook for one service at a time and I use that for my work e mail address, therefore if I want to read my PN e mails on my PC I have to use Webmail, unless anyone has a better suggestion

I don't believe that Outlook is limited to only one service @rrose614?   I have used it successfully for multiple services using a mix of Exchange; pop3 and IMAP.  Perhaps you could explain why you can only configure one service?

Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

Please Explain why Using a ISP Email is insane ????
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
chenks76
All Star

why would you choose to use an ISP supplied email as your primary email?
you are essentially locking yourself into that ISP's product.
what happens if you choose to leave that ISP? you then need to migrate to a new email account as it would unlikely you would get to keep it (and foolhardy to continue using it should you leave).
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

well you see i only ever get a max of 4 Emails a week , so its not Hard to migrate 4 people Thumbs_Up

So the Webmail is all i will ever need , But i would like it to work correctly when i need it to as it has done, most of the past 8 years here .

There is no way i want to install a Client just because PN cant fix it

chenks76
All Star

my opinion that it is still insane to use or rely on any ISP supplied email service.
plusnet supply email as a "bonus" and with no guarantees or service (IIRC), and the problems you are now having merely confirm my opinion.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

WebMail is NOT a bonus Crazy2

chenks76
All Star

the mail service is a bonus.
you still don't seem to be grasping that webmail is NOT the service. webmail is simply a means of using that service.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

Sorry i feel you are just being a bit pedantic

quelquod
Pro
Fixes: 1

@chenks76 wrote:
the mail service is a bonus.

It's maybe a bonus for you (though I doubt it) but it has been a contractual part of my service since I joined (Force9) in 1998. Not only that, although I have my own domain for emails, Plusnet send all communications to postmaster at my force9 address so if the email service doesn't work they can't communicate with me. 

Plusnet's old free web hosting service was always a bonus, but their email is an integral part of their offering.

Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I can't find any mention of the email service in the current broadband package pages or the terms & conditions pages.

The terms & conditions also say it's your responsibility to ensure Plusnet have an up to date email address (for you).

quelquod
Pro
Fixes: 1

The way of describing things has altered over the years.

When I first joined, email wasn't optional in any way - Force9 allocated an email and that was that. FWIW they still use my original one to communicate with me although I also have my own domain.

The way that things work now is that the Ts&Cs refer to extended services (or similar wording) which cover inter alia email, webmail, various sorts of content blocking (safeguard), firewall and various add-ons on top of the basic broadband service. They aren't listed in the Ts&Cs because they're subject to change and have been added to over the years and it saves continually updating the legalities. The one single service which I can recall was always advertised as 'best efforts' was web hosting which is no longer advertised for home users.

Consumer law is that when you start a contract, all advertised services are a part of that which are not declared otherwise or as extra cost etc. So email is, and I think always has been, contractual. Plusnet could of course choose to stop supporting it or any other service and this would automatically terminate all contracts unless users chose to accept the change. But then, so could Gmail or the like.

Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
custos
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I have been with Plusnet for over a decade and frankly have never had a problem with email. I use multiple accounts with the Plusnet Servers using Thunderbird and also my Windows Phone.