cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet fibre checking not consistent with BT - why?

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

PlusNet fibre checking not consistent with BT - why?

Last night a friend of mine asked me about PlusNet supplying FTTC.
One member of the group discussing this has FTTC (from BT since late 2013!) and lives maybe 200 yards from me, further from the exchange.
I can't get it as our cabinet isn't enabled, the availability date is showing as 31/12/15!
The questioner lives equidistant from us and somewhat nearer the exchange than me. His cabinet is also NOT enabled for FTTC, though he didn't know that.
He had asked BT for FTTC and been told no, but when he asked PN he was told yes.
Being a sceptical techie (like me) he decided to ask me as he knows I'm active in this area, before confirming the order.
So this raises the question of how can PN think FTTC is available when it isn't?
Do they just check the exchange, or look at specific lines/cabinets?
11 REPLIES 11
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: PlusNet fibre checking not consistent with BT - why?

We should use the same database at BT, which I believe pulls the results from http://dslchecker.bt.com/ - what does that say?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
HPsauce
Pro

That says it's not a BT line, which is true.
I believe he gave the full address and maybe that's where the problem lies?
Some addresses (further from the exchange along a longish road with houses on one side only) with the same postcode ARE served by a FTTC cabinet (the one my friend mentioned above is on) so that could also be confusing things.
catelliott
Grafter

That sounds about right. Some properties within one postcode might be enabled, whilst others aren't, so proving the full address may show you that fibre isn't available, where as just using the postcode might show that it is.
HPsauce
Pro

So do you know at what stage in YOUR process the full address is checked, and how?
I have seen a few reports on here where people have ordered FTTC from PN only to later find it's not actually available, though I do realise the reasons may not only be related to cabinet confusion.
We have a cross-check via his ADSL speed which is excellent. This gives a line length that is far too short to reach to the FTTC-enabled cabinet (and back to him) serving part of his postcode as this is some distance from him further away from the exchange.
catelliott
Grafter

Could you direct message me the address you're referring to so I can run a few checks from our end? Smiley
HPsauce
Pro

Will do, right now. Thanks.
If you can resolve this you might get the business......  Wink
AndyH
Grafter

You will sometimes get inconsistencies (on the DSL Checker) using an address vs telephone check for FTTC. The address based check doesn't look at the actual physical telephone line serving that property and it's possible the telephone line might be on a different cabinet (or even exchange).

HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: AndyH
The address based check doesn't look at the actual physical telephone line serving that property and it's possible the telephone line might be on a different cabinet
This is what worries me, is there any way of checking that?
Cat, thanks for the PM reply, I ran the address check myself and it said cabinet 12. Now I don't know where that is, can anyone tell me how to locate it or PM me the location.
As noted above, the current ADSL speed suggests that should be between the property and the exchange.
AndyH
Grafter

Ordering systems are completely different though and far more detailed. There's a disclaimer using the DSL Checker against using an address rather than number.

HPsauce
Pro

Yes, PN staff have done some more thorough checks, with useful results - thanks folks.  Cool
The actual phone line had been with Be for some time and was then taken over by Sky so there are a few difficulties in the simpler checks.
It still doesn't feel 100% right to me, given what I know of the area, cabinets and (lack of) recent progress in enabling them, but his only option may be to place an order and see what transpires.
It looks like BT can't/won't take an order but PN will.  Wink
HPsauce
Pro

Just to close this thread off with the final outcome. Cool
My friend, whilst being very appreciative of the assistance I had from PlusNet, decided for his own good reasons to persevere with BT.
He was in the end, despite multiple repeated "computer says no" responses, able to find some one in BT who would do the relevant checks and take an order.
He has now escaped from Sky, has a working BT phone line and a BT Infinity modem that is to be activated today.