cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet Fibre broardband is so bad.

TheTruthOfTruth

PlusNet Fibre broardband is so bad.

Don't sign up to PlusNet... ever... it is terrible.

12 REPLIES 12
MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: PlusNet Fibre broardband is so bad.

Useful and in depth to help others.

for what its worth mines ok...

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

@TheTruthOfTruth

No point in asking about your current Plusnet broadband issues as you appear to be a Virgin customer.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
stryderuk

Unlike the OP I am not a virgin customer and have recently signed up with plusnet from sky.

Likewise I can only agree with the poster.

I signed up, with expectations of between 52-73mbs and uploads of 20mbs, however I am a seeing paltry speeds of  44-48mbs d/l and 14mbs u/l, totally not what I was sold.

This is 10 mbs better than my old account which was up to 38mbs (at a price that reflected that)

My next door neighbour, (who is with sky), is getting speeds of 55-58 so anything that will be posted further regarding speeds, is just air smelling of sulphur.

The audicity is, I have even received an email from Plusnet, telling me what they sold me and what i am receiving !

I am guessing that is their legal obligation, which then totally ties me in if I dont respond..........

I suppose best customer service, is defined by the eye of the person dealing it out.........

geek26
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

As far as I'm aware the speed given at sign up is estimated and this is stated at sign up. Saying that though if you were given a speed of 52MB up and you are getting up to 48MB your not far of at all and are quiet close to your estimate.

James

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@TheTruthOfTruth

We're happy to help investigate any problems you're having, however we'd need you to let us know what the issue you're seeing is.

@stryderuk

Sorry that you're connecting below the estimates for your line. I've looked over your account and can't see that you've advised us that you're having issues. Unfortunately until you do, there's little we can do to help.

Testing your line shows your line is stable and connecting a decent speed:

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0001
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found but unable to check for customer equipment connected to modem.
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 54.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 16.1 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 616.5
Upstream Rate Assessment Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed Daily
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence From 16:15 to 18:45
Interference Location Customer Premise
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off

Are you using a wired or wireless connection for your speed tests?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
stryderuk

Actually that's the problem in this country, too many people accept offerings far short of what they are paying for.

While people think its ok, it will continue to be a practice that UK isp's continually get away with.

I don't agree its ok at all.

stryderuk

@Chris , I will log a call if that is the protocol. 

It was a wired test I did, as wifi is not an accurate way of testing. By Plusnets own admission, as per a mail received today, I am not getting those speeds you are seeing at the exchange and if you are able to look in my account, you will see as per plusnets mail, those speeds are not correct.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

@Strat Virgin customer or Virgin CEO?

@geek26 If you are promised 52-73 Mbps and are getting 48, that is unacceptable.  If you are promised up to 52 Mbps and get 48, that's acceptable; it's all relative.  I don't think I've ever seen an ISP promising a minimum or a range like 52 -73 before though, it's always been "up to".

By the way, M=mega, m=milli, if you have genuinely been offered 48 millibits per second, run the other way as fast as you can.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I don't think I've ever seen an ISP promising a minimum or a range like 52 -73 before though, it's always been "up to".

The products are advertised as up to 76Mb/s etc, however during signup we provide an estimated tailored to the line which has the range included.

@stryderuk

The test results I've posted are the raw sync speed your router is connected through to the cabinet at, it's these speeds the estimates are based off as the actual throughput can be impacted by so many factors.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
craigbudd

your so lucky my plusnet garanteed 70(mbs down 30 up  i get 18 down 1.4 upabsolute rubish we tried leaving they tried taking us to court

chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

nonsense.
plusnet do not offer any product with 30Mbps up.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

All and any ISP / BTw / BTOR reference to 'speed' is the line synchronisation (raw bits) speed.  All speed tests are data transfer rates.

Transferring data requires error checking bits and flow control bits adding in - generally you can recon on 12% overhead as a 'wet finger' overhead for this.  So 48Mbps data transfer would not be too far out for a line SYNCHing at 52Mbps.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.