Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance graphs removed

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Performance graphs removed

As noted elsewhere the link to the performance graphs has been removed and also the pages themselves have gone. The main one used to be at http://www.plus.net/support/service/network_performance/broadband_bandwidth_usage.shtml.
Just what are the motives behind removing those pages?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
33 REPLIES 33
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Performance graphs removed

We have removed the network performance graphs as they contained commercially sensitive data. We were the only provider to publish this sort of sensitive information in an increasingly competitive marketplace.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

another useful page gone for a burton
avatastic
Grafter

Forums will be next.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

That thought had occurred to me too!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

and the first one who makes comments about Rats and Sinking Ships will be reported to the remaining moderators  Grin
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

This is beginning to look serious.
MarcusJClifford
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
We have removed the network performance graphs as they contained commercially sensitive data. We were the only provider to publish this sort of sensitive information in an increasingly competitive marketplace.

This is rather disappointing - your comment regarding We were the only provider to publish this sort of sensitive information... is EXACTLY the sort of thing that made me choose PlusNet over other providers. I want to know as much information as possible about my broadband (which I consider a critical part of infrastructure).
There is far too much secrecy in this marketplace - from BT locking down the FTTC modem so end users can no longer do any diagnosis themselves, to now this preventing us from at a glance identifying one potential cause of issues.
I left Entanet because they removed almost exactly the same information you have now removed.
Would it be possible to re-introduce this, perhaps with the most "commercially sensitive data" removed - e.g. using general percentages instead of actual figures etc?
Thanks in advance,
Marcus
mlmclaren
Grafter

LMAO...
Ciao Plusnet  Grin
chrcoluk
Grafter

They did say they were going to remove these graphs in the original capacity thread. so I guess they eventually got round to it.
Am I surprised? no.
I also think these forums wont be removed, but further downgrading of support response on here may happen so its more in line with BT retail forumd.
Of course if complaints on here get high enough they may possible consider ditching the forums for damage control.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I think we will see more complaints on here , as Tickets removed , Chat is IFFY to be available , Phone calls are ridiculous wait times , so  the only access to PN staff is VIA the forums  Embarrassed
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
leader
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
We have removed the network performance graphs as they contained commercially sensitive data. ....only provider to publish this sort of sensitive information in an increasingly competitive marketplace

Really?
Last time pn were saying :
... the graphs on our website are outdated and need updating or removing, they don't realistically reflect the real-life capacity of our network or peaks across the network.

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,135389.msg1212448.html#msg1212448

(BGN's) Juniper mx960  Embarrassed

How it comes accross....... Embarrassed
AndyH
Grafter

I said this would happen a while ago and it doesn't surprise me at all. The only surprise is the length of time it has taken for them to remove it.
If this kind of data wasn't sensitive, ISPs all over the world would be publishing it.
leader
Grafter

Its only  sensitive to the PR department.
Its  a network embarrassment
AndyH
Grafter

Knowing the number of users and the growth in users intraday is highly sensitive.
Equally, you can make an educated guess of their WBMC bandwidth and usage based on what was displayed.