cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any capacity issues?

Melancholie
Grafter

Re: Any capacity issues?

Not sure how you could read that. It simply states that the only message 'bean counters' care about is the one that gives them fewer beans to count - taking your business, and hence your 'beans', elsewhere.
deathtrap
Grafter

Quote from: Melancholie
Not sure how you could read that. It simply states that the only message 'bean counters' care about is the one that gives them fewer beans to count
better now ?
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: ejs
Do people remember times in the past when it was said that the lack of flat tops on those graphs showed there was plenty of bandwidth?
They appear to have flattened out a bit at the top this evening.

Back to normal now ejs, best bit of info I've seen in this thread for a long time... mostly dross..

deathtrap
Grafter

Yes once the 40G mark is exceeded  it's melt down,  Infact once usage hits 30G it starts going pear shaped
I have a question : Does Plusnet purchase elevated traffic from BT Wholesale at all ? Andy H ( Purely as he may know this one ?)
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: Melancholie
Uh-oh.
The Faraday one I'm not too scared by, however the Colindale...

I wasn't too convinced by the Faraday one especially when you look at them now (pdf also attached).
However WBC Colindale2 definitely looks scarey, and I'm not convinced something may be amiss at WBC Stepney.
IPSC Colindale I'm a bit dubious about as well.
See attached png'd for those 3.
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: deathtrap
Does Plusnet purchase elevated traffic from BT Wholesale at all ?

Why would they? There's an additional cost per end user and this is not something any major ISP offers to residential users. Elevated traffic only gives a preferential traffic weighting for the SVLAN.
fibreuser
Grafter

Got to so say so far pretty unimpressed with the response on this from PN,
I have ticket 101029941 open which was done through plusnet CEO, 6 days and counting and no real response yet.
AndyH
Grafter

What do you expect them to say though if they seriously do not know the source of the issue?
I don't think it's an issue with the amount of capacity Plusnet buy from BTw - either the contracted/burst + host links. The nature of exceeding this would mean packets being indiscriminately dropped.
Chris said extra capacity was going in last week and the bandwidth graphing pages don't show half of what Plusnet have.
Melancholie
Grafter

I don't envy them their position, they are owned by BT Group PLC, but it's probably time to push harder for information from BTW.
Of course, Plusnet may have been informed by BTW and can't tell their customer base.
If this is expected performance and there are no issues outside of the normal it'd be great to have this mentioned so that this thread can be put to bed.
chrcoluk
Grafter

Melancholie you think there is nothing in my theory regarding DPI equipment been bottlenecked?
I mean the weird upload performance issues I wouldnt expect on downstream saturation.  I was hopping like crazy a few nights ago to get upload above half speed.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

To address some of the points made since I last update this thread, the graphs on our website are outdated and need updating or removing, they don't realistically reflect the real-life capacity of our network or peaks across the network.
We've looked at exchange level data for many of the posts on this and we can't see the same levels of latency or content that are being reported, there are some exchanges that show larger levels of contention or latency and we generally post these on http://community.plus.net/exchange-information/
Quote from: Chris
To help us continue to investigate, there's an updated set of information we'd really appreciate being filled in.

Date speed problem started: e.g. 10th March
Exchange Code (you can find this by searching for your exchange here http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/): e.g. SLCD
Speedtest results: Be useful to see the results from multiple tests
TBB Latency graph:
Does the problem affect any of the following:
Gaming - Y/N
VoIP - Y/N
Streaming - Y/N
Downloading files - Y/N

What impact are the slow speeds having on your normal use of your connection? e.g. My file downloads are slow or iPlayer is buffering.

Unfortunately there is too much generalisation, as I've said before there are many different factors that could be in play which mean that although many of the symptoms may be similar, the underlying causes might be completely different.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: Chris
............... the graphs on our website are outdated and need updating or removing, they don't realistically reflect the real-life capacity of our network or peaks across the network.

I sincerely hope that they will NOT be removed and they they WILL BE UPDATED, no doubt in due course
In the past they have been a valuable resource for helping to identify certain issues and individual customer problems.
Or would it be that Plusnet are no longer going to be the Open & Honest provider that they used to be Shocked
fibreuser
Grafter

PN now looking into this for me will post updates later this week.
fusileer2002
Grafter

Ever since the broadband outages on the 13th march (I had atleast 2 disconnects that afternoon that I noticed) my evening speeds and more important latency has been vastly improved! So whether something somewhere in the network was fixed/replaced/added/sprinkledwithmagicdust on that afternoon I don't know but something has made a difference. Anyone else notice any improvements? Or perhaps mine won't last, we shall see...
fp
Grafter

I s this a sign of congestion/undercapicity: speed down (by about 50%) and ping times up by about 50-100%
Update
This morning my download speed appears to recovered, but not the latency.  I don't know enough about the technology to understand why, but do not believe it can be a problem with my equipment, which has not changed.  BT modem never switched off.  Router up for 7 days.