Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying more and getting less

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Paying more and getting less

Can someone from Plusnet comment on why I'm throttled off peak and why the throttling is affecting browsing? I was under the impression that P2P etc got throttled and not browsing / email etc.

You haven't actually hit any of the usage limits on your account yet and your traffic management profile is correct. According to the VMBU you've usage around 11GB and you won't hit the restrictions until 13GB.
Have a look at this page for more info: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/archive/bb_premier1.shtml
What kind of speeds are you seeing at the moment?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
SeanM
Grafter

Chris your correct  I'm still below the 13GB threshold for peak useage it is about 11.5GB.
My router is reporting this -
Data Rate
Stream Type Interleaved Channel Data Rate Fast Channel Data Rate
Up Stream         448 (Kbps.)                                       0 (Kbps.)
Down Stream 3648 (Kbps.) 0 (Kbps.)
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 13 dB       20 dB
Output Power 12 dBm       8 dBm
Attenuation      3 dB       6 dB
I've down a speed test and d/l is 2879 kBps with u/l around 383 kBps.
I normally get around double that on download although my line normally connects around the 6-7Mbs and is the estimated speed according to your line checker.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Sean,
Can you try connecting the router to the test socket with nothing else connected.
There is something badly wrong with those stats - something unfiltered or a duff filter perhaps
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

That's not our traffic management causing your slowdowns then Sean, it's more likely that something is causing interference on your line which in turn has meant your sync rate has reduced. Have a read of the link below for more information on speed faults and steps to help resolve them.
Broadband speed faults and how to diagnose
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
SeanM
Grafter

Jim - It's odd - connected into the test socket and got the following
Data Rate
Stream Type Interleaved Channel Data Rate Fast Channel Data Rate
Up Stream               448 (Kbps.)                                 0 (Kbps.)
Down Stream       7200 (Kbps.)                                 0 (Kbps.)
Operation Data
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 22 dB         6.5 dB
Output Power 12 dBm         8 dBm
Attenuation         2 dB         6 dB
Reattached the faceplate & plugged my phones back in and got  the same connection.
What is worrying the speed test still gives me the same results as before.
I can change the micro-filter as I have a spare or it may be that my router is showing its age but I'd expect better speeds then what I'm currently getting. The exchange is about 500 yards from my house and I live in a small village so contention shouldn't be that bad.
Chris - Thanks I'll investigate and see if I can shed any further light on it.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Your speed tests won't show an improvement until your ipRate increases (takes up up to 3 days). Have a read here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm
Assuming that the minimum speed your router synched at is 3648 then your present ipRate will be 3000kbps
A quick check - what does this say https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
However with that attenuation you should be getting full speed (7616kbps) with a higher noise margin
SeanM
Grafter

It comes back with 3000 so it looks like I'll have to monitor it over the next few days.
mal0z
Grafter

Quote from: brewerdave
I am having an inordinate amount of problems with my previous ISP - part of their Company acknowledges that I have migrated (early Sept) and that my account is closed - another part of the same organisation is threatening me with legal action

Started new thread here
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,72254.new.html
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Edit: missed some posts, was just saying what others (e.g. OldJim) were about testing....  Embarrassed