cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Passwords

WasJohn
Grafter

Passwords

Why, in their great wisdom, does Plusnet require different user names and passwords for Mobile and Broadband, and not just different passwords but in a differing form.

Some of us are disabled by accident, age and deteriorating brain power and we really don't appreciate the efforts that young IT whippersnappers go to, to make life more difficult. I still haven't been able to get into my mobile account since I took out the contract.  So could the two halves of this company please agree on a common way for their customers to access their accounts,

13 REPLIES 13
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: Passwords

Hi @WasJohn,

I'm sorry to hear that you've experienced issues whilst trying to access your mobile account. If there's anything that you'd like us to assist with in that regard, please can you send me a private message across including your full name and address with the postcode included, as well as your mobile number?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@WasJohn,

Broadband and mobile customer accounts are entirely separate entities, managed by distinct business systems.

Whilst I share your frustration about multiple accounts and passwords, in general it is not ideal to have the same userID and password on all services ... get those credentials compromised and someone could access a lot of your online presence.

That said, Whilst you might not be able to make the PlusNET user accounts id3ntical you ought to be able to change the password(s) to be the same.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

From a customer's perspective all the Plusnet products are sold and supplied by Plusnet. It isn't unusual to buy more than one service from the same company (e.g. gas and electricity) and have a single bill and single payment, but with Plusnet I have 3 ADSL accounts and 3 mobile phone accounts all with separate bills (if they can actually be generated), separate logins, separate passwords. All have direct debits from the same account.

It is like buying a basket of groceries in a supermarket and having to pay for each item individually.

Internally Plusnet may separate things out into separate business sections, but then they market them all as if they were from the same company. It is confusing and inconvenient for customers.

The argument that it is for security is dubious. Better to have one account where you can see everything than have to log into six separate accounts just to check them periodically.

WasJohn
Grafter

You make my point exactly, thank you.

I use a small company in America called Microsoft, they allow me to use the same pin number for all of their products and services all over the world.  I thought that using mobile and broadband from Plusnet would be similar. The solution is simple, sack one of the finance directors and get the other to do both jobs.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @WasJohn, thank you for your open and honest feedback regarding your experience of our security measures.

We're sincerely sorry if we've caused you inconvenience and I can assure you that this isn't the intention.

We'll ensure that your feedback is passed on to the relevant team but please do get back to us if you need anything else at all.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

I take your point @corringham but if there are two different business systems it just isn't that easy unless one system is integrated into the other, along with the attendant costs and hassle. If the log in became integrated I have no doubt that the next request would be for a single account, bill etc. I agree that this is how utility companies operate but I assume that this was brought about through the introduction of a new integrated business system from scratch.

From what I read regarding problems with the updated broadband billing system suggests that such updates are not Plusnet's specialty!

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

WasJohn
Grafter

I managed to speak to a young lady who took the trouble to tell me my user number, something which hadn't been disclosed to me previously. I can now access my account without perming each user name and password that my password manager tells me it holds for Plusnet. It may be dangerous to use the same password for every site but at least I can access each one.

corringham
Seasoned Champion

@Baldrick1, I understand the issues, but Plusnet have just implemented a brand new improved billing system (I know it isn't actually as good as the old one currently, but...). It could have been good, but they've painted themselves into a corner for another 5-10 years.

And I don't even see the problem with producing a single bill, even if the billing system is built on top of separate backends it should be possible to aggregate the information. That's how many businesses work (it tends to be horrible under the hood, but that keeps lots of us employed).

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@corringham, @WasJohn,

I imagine (although none of the support staff know or are privy to such information) that eventually integration will likely happen at some point.

I suggest this as Force9, Free-Online, FNN and Metronet services were all eventually integrated into the Plusnet platform (where they were once held separately).

Mobile is still relatively new to us following the purchase of Life Mobile (November 2016) and there's the consideration that not every PN Mobile customer has a broadband service, and vice versa so that has to be taken into account. Because of the systems being different (and held on separate platforms) integrating them will take some time (if it's ever done). Changes like that, while from a customer point of view may seem simple, are rarely that simple. Often there's regulatory considerations that have to be signed off, testing that has to be done, legal stuff and a large number of other background things that have to happen, these always take time. 

corringham
Seasoned Champion

@JOLO, I understand the issues. I've been working in IT for 40 years, so I've come across most problems that crop up.

The problem Plusnet have is that unless they make things attractive for customers they will lose them to other providers. The tactic of being cheaper can only compensate for a certain amount of inconvenience. And being cheap means you have to cut costs, which means less money to invest, which is a vicious circle that soon spirals downwards if you're not very careful.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

This is not so much an issue with billing but rather the CRM which fundamentally does not cater for the concept of a single user entity having multiple product services (except the intrinsic phone+BB). Fixing that would need another fundamental business system development ... !!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

corringham
Seasoned Champion

Yes, but why would a company go with a system with restrictions like that in the first place? Amongst other things Plusnet offer a Business phone and broadband. Many businesses have more than one site, and are quite likely to want more than one phone/broadband line. They are unlikely to want a separate account and bill for each. Allowing an existing customer to add additional items to their account is a good way to extend business relationships. Making them have an additional account for each is a good way to encourage them to go to a supplier that can provide a single account & bill.

To me it seems Plusnet are in a hole, and they are still digging.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Not disagreeing - it’s history - not a good place to start from and fixing it is no magic wand job.

Personally I blame BT Group ... an expectation of massive expansion of market share but without the investment in business systems required to support it.