Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PN web site confusing

paulgul
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

PN web site confusing

I seem to be going around in circles on the PN web site at the moment (well when pages decide to load!). I've had an email today saying Fibre is available in my area and I thought I would try and find out what speed I could expect on my line. Starting at this page https://portal.plus.net/fibre-broadband/broadband/ clicking the ? next to the "up to 40Mb" suggests I click "check availability" to find out what speed I can expect. When I click the button it takes me to the change product page. I don't want to change product (yet) I just want to know what I can expect from the product on offer.
If there is a page where I could get an idea of what speed I can expect could someone post a link please.
Paul
13 REPLIES 13
houlton23
Grafter

Re: PN web site confusing

If you put your phone number in here and look for the paragraph about WBC FTTC that will tell you your estimated speed.
Alex Smiley
Steve
Seasoned Pro

@paulgul, It does not  do that for me, I presume you were logged in when you tried It?
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
paulgul
Rising Star

Thanks Alex,
that give an estimated speed of 36Mbps so that sound good, will have to give it some consideration.
Wouldn't have been easy for PN to have had a similar link or page on their web site.
Steve, yes I was logged in, shouldn't I have been? -
Well I logged out and tried it, after entering my phone number and postcode it come up with a window saying that I'm already a PN customer and if I want an upgrade to call them - Hmmm an internet supplier asking me to ring them **, haven't they heard of emails  Wink
Just adds to my original comment of how confusing and mixed up PN's web site is.
Paul
** sorry I mis-read that, it asks me to call them if I can't remember my login details  Tongue
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I was logged out and It works for me, It also could be because I am no longer a PN customer, PN will have identified you with your phone number.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Mayfly
All Star

paulgul I gave up the other day for exactly the same reason - kept taking me to change product and I couldn't find out any info so I gave up - mind you I know I won't get fibre I just wanted to read about what was on offer.
joncooper
Grafter

does it for me too, I click to find out if fibre is available yet, it takes me to the upgrade page, I don't want to upgrade I just want to check availability
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

If you click on "product change" then "change product" it lists the products that are available to you. That should include Fibre products if any are available. You don't have to go any further into the process (ie select one of them), click the Back button (or another menu item) to exit the process.
Note that clicking "change product" will update the Member Centre speed estimate for your current product.
David
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Quote from: spraxyt
Note that clicking "change product" will update the Member Centre speed estimate for your current product.

So it does!  Smiley
First time I've ever seen it although the estimate is clearly based on ADSL1 rather than the ADSL2+ I am actually on so not sure what use it is!  Cheesy
paulgul
Rising Star

Quote from: spraxyt
If you click on "product change" then "change product" it lists the products that are available to you. That should include Fibre products if any are available.

Ok, I've got this far, from here how do I find my expected speed from fibre on my line (yes, they are available). The only speed listed is my current product. I'm afraid to go any further in the process in case I actually switch to something I don't want yet. I actually have this info now from the link provided earlier, my point being the link/info could be made more readily available on the PN web site.
Paul
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

In each of the available product boxes isn't there a line that says Estimated speed: …?
David
David
paulgul
Rising Star

There is, but I didn't realize that was for my line, I just assumed it was a general figure quoted - got there in the end.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Thanks for the feedback guys, checking for availability is really part of the upgrade process at the moment and it does concern us if anyone finds this off-putting.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
joncooper
Grafter

checking for availability is really part of the upgrade process at the moment

maybe that's part of the problem? cos it really doesn't seem intuitive that way
I see Openreach installing cabinets and pulling fibre nearby and just want to know if I can get it (at all)
when I have established that it's possible, then I'd want to consider my options
ie; I'd like to stay with plus.net, but quite frankly the 120Gb limit may be a sticking point*
maybe the usual 'product refresh' in April will address this (hopefully)
I certainly wouldn't want to find out availability as part of an upgrade process that might tie me into a contract

*wife is disabled and home most of the day, add in a couple of teenagers streaming and we regularly hit 80Gb+ with no P2P