cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One for Plusnet Customer Service Agents.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

One for Plusnet Customer Service Agents.

I had a call yesterday from  relatives who live 20 miles away. Their old Technicolor router died years ago so I have fitted them up with a Smarthub 6.

Recently they lost their broadband connection. As an aside further information has suggested that this was caused by BT working on the overhead lines. This was not suspected at the time.

My relative rang Plusnet seeking assistance. The advice given was to factory reset the router. My relative did not know what this would do and followed the Agents instructions on how to insert a paperclip in the reset hole etc. Obviously this reset the Smarthub back to its default BT settings. It was only after the Smarthub failed to automatically connect to Plusnet's system did the Agent realise that there was a non Plusnet modem/router on the end of the line. At this point the Agent advised that no more Plusnet assistance could be given as they could not help with third party devices.

I accept that suggesting a factory reset was not a bad suggestion but I imagine that there are many non computer literate customers who have Plusnet devices with non standard settings tailored for the user's set up and/or other third party manufacturers' devices that have been set up by friends or paid 'experts', especially in today's interconnected home environment.

Consequently it occurs to me that Plusnet Agent's 'crib sheets' would benefit from the inclusion of asking which Hub customers are using and giving a warning that all special settings will be lost or pointing out that no help is available to reconnect third party devices, before advising customers to factory reset the device.

It might of saved me a 40 mile round trip this morning!

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

4 REPLIES 4
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: One for Plusnet Customer Service Agents.

Plusnet often suggest a factory reset on speed faults - obviously neglecting a simple switch off / on which would have the same effect, but without losing all customisations.

Not that either option has ever fixed any router, ever.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @Baldrick1, we are sorry for the inconvenience this has caused and completely understand the frustration.

I have not listened to the call but I do agree with you that the agent should have asked the make of the router before advising any steps. Can you please send me the username for the account via a PM so I can send the relevant feedback to make sure it gets highlighted internally to the advisor?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@Beyhive 

Thanks, PM sent.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @Baldrick1,

Thank you for the PM, I have now passed on your feedback to the relevant team leader to discuss it with the advisor.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team