cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One arm tied?

exporters
Grafter

Re: One arm tied?

Keith @ PN.  Further to our conversation latter part of Tue. afternoon & in light of Mand's/XPcomputers, seems wise not to tinker with switching face plates.
Lost time later in day and only got everything sorted late in the evening - one or two drops will be self induced due to replacement router & getting RouterStats running again.  In summary, everything will now stay on 24hrs to see stability or otherwise & you opinion on the way f'ward. Current stats. below.
Much appreciated
Ian 
exporters
Grafter

Mand, no bag came with new for old router.
Quicker to give me address + ref. please & I'll post it off in it's own box.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Good Morning exporters,
I will give Keith a heads up about you not switching faceplates. We can however send you a BT I plate socket if you would like to try that as they an help in such circumstances. Please see this link for more information: http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-i-plate-58LT.html
I'm sorry to hear too that you have not received the returns bag we ordered for you. I have added our postal address to the open ticket on your account, Keith will give you a call later today.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
exporters
Grafter

Adam,
Thank you & a full reply on my ticket.  The BT IPlate sounds interesting, I'll let you know results when I get one.
Old router returned and will wait & see how the things settle down and d/loads creep back up again.  At present things look optimistic.
exporters
Grafter

Now 24hrs. + since last set of results, I've attached the latest for today.  Seems the replacement router, HAS helped with line drops.
D/load speed improving & presume will not jump [hopefully] until IP profile changes [it's actually dropped slightly].  SNR line looks rather saw edged is this normal or what does that say, please?
So, at present I'm just waiting to see how things go!
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi exporters,
Good to see that you are still online  Smiley SNR can initially fluctuate when a line resyncs, this should settle down today for you. Lets see how things go from here and we're keeping our fingers crossed that the profile should correct itself after 72 hours, we can see now reason why not as things stand at the moment but we will keep an eye on this for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: exporters
SNR line looks rather saw edged is this normal or what does that say, please?

The sample-to-sample SNR margin variation looks OK to me. The TG585v7 resolution on that value is only 0.5dB so a slight variation round 12¼ (for example) would be shown as 12.5 or 12.0, switching as the fancy took it. The variation after dark is often a little livelier, and there is a hint of that in the graph.
The CRC and HEC error counts are also quite respectable after being connected for approaching a day.
David
exporters
Grafter

Spraxyt, very reassuring comments, particularly since I've been trying to figure out the FEC/CRC/HEC's during the day.  Don't understand them, even with the help of Kitz.co.uk, which I normally find really helpful.
Your input much appreciated.
We may be just getting somewhere with this new router & the dedicated assistance from the PN chaps.  [latest router picture of the day attached] Interesting to see how the next 2/3 days pan out.
Ian
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

That noise margin plot is quite good - pleased to see longer periods between 'saw-teeth' during most of the day. Slightly livelier from 3PM (which is where yesterday's plot started). Are you aware of any local event around that time? Neighbour returning home, perhaps turning electrical equipment on?
There is one noise margin blip, probably manageable even if the noise margin was much lower.
I think with regard to FEC/CRC/HEC error counts most of us regard 'large' numbers as undesirable, but what is 'large' is very subjective. My own router accumulates about 500 CRC and HEC errors a day, and seems OK at that, but I've seen much larger and smaller rates posted with no suggestion of transmission problems.
David
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Morning all,
Just to add, the connection is still stable at present and we can see just over 50 hours of up time. I'll check this again before the end of today and report back again.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
exporters
Grafter

BT I-Plate has just arrived.  Just broken the connection to insert it.
Straightforward up to a point - I already have the BT ADSL v10 plate [last BT engineer fitted] so I have slipped it between this & the Master socket; with this extra depth of two intermediary plates, the screws supplied of are too short.  I've strapped it quite securely and now everything is in test mode for 24 hrs. to see if quality of SNR improves.
Are these TWO plates designed to be used together?  The claim for the I-Plate is it increases speed & reduces noise - so why does the ADSL v10 not have these features integrated into it?
exporters
Grafter

Looks like I may be answering my own Q.  I see the last BT engineer connected three wires to the ADSL v10 faceplate, one being the 'orange' bell wire; I  think maybe this is why I heard & PN commented as well, that there was an occasional 'hissing' noise on the line.  As far as I can see, the 'orange' wire should be disconnected. [http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm]
Also, I have read elsewhere that the I-Plate is not necessary with BT's ADSLv10 plate.  Line stability from 'drops' also seems OK [confirmed by PN] since the replacement Thomson took over.
I attach current RouterStats shot; the blip is where I inserted the I-Plate.  Seems a slightly more severe saw tooth than I had before, bear in mind these are with the bell wire in place.
I'm now in two minds as to whether I should replace the above two faceplates with my own 'ADSL - Nation Professional' and see what that does with the bell wire removed.
Comments please, appreciated.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

exporters,
As per the instructions sent with the I-plate that you should have received it does state that it can only be used with a BT NTE5 master telephone socket. So you would need to disconnect the ADSL V10 filtered faceplate prior to installing this.The idea of an I-plate is to bypass the bell wire but also provide additional radio frequency filtering so if you decide to use this permanently you would need to use a separate micro-filter. So its up to you if you want to do that. I would not be concerned about the saw tooth patterns in SNR that you have seen when the line resyncs. At the moment I'm glad to say that your line has remained up for the last 2 hours and 55 minutes since you made this change. I would also add at this stage that if things are more stable for you with the I-plate and you receive improved sync speeds then you could stick to using that with a microfilter in place. Otherwise if its no better then go back to the ADSLv10  or an alternate filter faceplate if you wish.

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
exporters
Grafter

Adam - prompt response much appreciated.
Suspected as much & have replied on ticket.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: adamwalker
The idea of an I-plate is to bypass the bell wire but also provide additional radio frequency filtering

Believe you will find that the i-plate does not bypass the bell wire but run it through a low pass filter which blocks the high frequencies feeding back on the A/B pair.