cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

October Price Increase....PlusNet are no longer competitive

gromittz
Grafter

Re: October Price Increase....PlusNet are no longer competitive

Just been running through some rough numbers of what I'm paying at the moment in a Market 1 area, with no introductory offers or deals etc..
Current cost per year for BB and Phone ( inc LRS + Eve/w-end with current provider )... £396
Jump to TT LLU for BB and Phone ( inc LRS + anytime )... £210
Saving £186 over a 12 month period.  Shocked
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I've just had a Sky rep at the door but I'm sticking with PN.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
charlesb224
Dabbler

Quote from: Chris
Sky is unprecendented low, and BT is up there with TalkTalk, so I don't think PlusNet can really get on their high horse about complaints

I'm not sure what our complaints numbers are, but I don't think they're the same as BT retail (although our figures *might* be included in theirs).
the current £2.99 deal for 9 months and then 9 months back @ £9.99. No reduction in Line Rental

Is that not the same offer that new customers get? https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/

Chris, seeing that the Options rep banged on about Customer service and quality - perhaps you can let us know what your stats are for the last 3 qtrs.
And, yes, that offer is the same as the new customer offer.  which is still too expensive when you factor in the Line Rental £2/month more than TT when you use Line Rental Saver.
pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

the current £2.99 deal for 9 months and then 9 months back @ £9.99. No reduction in Line Rental
Is that not the same offer that new customers get? https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/

Is that for customers in a fabled  low cost area?Huh
a quick check of the pricing shows this

from page https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/
Plusnet Essentials
    With a contract: If you live in a low cost area it costs £8.49 a month, if you live outside one of these areas it costs £15.49 a month
    With no contract: If you live in a low cost area it costs £10.99 a month, if you live outside one of these areas it costs £17.99 a month
Plusnet Unlimited:
    With a contract: If you live in a low cost area it costs £12.49 a month, if you live outside one of these areas it costs £19.49 a month
    With no contract: If you live in a low cost area it costs £14.99 a month, if you live outside one of these areas it costs £21.99 a month
Plusnet Essentials Fibre:
    If you live in a low cost area it costs £18.49 a month, if you live outside one of these areas it costs £25.49 a month
Plusnet Unlimited Fibre:
    If you live in a low cost area it costs £22.49 a month, if you live outside one of these areas it costs £29.49 a month

And Then on here https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/faqs/general/#lowCost it states this:
What is a low cost area?
There are 3 different categories for UK telephone exchange areas - Market 1, Market 2 and Market 3.
Which one of these categories your area falls into determines the price you pay for broadband. Where there's more competition in an exchange between different providers, we can offer you better pricing. This is known as a 'low cost area'.
Find out more about the exchange areas and see which one you live in by reading our Guide to Low Cost Areas.

I have Two LLU suppliers on my Exchange (Talk Talk and Sky) , as well as BT Wholesale, so by plusnets definition I am in a low cost area and should be paying significantly less
Following the links through you come to this page, with pretty much the same definitions again..
1. What's a low cost area?
In the areas we can supply broadband, telephone exchanges are split into 3 categories - Market 1, Market 2 and Market 3.
Which of these categories your area falls into determines the price you pay for broadband.
Market 2 and Market 3 exchanges are currently classed as low cost areas. See the table below for a breakdown of how this works.
Exchange category This means
Market 1
    BT Wholesale is the only provider of broadband
Market 2
    There's 2 or 3 different providers of broadband (including BT)
    Or there's 4 or more forecasted providers and less than 10,000 properties served
Market 3
    There's 4 or more different providers of broadband (including BT)
    Or there's 4 or more forecasted providers and more than 10,000 properties served
The rules used to define markets were introduced by Ofcom in 2008. You can read more about this and the deregulation of the UK broadband market in Ofcom's statement.

Offcoms statment takes you to a PDF dated May 2008 thats over FIVE years ago

James
Grafter

Pit - Not sure if you're aware, but you're quoting broadband only prices.
£2.50 cheaper if you have phone with us.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: Chris

What were you looking at ?   Huh
The TalkTalk package is for new AND existing customers, and STAYS AT £2.50 per month - unlike Plusnet where starts at £2.99 and rises to £9.99 per month.
[quote=ThinkBroadband about TalkTalk packages]Some will be wondering if the £2.50 per month is a promotional price, and the answer is no, it is the standard monthly price. Existing Essentials customers who want to take advantage of the new low price point can change product if outside their minimum term.
pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

These are my current costs with plusnet:
Plusnet Extra Broadband £17.99
Line rental £9.49 ( equivalent monthly cost with line rental saver)
Talk anytime package £4.00 per month
Total cost £31.48 per month, or £377.76 per year
a quick check on the talk talk site
Simply Broadband £2.50 per month ( im aware that this is probably a promotion - and will dig out the normal price - but im guessing its significantly less than plusnet )
Line rental £9.50 per month ( equivalent monthly cost with talk talks version of line rental saver )
Anytime calls £5.50
Total monthly cost £ 17.50, £13.98 less than plusnet per month, Annual cost £210 which means that over a year Talk Talk are £167.76p cheaper than plusnet
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: James
£2.50 cheaper if you have phone with us.

No matter how many times I read that it still seems odd.
Pay another £14.50 to save £2.50
Or for better savings don't spend £14.50 to save £14.50
NedLudd
Grafter

But surely, you have to pay line rental to someone!  Sad
Geoff,
York.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

True but the increasing tendency to tie line rental to broadband must make the market less competitive overall.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

And I don't think most customers like it when one is transparently subsidising the other.
They/we are not that stupid and certainly don't like being treated as though we are.
The saving aspect is a sham when one part is overpriced to compensate.
peter10
Grafter

I seem to remember reading that at the end of this month Talktalk annual line rental was increasing to £10.50 per month equivalent. However Quidco are offering £60 cash back so I am beginning to wish that I hadn't just renewed my PN contract as I could have saved well over £100 going on the new Talktalk package through a cashback site.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I guess most people using BT for phone have the free caller display, so the equivalent cost on Plusnet is £15.49.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
NedLudd
Grafter

For years now I've always kept my BB and land line with the same supplier. This has been the case since one tried to blame the other when a fault arose.
It gives me peace of mind that the one is responsible for all the traffic on the one line and, in the event of a fault, I have to talk to one supplier only.
The fact that I get a little discount for doing this makes no difference, although it is most welcome! Cool
Geoff,
York.
Petard
Rising Star

One way to assess companies' service is to look at subscribers' aggregated experience on sites like Which? (probably available to consult free online or on paper in your local library). The last time I looked, a few months ago, before renewing my LRS, PN were still scoring well – but they weren't the only ones; they have competition. If a company changes, for either better or worse, I suppose this will take a while to be reflected in such ratings.
Personally, I am prepared to pay a bit more for good service, but not a lot more. For the moment, PN still has the edge, but I'm not wild about the way it's going – and there's a reminder in my diary to review all my suppliers at intervals....