Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nobody can help

BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Nobody can help

We have no influence to change the product which is not surprising considering the investment made to install the equipment in 5,000 or so exchanges.
Please don't forget that we have retro-fitted a Victorian era communications network for data transfer at what are incredible speeds, when you think about it. We've come a long way since 'Watson come here, I want you!'
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Ben
We have no influence

That's really very sad. And unacceptable.  Angry
I can see WHY in the first place, with an unknown product and old copper wiring, BT decided to use something like DLM to "manage" things.
In reality, they've learned little from the awful problems it causes, and the intermediates (ISP's like PlusNet) are the people who they should be listening to and who should in turn be listening to the end users!  Cry
The reality is that some LLU providers manage perfectly well, better in my humble opinion, without anything remotely resembling DLM.  Tongue
considering the investment made
Footnote: Beware the Concorde fallacy!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_costs
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

That's really very sad. And unacceptable

Fortunately not entirely true.
PlusNet ( in the shape of Dave Tomlinson ) together with other ISP's got together with BTw at the DLM Workshop last October.
The objectives were:-
Workshop Objectives
Validate the DLM and WBC profile improvements that BTW has already scheduled in for delivery/deployment.
Explore some further enhancements that BTW is investigating and how these could address specific End Users issues/requirements
Identify any remaining gaps

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: MisterW

Better tell Mr Trimble then.  Wink
Nonetheless I am reminded of what my late father often used to say when asked for directions that were going to be really tricky:
"You really would do better starting from somewhere else, in fact almost anywhere else".  Crazy
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: MisterW
PlusNet ( in the shape of Dave Tomlinson ) together with other ISP's got together with BTw at the DLM Workshop last October.
The objectives were:-
Workshop Objectives
Validate the DLM and WBC profile improvements that BTW has already scheduled in for delivery/deployment.
Explore some further enhancements that BTW is investigating and how these could address specific End Users issues/requirements
Identify any remaining gaps

As an End User, does this mean you could reduce my noise margin from 9dB to 6dB please?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HPsauce
Pro

Nail, head; sorry no! Cry
MikeyM
Grafter

Got it in one, I was forced to 15db due to a 8db noise spike that I got every 24/36 hours, even although I went along at 6db with SKY on LLU for nearly three years.
I forced the SNR down myself to 6db to get the speed I know my line can handle, but then the DLM went another step and put me on a banded profile.
I am told that I have no chance in getting the banding removed unless the line is stable, by stable they mean 72 hours without dropping connection. The only way I can get that is at 15db, which gives me the 2MB speed instead of the 4MB I know I can get. There is nowhere for me to go, apart from LLU which is what I am doing now.
The most frustrating thing to me in the defiance from Plusnet in stating that they will get my line fixed and that they will get my speed sorted, nodoby seems to be willing to admit what everyone else knows, the DLM does not work for long lines, end of. Four engineer visits and four lost Saturday mornings for me show that I have not rushed into my conclusion.
Now, should I be made ot pay for the deferred charges>>>>> Interesting?Huh
VileReynard
Hero

OfTel (or whatever they are called) have said that ISP's cannot collect the full amount of money you would have paid as a penalty for leaving early.
They can charge you a smaller amount, which reflects their costs...

BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

As it stands, we have no ability to influence DLM. Sorry.
VileReynard
Hero

Previously, (when James was in charge) it was possible to make a request to BT to alter target noise margins.
AFAIK the process took 24 hours.
Is this progress?

BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We can raise a fault and request BTW adjust the target SNR but DLM can always override this. That is the aspect that we cannot control.
E.G.
A line experiences some drops
DLM sets a target SNR of 12dB
We request it to be lowered to 9dB
The line will drop
DLM will kick in and push the target SNR to 12dB
VileReynard
Hero

Suppose the line doesn't drop - what will the DLM do then?

BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

DLM will reduce the target SNR. The value to which it reduces to and the timeframe before this happens is based on historical performance.
VileReynard
Hero

Would you care to elucidate?

HPsauce
Pro

If he did, BT would have to "terminate him with extreme prejudice".
The inner workings of DLM are not for the likes of us to know.  Angry
Though there is a fair bit of detail on Kitz site.  Wink