cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No service from July 16th

Elanora

Absolutely agree with you. Getting in touch with customer services is an ordeal and nothing gets resolved. I have been without a service since 16th July and nobody cares. We were promised a filter that never came. Plusnet's slogan " We'll do you proud " couldn't be further from the truth.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Changed thread title to reflect issue.

8 REPLIES 8
Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note:

Split from https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Feedback/Absolutely-the-worst-excuse-for-customer-service-in-U... and title changed.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Chitra195

Re: No service from July 16th

I was told I will have my line and broadband set up today. Nothing happened.

My order is still in progress. The set up is taking  too long. I am worried and feel that I took a wrong decision choosing Plusnet.

Elanora

Sadly I think this might be the case. I am moving to sky on the 2nd of August as I can't put up with the problems and the failure of PlusNet to act. I have had no refund for loss of service, it is just not good enough. I wish you well and hope you get the issues resolved.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Sorry to hear of your poor experience and your having connection problems

It looks like the component for a new microfilter was added to your account, but it wasn't actually ordered with our suppliers as hardware orders are a two-step process. I'll pass feedback on to the adviser in regards to that.

I'll order it now for you which you should receive shortly.

From testing your line, I'm not identifying the cause of the drops.

If the new filter doesn't help and if you've tried plugging the router into the test socket as explained here [and ideally a different router if you can], I'd advise getting this reported to us at http://faults.plus.net so we can arrange an engineer.

@Elanora wrote:

I have had no refund for loss of service, it is just not good enough. I wish you well and hope you get the issues resolved.

Once your fault has been resolved we'd be more than happy to refund your downtime from the point the issue was reported to us. Though I do apologise for any inconvenience caused by the problems you're having.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@Elanora,

Welcome to the forums.  Looking at the connection history posted above, it looks as though you have been connected to the internet since the 16th July, albeit unstably.  I would be surprised if this were a micro filter issue.  The purpose of the micro filter is far more to do with making the phone work better than making ADSL work.

What checks have you performed?  Is the phone line quiet?

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.

If the phone line is noisy moving to Sky is not going to resolve your connectivity issue, as that will use the same phone line as the one you have at the moment.  The MAJORITY of connectivity issues such as that illustrated above are down to the internal wiring, local interference or a problem with the line between your home and the exchange.  None of these issues get resolved by changing ISP.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Elanora

Hi Townsman,

Thanks for the reply which really isn't helpful. If you check, tests have been carried out on the line by plusnet  and no fault was found with the line. The connection is poor at the best of times but in recent weeks as been practically non functioning. I can only get on line by using the cable connection which is not what I am paying for. The micro filter was suggested by your team so perhaps you should explain the functioning to them to avoid time wasting in the future. I was told all these tests needed to be carried out before a fault can be reported to an engineer. I was also advised that I didn't qualify for a new router as I was on a rolling contract, yet today I have had a text to say a new one is in the post, why this has been sent escapes me because I have already given notice.

It appears there is a breakdown in communication at plusnet. 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi,

For clarification, I am just another customer who spends time trying to help other customers such as you.  The reality is that if the line checks out OK then there is a fair chance that the problem is within your locality.  I am not privy to the tests conducted by Plusnet.

@Elanora wrote:

I can only get on line by using the cable connection which is not what I am paying for.

If internet operation is better wired rather than over wifi then the issue might (in part) be caused by other wifi users (there are simply too many) in your locality.  What is certain from the fact that it largely works wired and the connection plot above shows connectivity since 16th July, this is not entirely a broadband issue resolvable by Plusnet (or any other ISP).

One useful means of investigating Wi-Fi issues is to obtain (off the internet) inSSIDer V3 (which is free) to look at the wifi spectrum in your neighbourhood.  That will show which channels are in use and where (if any) you might get better performance.  The 'right' channels to try are 1, 6, and 11 - co-resident is OK - over-lapping with other channels ideally should be avoided.

Which router are you using and what devices are you connecting?  If the router supports 2.4Mhz and 5Mhz bands and both use the same SSID - that can cause difficulties for some devices as they can flip-flop between the 2.4 and 5Mhz services ... which can be a real pain in the neck.  Note that though 5Mhz is somewhat faster, it has far less coverage.  General advice is to ensure that the two bands have different SSIDs.

After wifi has been eliminated you face the possibility that the intermittent connections are being caused by local RFI interference.  To look at that always takes effort.  Did you bother to do the quiet line test?  If there is ANY noise on the line, then until that is resolved, forget about trying to resolve broadband issues, broadband is not going to work optimally on a noisy line ... which needs to be addressed as a voice service fault ... even if you never use the phone!

Whatever, you've decided to jump ship - I do rather hope that I'm not right about the sources of your difficulties as changing ISP is not likely to rectify those local problems.  Good luck with Sky - some might suggest out of the frying pan and straight in to the fire! Crazy

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@Elanora wrote:
I have had a text to say a new one is in the post, why this has been sent escapes me because I have already given notice.

We haven't sent a replacement router. It appears that the system is sending out an incorrect text message when we order microfilters, apologies for that. I'll get it flagged up.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet