Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No response from support AT ALL for 5 days

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: No response from support AT ALL for 5 days

You should still go and check from the Test socket because that may indicate if you have an internal problem or not. If you haven't tried another filter either and the engineer discovers that is at fault, you may get a £60 bill!
davesellars
Dabbler

Engineer's visit went okay, he juggled some wiring between the master socket and the kitchen socket where my router is attached. Resulting router stats are attached, down sync speed is now over 3K compared to 2K earlier, PN chaps, shouldn't I be getting nearer 3K actual down speed now? Is this another profile thing?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Yes, we're waiting for your profile on BTs side to update (this won't be instant I'm afraid) before our own profile will uplift. At present it's still set to 2098 so the 2000 profile on our side is correct as things stand.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 161

Question on these line stats...
Downstream stats have changed - Attenuation from 51 to 58.5 dB and margin 12.35 to 11.4 dB.
Is not the attenuation change in the 'bad' direction?  If I am correct then the increase in speed seems strange!!  Is there the possibility that there is still room for more improvement here?
I confess that better performance with a lower SNR leaves me confused, as one would expect the opposite!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Well the change is in the good direction. The attenuation will go up if the speed goes up (and SNR goes down) but as long as the line doesn't drop and remains stable you should keep the faster speed.
It'll still take a couple of days of solid connectivity before the BT profile uplifts though.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'm not convinced that is good. Can you put the router in the test socket at the master and report the stats from there please.
Edit: I'm assuming that the engineer, if "he juggled some wiring between the master socket and the kitchen socket", gave you a proper modern master with a test socket. If he didn't he should be shot!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
davesellars
Dabbler

Well, if Matt says my profile will go up in a day or 2, that's good enough for me. I'll do a speed test over the weekend and see how it looks. The engineer put a new socket in the kitchen, but due to my other wiring issues it's just a normal extension socket not a master (I think) so I can run a cable up thru the ceiling to my router upstairs. TBH if I get 3Mbps I'm happy.
I really appreciate all the help and interest from the community, it's been a much better experience than I expected. Thanks to everyone who has contributed.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

If you appreciate the help, then why not at least have a look at what we believe is an NTE5b socket and see if there is a Test socket behind the plate. If your installation was working correctly, you ought to get a profile of around 4Mbps. Now whether the reason you aren't is due to an internal wiring problem, a faulty filter or modem/router, a line problem or exchange problem is impossible to say at this point.
This is because I see no evidence in this thread of you having tried another filter, or modem/router nor answered the questions about line noise etc that I asked earlier. You should also run the BT "Diagnostic" speedtest at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and/or http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ this will give you the IP profile for your line. According to the data in this thread you seem to be on 21CN and your BT profile should have changed immediately.. The Plusnet one, the Current Line speed (Login required) takes time to catch up.
At the moment you aren't providing the information for us to help you.
In short you aren't helping yourself, as there is still definitely something still not right.
Edit; If things with your wiring between the supposed  "master" and the kitchen aren't right, then running a cable up through the ceiling, will not change anything and even make things worse if it's a regular extension lead.
The fact that the kitchen socket is an extension doesn't matter two hoots as long as the wiring is up to the correct standard.
davesellars
Dabbler

Hmmm... nice attitude.
If I have time, and can find an opportunity over the weekend where I can remove internet access for everyone else in my family, I'll give it a go, and post some stats. I'll also try the BT speedtest you so kindly suggested  Tongue
In the end, if I'm happy with how things end up, I'll reply and close this thread. I'd really hate to waste any more of your time.
jim:quote
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: davesellars
Hmmm... nice attitude.

Indeed, careful thought out and helpful advice from a really helpful fellow customer.
I'd really hate to waste any more of your time.

What would be a waste (and rather disparaging) would be to ignore good well-meant advice having used this forum to get this far.  Wink
All Anotherones thoughts and suggestions are excellent advice to you.
davesellars
Dabbler

Wow.
I didn't set out to offend anyone on this forum, just to raise PN's attention because they hadn't responded to my ticket. They have now, and have dealt with the issue to my satisfaction.
I have also been given a lot of advice that frankly I just don't have time and opportunity to have followed up on yet.  Somehow this is now my problem for ignoring this advice.
Wow.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

We all have other things to do. Cool
Thanks to everyone who has contributed.
I have also been given a lot of advice that frankly I just don't have time and opportunity to have followed up on yet. 
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Guys, it's not everybody's first priority to rewire their internal phone network in order to squeeze the last possible few Kb/s of speed out of their connection. Not that your advice isn't greatly appreciated on here, but please try to respect that.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Matt I totally agree with you about squeezing the last few KB/s not being worth the effort (especially if it is at the expense of stability), but I don't think this is the situation here. A 7.5db increase in attenuation following an engineers visit is very wrong. I suspect there is a very significant loss of speed (possibly in the order of Mb/s) here which could be proved if there is a test socket and we can get stats from there.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
davesellars
Dabbler

I will try the master socket in the hall this weekend, time and opportunity permitting. Part of the problem is the current location of my router, which is away from any of the wall-sockets, and my reluctance to change things when I have a working (albeit possible sub-optimal) system. Also, I'm not entirely clear on what the different sockets are, and how they're wired, and what the implications of changing things around are.
For me, a stable system is far more preferable to me messing around and possibly wrecking it. I realise I can try out the master socket without breaking things, but I can't actually position my router there, so it will always be on some kind of extension (but I'm not clear what that means in detail, I'm no telephone engineer). To be fair, if jelv is right and there are more Mb/s to be had, I'd like to have them, but not if it means a lot of downtime and/or re-wiring.