Re: New accounts system

VERY strange, @StratHuh

John
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Indeed it is @jab1.

Such information easily available would be a bonus.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Anonymous
Not applicable

Never mind a trip to the opticians one has to ask why the inconsistencies, it's either another bug or something contract related.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Something for the Products Manager to look at? Can't seem to find him using the '@' tag.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

@Strat probably a daft question , but is there any possibility that those accounts are out of contract ?

My member centre certainly shows the contract dates

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Strat
Community Veteran

One account is in contract, the other account isn't.

I have tried both accounts in FF and MS Edge.

I haven't tried the 'in contract' account from its own IP...both accounts have static IPs.

To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
22over7
Rising Star

Well, I'm pleased to have given the opportunity for folks (eg @jab1, @Anonymous) to have a chuckle, but:

1. There is no such date on my page. (Sorry, but it's beyond me at this point to take a png...) 

2. The contract I have is wrongly named. I have an 80/20 fftc service, which is called there "Plusnet Unlimited Fibre". Dateless.

I believe that is what 80/20 was called when I signed up sometime in 2014. Mind you, if I'm getting something I'm not paying for, I'm very happy about that. That's what I call service!

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

I wasn't having a chuckle at you. @22over7, my post was made before that by @Strat, which seems to confirm there is a bit of a bug in the system that prevents details of some product/account types being picked up.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

One account is in contract, the other account isn't.

It's perhaps understandable why the out of contract account doesn't display any dates.

Possibly also why '''legacy' accounts aren't picked up properly, but then, is it even possible fo be ''in contract' on a legacy product ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@22over7,

If you signed up in 2014 and have not re-contracted since then, I would expect you to be now out of the (minimum term) contract, but since there is still a service delivery agreement … there IS a contract!

@MisterW@Strat,

I too do not see the contract details … but I'm not on a "minimum term" contract. Wink

As I have mentioned before, I do not feel that it is helpful referring to the contract minimum term / introductory discount period as being "The Contract".

Strat
Community Veteran

@Townman

For clarity one of the accounts I manage and referred to above is my daughter's account.

She is currently in contract (I believe 18 months) since March this year when she moved house and took the free move option in exchange for a contract renewal.

22over7
Rising Star

Sincerely, if we can't laugh about the Plusnet billing system, or our flounderings around trying to understand it, we're sunk.

FWIW, I'm on a legacy product (or at least, it's name is), with a static IP (which I don't really want, because my ping is horrible, and I keep getting switched around nameless gateways, and I don't need it, etc etc). But my bill is vaguely believable, so I'm beginning to regret having brought up the topic, in case some "correction" happens....

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Strat wrote:

@Townman

For clarity one of the accounts I manage and referred to above is my daughter's account.

I did wonder if that was the case … so please ignore the PM!!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@22over7 wrote:

FWIW, I'm on a legacy product (or at least, it's name is), with a static IP (which I don't really want, because my ping is horrible, and I keep getting switched around nameless gateways, and I don't need it, etc etc). But my bill is vaguely believable, so I'm beginning to regret having brought up the topic, in case some "correction" happens.... 

Hi,

My first reaction to your comment was "What the heck has a static IP address got to do with ping times...?".  Also that changing gateways only happens when you drop and re-establish the PPS session.

That should not happen unless you are manually bouncing the router or the VDSL is unstable.

The follow-up thought was that with a fixed IP address, these days that means that you NEED to go through a Plusnet gateway rather than going out directly through BT routing peers on the "new" network.  There is though no assurance that will give you better ping times.  You can "lose" the fixed IP address by raising a ticket in the user portal (this is one of the few reasons you can still raise a ticket.  See Manage My Account > Connection Settings > Static IP

As for the legacy product, you might find that you can shave a wedge off the price by calling COTS and asking what deal they might offer for a new contract.

22over7
Rising Star

@Townman wrote:

@22over7 wrote:

Hi,

My first reaction to your comment was "What the heck has a static IP address got to do with ping times...?".  Also that changing gateways only happens when you drop and re-establish the PPS session.

That should not happen unless you are manually bouncing the router or the VDSL is unstable

No. My modem has been in continuous sync for 81 days (since a power brown-out). My router has been up for about 70. I never disconnect PPOE manually about once in 6 months. There are several disconnects in the router log, to be sure, usually when I am in bed. 

Now, I do not know who is dropping the connection, but there is nothing in the logs to indicate the router is doing it. My hypothesis is that my connection to Plusnet/BT routing is being changed, for some reason, as seedn via http://users.plus.net/@gateway_custom?debug-ip=yes. This is confirmed by what I see in Zen's "broadband outages" page, where my exchange often turns up, in rough sync with gateway "hops".  But I could be wrong . My router is getting a bit long in the tooth.

I am in Scotland. I do not expect to have a great minimum ping. It is always 20ms, give or take about 5. I, am a nuisance to a Sheffield ISP, or to BT, down there in Englandshire.  It would be great if dropping my static IP simplified their backhaul problems enough for them to shave a few ms off my pings. I've no confidence in that, and if it makes no difference, I'm very comfortable continuing to be a nuisance. But someone may know some facts. I have read things in these forums, pertaining the new (elderly) network that make me thing there is more to this than meets your eye.