cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Plusnet routers - a downgrade

davehudds
Dabbler

New Plusnet routers - a downgrade

Has anyone else recently received a new plusnet router?
I was sent one to 'upgrade' my old Thompson speedtouch (which was originally supplied by plusnet), but the simple fact is that this is a downgrade not an upgrade in terms of security features.
If you have a speedtouch and used the feature of 'only allow new stations via registration' - that or anythings similar is not available in the new model. I used to connect all my wireless devices, and then set it so that new stations were not allowed (meaning that even if someone had the wireless key they could not connect to the router) that feature is no longer available and nothing like it.
One support technician told me the best alternative was to turn off the SSID from broadcasting, which is no use at all (I dont need to tell the tech savy guys on here why)
You also cannot rename the devices which connect to the router, in the speedtouch you could rename and devices in the device list so you knew exactly what was connected to the router at any time (now you just get the generic name and MAC address) - another downgrade.
Also the router comes with WPS automatically activated, which as we all know is not secure and actually causes vunerabilities on your network
19 REPLIES 19
ramissin
Grafter

Re: New Plusnet routers - a downgrade

Just signed up today, I receive the new router in 5-7 days , will keep you posted.
Any reason why they are doing this ?...old stock clearance ?  Wink
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Exactly the opposite - the new one is a replacement for the TG582n which is apparently now out of stock
There are a couple of threads on here bemoaning the fact that it has so many features missing
davehudds
Dabbler

Allegedy its the newest stock, so dont see it that they are clearing out old stock.
Its telling that a router from the same supplier which was issued 4 years ago has features which blows the 'upgrade' out of the water
I rang technical support upon receiving the router, and the first guy wasnt at all helpfull (why would we continue to add features to a router that people dont use he said) perhaps those of us who are security minded do use these features.
The second guy I spoke to was more helpfull, and it was the first time someone had rang and spoke to him about the issue. He couldnt believe that the features had been taken out and agreed with me that it was worrying that a newer model router had so many features lacking.
I feel I was misold the 'upgrade' and as such the new contract should be void. The way it is shipped means that anyone with a litle IT knowledge knows that it isnt as safe to use as the older models.
Plusnet need to sort this out. The interface when you dial into the IP address of the router is almost as if its been written for kids, or for people without more than afew brain cells. Its just so basic its unreal. The build quality is crap, and to the little pink stands to make the thing stand up correctly dont work properly when you add an ethernet cable to it. also one of the feet is almost useless when you add the power lead, as there isnt much room for the lead and the foot in the same place.
Its the type of thing which you would associate with a cheap chinese knock off which is sold on ebay for a couple of quid.

ramissin
Grafter

Jeez, thanks for the heads up guys, this is one disappointment after another, I'm setting this deal up for my mum, I thought I'd found a good one with PN, but it doesn't seem to be the case.
I simply found her a better phone deal with unlimited broadband, and convinced her to switch from talk talk.
So far I've discovered the £50 cashback is a grey area and the supplied router is crap.
My bad for not checking this forum before I signed up, seems I have my work cut out.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I'm sorry to hear that you're not happy with the quality of router you've received from us.
I'm not for or against your comments at all, I'm extremely interesting in what features you think would be of benefit in addition to those on the current router?
The interface is pretty basic, for good reason, not all of our customer base will have a good understanding of what  the information within a router is or means, so we've tried to keep it as a simple as possible for when/if we need to go through diagnostic checks with any of our customers over the phone.
If there's a router out there that you'd prefer, what would it be?
Just interested in your thoughts, your feedback has been truly taken on board.
ramissin
Grafter

So you've dumbed down for the masses ?...genius  Cheesy
How about an option to select which router you want when ordering ?
If there's a router out there that you'd prefer, what would it be?

ermm...the old one that had more features and didn't have the build quality of a pound shop radio ?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You do have the option to take the router we provide or you could use one of your own/purchase one that's more for your needs.
You seem to have twisted my words there...
penfold
Aspiring Pro

@chris
Personally I think there are 2 schools of thought here.... this issue has been raised a number of times by different forum members on offering a better router alongside the basic free offering.  I didnt mind the tg582n, did what it said on the tin, and was resonably configurable even uf most via telnet. The new offerings I agree with the op, they are very basic to the point of it being insulting to more technically savvy users. The only way to get to any remotely useful configuration is to use a little advertised link.
But...... saying that the majority??? of users will have little need or want for more advanced option and just want something to plug in and work, which the new offering does, and does a resonable job of doing so (I currently use one on fibre whilst I decide what to get. Was going to put my billion 7300n on, but it appears crippled by the firmware for fttc).
So.... this begs the question as to where to go. Would users pay more to get a better quality router?? from plus net or prefer to buy their own. Is it possible sagem could offer a less dumbed down firmware that more technical users would prefer?
Maybe plusnet could do some basic r&d of the userbase see what users think. I dont think a forum poll would be helpful.
Interested in other peoples views.
ps I agree with the op that its a bit flimsy and looks like a cheap chinese import. It just dosnt feel robust tbh
ramissin
Grafter

The pound shop routers are simply to save plusnet money, discussion is pointless, nothing will change.
@Chris, it seems you're just damage limitation "after the case", and as far as twisting words go, that seems to be your job.
All4One
Grafter

If you want a fancy router and are not happy with the features of the ISP router, buy your own, or pick up an older one off ebay. There's probably a fair amount of TG582n's or Home Hubs on there for a fiver Grin Crazy
I agree it would be nice for ISPs to offer a basic router which was free then let's say for £20-40 you can take a much better one.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

I presume its possible to flash the tg582n with the fttc firmware??  Mine is one without a usb port.
1 feature I did like on the 582n was the abilty to see whats attached to the  router, and the easy way to fix ip addresses.
if I can flash the fttc firmware to a non usb 582n I would be interested to know.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

@penfold, see http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,121504.0.html, particularly reply 18: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,121504.msg1189917.html#msg1189917
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: ramissin
The pound shop routers are simply to save plusnet money, discussion is pointless, nothing will change.
@Chris, it seems you're just damage limitation "after the case", and as far as twisting words go, that seems to be your job.

Fair enough if that's what you think/feel, I'll not make any further comments.
davehudds
Dabbler

This is another example of how poor the customer service levels at plusnet have got
Some one was supposed to be contacting me over this issue with a potential resolution or plan and I've heard nothing since
The support ticket has been updated by me to ask someone to sort things out and you guess no reply
Plusnet have obviously got this so wrong