cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Customer

Lynda
Grafter

New Customer

Hi there, I'm Lynda and just signed up last night. I'm leaving TalkTalk after 18 months (it's up 14th October). Mostly due to Caller Display having never worked properly for the whole length of the contract.
I also ordered their service in January 2009 before a February move and wasn't connected till April 2009 and I've still held a massive grudge over those lost 10 weeks !!
So please don't let me down, Plusnet !!
I received my emails so it's all smooth so far and thankfully I don't need TalkTalk to provide a MAC code so that's one less hold-up. I'm having broadband and phone with yourselves the same as I had there and I'm paying for Caller Display this time so it's costing a bit more overall but if it works then I don't mind.
It's handy to have the forums too.
I was confused over my proposed email. I thought it was going to be XX@plusnet.com but it seems like it's going to be AA@XX.plusnet.net. Can you explain that for me, please ?
Cheers,
Lynda~
Smiley
27 REPLIES 27
Not applicable

Re: New Customer

to the forum Lynda - it is nice to have another lady poster (there are very few of us around).
I do hope that everything goes smoothly for you.  If there are any problems it is easy to post here and someone will help I am sure.
With regards to the email address, yes it is different from the majority because you have xxx@yourusername.plus.com.
To make it less cumbersome I think that you are as well to have a short word (or initials perhaps) before the @ sign.
However, this does have advantages - one of them being the alias function which goes a long way to reducing the amount of spam, particularly when signing up for something you are not 100% sure about. 
Don't forget that you have to set up your default mailbox in the member centre then send an email to it to activate it.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Can you copy the instruction you received as it should be me@username.plus.com
However the login on your router is <username>@plusdsl.net
Lynda
Grafter

It came up automatically with the username I set up AFTER the @ when I first went to the account pages here. But AS I was signing up it asked for my choice of username and it was laid out as XX@plusnet.com
IF I have to have the XX part AFTER the @ I'll follow Poppy's advice and only use my initials.....I'd already tried test-typing that out-hehehe !! Plus, as you say,it keeps it anonymous so nobody knows if I'm a male or female....I always have email addressed like that.
I'm a bit confused about the mailbox thing and didn't create an email yet till I was sure of the way I needed to create it. I'll do that now I know-thanks for the tip and warm welcome.
Jim, that's my fault-it IS .com at the end-I'm used to .net and the servers I was looking at had the .net on the end !! Sorry 'bout that.
Cheers,
Lynda~
Undecided
Lynda
Grafter

I just tried doing an email address but I'm too new right now so need to wait a couple of days, I guess, and not be so impatient !
I did laugh to myself at somebody else new you were explaining email to using .net as well instead of the .com!!
Cheers,
Lynda~
Lips_are_sealed
Not applicable

Hope that you got it sorted - shout up if you need a bit of help. Don't forget that if you use webmail (Squirrelmail) your username is just that - username only and not your email address. Password is the one you get into the member centre with.
If you find the email addy a bit unwieldy a domain name can be had quite cheaply and PN will sort it for you.  This is what I have now and no longer use my Force 9 one as I found it a bit long-winded.  However, with just your initials it should be OK.
When you are sorted, if you fancy using the alias function and get a bit muddled with it, let us know and we can help you. It took me ages to understand it but it's really is quite easy when you know how. 
et0
Grafter

Good luck Lynda!   I'm sure the majority of transfers go fine.
Still happy with mine so far, as I said in my thread the main problem was that with streaming now usable (it really was throttled to death on previous ISP, not just a bad line as I thought) I am galloping through the bandwidth at a scary rate!  
Awaiting the phone to change over next...
By the way I haven't checked out the email setup myself as I never use the ISP supplied email domain, I think it's far better to use another service so that you can maintain the same address even if changing - I use my own domain forwarding to gmail.
Lynda
Grafter

Thanks for the information, Poppy. What's the alias function and is Squirrel Mail the Plusnet email's name ? You lost me there a bit !  Huh
Et0, I take it you're a gamer ? I don't do any of that, not watch a lot of video/film online so I should be OK.
I DO have a Hotmail account but I prefer to keep my emails on my own PC if files and I've changed ISP's so much I'm pretty used to updating everybody now.Thankyou, though.
Lynda X
Smiley
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

If you prefer to keep emails on your PC, as I do, you may be interested in setting up Outlook, Thunderbird, or whatever email client you use, to work with your Hotmail account. http://tinyurl.com/aw5g3a
One of our resident experts will be along shortly to answer your other queries.  Smiley
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Lynda
Grafter

That's very helpful indeed ! Thanks for that, 4C !
Cheers, Lynda X
Smiley
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

You're welcome.  Smiley
In the absence of the predicted further info, you may find this useful - http://www.plus.net/support/email/email_explained.shtml
As you've used Hotmail, you'll be familiar with webmail. You can access Plusnet's email with the email client on your PC, of course, and also via webmail. Squirrelmail is not exclusive to PN - it's the name of the webmail application that PN, and many other organisations, use. There's a link at the top right of most, if not all, PN website pages.
If you do use it, be sure to go to Options > Personal Information and change the default addresses.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Santiago
Grafter

Quote from: 4C
you may be interested in setting up Outlook, Thunderbird, or whatever email client you use, to work with your Hotmail account.
I could never get Hotmail to work in Outlook
Not applicable

What's the alias function

It is an alternative email address that you can delete if it becomes a source of spam.
Supposing that you sign up for something - we will call it company xyz.  Go along to the email settings in the member centre and click on the alias tab. Follow the instructions to set up a new alias and input xyz@yourusername.plus.com.  Within 30 minutes (usually much less) it will be ready to use.
Now, when you sign up for said company give them their own address as aforementioned.  If this company subsequently becomes the source of spam you will know straight away because the address in the headers will be clear to see.  All you have to do then is  to delete the alias and you have zapped the spam.  It is pretty useful for things that you are not 100% sure about and it will safeguard your default email address.  I only use the latter for people that I am 100% sure about.
is Squirrel Mail the Plusnet email's name ?
  SquirrelMail is just the webmail system that Plusnet use.  If you look to the top right of the page when you go to the member centre you will see Webmail.  Click on this and it will take you to SquirrelMail.
It is quite basic but adequate and is handy if you want to access your emails whilst away from your own computer.  When logging in just use your username, not email address, plus your password.  Some folk never use it but I use it a lot as I only download emails that I want to keep, deleting the rest before opening Windows Mail.
Lynda
Grafter

Thanks for the explanations, Poppy-the alias thing sounds handy. So we can use our own email address but the alias will be tied in with that particular sign-up ?
tried accessing Squirrel Mail but it won't let me yet.I guess the new account isn't far enough along to do it yet.
I'm like you and only use Webmails to access emails at the office !!
Cheers, Lynda X
Smiley
Not applicable

Once the broadband is active and you have set up your email addy in the member centre you should be able to get into SquirrelMail HERE.
Yes, that particular email address will only be known to that organization or person to whom you have supplied it.
They won't know any other so if you get spam on that addy then you know exactly where it has come from.  It can then be safely deleted if you wish.